People who shouldn’t own gas powered equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those lithium ion batteries are stored and shipped with some but not full charge for a reason. If stale gasoline is a problem there is a chance being put away discharged is going to happen.
depending upon chemistry half charge is better... owner needs to read up on the checmistry of the batteries they use for best battery life.

Perhaps the difficulty starting the saw is caused by the woman remembering what the dealer told her or the owners manual told her. My Stihl MS210 was a royal pain to start, cold or warm. The dealer told me the exact same thing as is printed in the manual. If I follow those directions, I pull 6 or more times to start the saw.

For whatever reason, MY saw starts from cold by setting on full choke and pulling twice. By cold I mean 35 degrees F or less. Cool gets full choke and one pull. Cool meaning running more than half an hour ago but still some heat in the engine. Then squeeze the throttle to set to half choke and one or two pulls and the saw starts right up and will idle with zero trouble.

When the saw was brand new, I assumed it was because everything was seating and very tight. Now, after 60 hours it still likes the routine that I listed above.

No two mechanical things are exactly the same, just like people...they are all different.

I'm confused. Are you asking the planet advice? Are you looking for validation to buy your relative a battery saw? and profit from her 2 Husqvarnas? This forum has had some doosy's, but really? How bored can 1 man get.....keyboard alert = nobody gives a crap.
Go be a **** somewhere else

What do you do when someone brings you saw that they say don’t run. You notice that the saw are relatively new, but dirty, with a bar and chain the need serious attention?

my SIL just brought me 2 husky 450 saws saying they don’t run. Picked the first up, confirmed it had gas, put the choke on and pulled it over 8-10 times. It fired right up. Idled fine.

the second had a primer, primed the carb, pulled the choke, saw started in 2 pulls. Idled fine.
I doubt either saw has more than 10 tanks thru them. Quite obvious to me that either she doesn’t know what she is doing or doesnt have the strength to pull them over.

I’m thinking I will trade her a brand new battery powered saw and sell the 2 450s to pay for it.
Thoughts?
I usually try to get over to do all the serious cutting at their farm, but it’s 4 hours 1 way. So the occasional downed tree or branch would be all she needs to account for on her own.
Yeah ,dumb people shouldn't operate gas chainsaws or anything except the TV remote control... 😂
Just my point of view ...

Perhaps the difficulty starting the saw is caused by the woman remembering what the dealer told her or the owners manual told her. My Stihl MS210 was a royal pain to start, cold or warm. The dealer told me the exact same thing as is printed in the manual. If I follow those directions, I pull 6 or more times to start the saw.

For whatever reason, MY saw starts from cold by setting on full choke and pulling twice. By cold I mean 35 degrees F or less. Cool gets full choke and one pull. Cool meaning running more than half an hour ago but still some heat in the engine. Then squeeze the throttle to set to half choke and one or two pulls and the saw starts right up and will idle with zero trouble.

When the saw was brand new, I assumed it was because everything was seating and very tight. Now, after 60 hours it still likes the routine that I listed above.

No two mechanical things are exactly the same, just like people...they are all different.
I am almost 40 years old and very new to chainsaws. But I read the manual of my Makita EA6100P from page 1 to the end of it letter by letter. And yes, it's "acting" every time as you say: lever up on choke, 2 full pulls , and with the lever on start position starts 1 time every time COLD engine! Nevermind when warm... It's a 2 finger job by then!

Back