People who shouldn’t own gas powered equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that many electric tools are junk and many batteries don’t last. That said I have a makita drill I bought when I bought my house 35 years ago. One of the two original batteries still works good, had to replace the other. I’ve junked two skills and a craftsman drill in the same period. I’m wondering if the Makitas are still as good or have they cheapened up to compete with China?
Warning, Thread Drift, Warning

I don’t know if Makita are still as good or not, I have, I’m pretty sure every tool offered in the 9.6 volt stick battery line up, from about the same time. They just keep on going and going.

The batteries are the only issue, Makita quit producing the 9.6V stick batteries. Even the batteries would last longer than you would expect, I’m sure that I had many batteries last 10-15 years

The 9.6v equipment covers 90+% of my needs, if I need a heavier drill, I have a 1/2” skill corded, that will break my arm if it binds up.

I just ordered a pair of after market batteries, I will be curious to see how they hold up, and perform compared to the Makita original batteries

Doug

Doug,
Try checking directly with Makita. I have a 9.6V drill and was told by distributors NiCd batteries were no longer made and I had to buy NiMh batteries. Called Makita service to find out if my charger would work with the NiMh batteries and they said no, but i could order the NiCd batteries direct from them!

Doug,
Try checking directly with Makita. I have a 9.6V drill and was told by distributors NiCd batteries were no longer made and I had to buy NiMh batteries. Called Makita service to find out if my charger would work with the NiMh batteries and they said no, but i could order the NiCd batteries direct from them!
Thank You, did they say if the Ni-MH batteries are still available, those are my preference

Doug

You don't have a problem that a forum should be expected to solve. You are trying to make a decision? Thats what we do on our own......keep your sister in laws 2 perfectly good saws, sell them and pocket the dough, and tell her she needs to go spend more money........

Than there's is the honesty that no forum can ever provide. You are either a thief in the night, or her knight in shining armour. Nobody cares what your decision is......and forums aren't places to wander and type dumb-ass musings........
I think you are the one with dumb musings that need to be taken elsewhere

So you want the 9034 battery. i did not ask about them as I do not have a NiMh capable charger. Phone your nearest Makita service center and talk to the parts person directly.

Also there are a number of aftermarket NiMh battery manufacturers, or you could order a custom welded battery assembly from DigiKey and rebuild one of your dead batteries. Opening the case is a bit of a pain...

So you want the 9034 battery. i did not ask about them as I do not have a NiMh capable charger. Phone your nearest Makita service center and talk to the parts person directly.

Also there are a number of aftermarket NiMh battery manufacturers, or you could order a custom welded battery assembly from DigiKey and rebuild one of your dead batteries. Opening the case is a bit of a pain...

I have a Ni-MH charger, and prefer the Ni-MH batteries, if available.

I used to work a couple miles from the Portland Makita service center, I will give them a call.

I was told that the 9.6V batteries were NLA, I wasn’t aware that the service centers may still be able to get them, I will give them a call

I have ordered a pair of after market Ni-MH batteries, but I have found that often after market isn’t the same quality as OEM, so I was hesitant to try them, but I finally broke down and ordered a couple, we’ll see how they work out

Thank You again
Doug

I have a heavy duty Milwaukee drill that used NiCad batteries which never seem to last more than a few years then they had nickel metal hydride that would still use the same charger and it lasted longer than Nicad
Now you can get an adapter and buy another charger and use lithium batteries in the same drill but that's a lot of changing things around for only having on for drill about 12 years

The battery saw will be so easy to use, and so compelling. that she'll never pick up the gas saw (thus it sits).
A battery saw completely kicks ass over gas (__within it's realm of usage__)
and I suspect that's __her realm of usage__.

You didn't say she cuts firewood for a living (etc).
Gas saws are for people who cut wood for a living.
People who cut wood for a living can make significant use of a (good) battery saw too.

Sitting there un-used for 2 years between uses....
....well you know what that means....
You'd still the one who has to fix it.
But the battery saw?
Maybe you only have to sharpen the chain (or teach her how to).

Battery saws put a lot of Gas saws on the shelf (and "for sale").
Maybe talk her into getting a smaller gas saw that she can at least start.
But she has to know how to actually __perform the special care of a gas saw__ too.
Two Makitas 24%22 alder logs.jpg
I have two of the Makita top-handle saws ($169), and lots of 18V batteries.
Makita saw was a game- changer.
My Stihls sit there ready for action, with nice sharp (un-used) chains.

I put an 18" bar on one of the Makitas just for the extra reach.
The duo has been really good.

I had an Echo battery saw, now have Makita and Stihl. No real complaints on any of them when used within their limitations. Two batteries on the 56v Echo and I was wore out. Only thing to watch is use a winter grade bar oil or warm the bar oil when it gets below 50° F. You don't have the engine to warm the oil. They are generally heavier for their size, but that is offset by minimal vibration. That said they tend to be less fatiguing as you are not normally cutting bigger stuff.

"Sometimes it's also just nice to pick something up and have it "just work" vs having to deal with rotten fuel lines, hard diaphragms, etc.
John (late mate) and I used to occasionally - and by that I mean often - whine to each other that some day, some way, we were going to get to where we didn't have to fix the thing we needed to fix the thing we needed to fix the thing we needed to fix...

Yeah - sometimes it's *real* nice to just pick something up and have it "just work".

A few years back I visited a local small engine shop for a lawn mower part. While I was there I asked him what percent of equipment came in because of gas related problems, his reply was instant- "90 percent".
That alone is reason enough to consider electric powered equipment for the occasional user.

The battery powered stuff is plenty strong enough to do real cutting, stihl is setting up to release one thats supposed to be on par with the 362 some time next year. The issue is needing 700 worth of batteries to run it half a day. I would look seriously at the ms250-C + a battery powered saw. The battery saw will cut a few small branches, no more than 10 minutes of run time on one huge battery then its a few hours to recharge. Those easy start saws require very little effort to turn over, my 8 year old can fire mine off easily yet can not handle carrying it to the truck. I agree with her needing to use canned fuel .
I wonder how many cans of fuel it takes to cover the cost of a battery?

I wonder how many cans of fuel it takes to cover the cost of a battery?
A lot...

I went through this earlier in the year over hedge trimmers. I despise gas powered hedge trimmers. Worst tool to ever have had a gasoline engine affixed to it. So I ended up with Milwaukee's cordless string trimmer & attachment system. The kicker though - the 8ah battery that's included is a whopping $200 or thereabouts retail. :oops:

You can buy a whole lot of premium & 2-stroke mix for $200... A couple year's worth...

And it seems there's no short cut either. Buying knockoff batteries on ebay for 30% results in a junk pack that won't charge after just a few uses... So it's pay out the nose for OEM batteries, or bust.

That being said, having cordless hedge trimmers was worth it. (The pole saw isn't bad either.)

I use a Stihl MS500i for my firewood. It is the least fatiguing saw I have ever used, as it gets the job done quickly, and does not weigh too much. Still, there are times when I wish I had an electric for when I have just a few small things to cut up around the yard, or to take with me on my tractor when mowing trails in the woods. I like my electric pole saw. Sure, it is not as fast as a gas saw, but it is more convenient. Forget the macho stuff. Use whatever works for you that gets the job done. And never think of a chainsaw as a toy. The weakest chainsaw on the market can still tear through flesh in the blink of an eye.

To get back on topic, I'd certainly recommend a cordless chainsaw for occasional homeowner duty.

#1 question - Does your sister-in-law currently have any cordless tools? Does that brand make a cordless chainsaw? Good - Buy THAT one, so that she doesn't have to invest in a new battery platform.
#2 question - No, she doesn't? What stores are nearby? Hardware stores? Box store? Buy the cordless chainsaw that also has a cordless drill in the same battery platform.

I'd estimate about 5% of the US population are capable of using and maintaining gas
equipment like a chainsaw, the rest are just too dumb.
Maybe "dumb" isn't a good word, or maybe "uneducated" is more accurate. The last time I was in the big box home improvement store the battery outdoor power equipment outnumbered the gas tools 3:1. That's all driven by consumer demand, and the average consumer is getting more simple-minded. They can charge a battery and flip a switch, forget about mixing gas, using a choke, clearing a flooded engine...that's just us old-fashioned hold-outs, haha.
By golly MacAttack I believe you're on to something. :)

I will say this to accompany my previous comment, I also think the battery saws are a fantastic option for people that aren't raised by backwoods grease-monkeys like I was, or would physically struggle with a gas saw. Or even more so, use it so infrequently that a gas saw would have all kinds of stale fuel issues.
I bought my Homelite SXL from an older guy who said for what he needed he was getting a battery saw and would be much happier.

Latest posts

Back