Perfect 1 Saw plan for all situations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thing I find is that the newer saws dont vibate your hands like the old ones. Not a problem for occasional users but lifetime users with carpal tunnel will appreciate less vibes. This is something not many people dont take into consideration when comparing on You tube for instance. I noticed my Dolmar 7900 is way smoother than all the older Stihls The Stihl 461 is a vibrating SOB!
Fewer…🤣

You won't find too many people that use a saw for a living that would trade their 572/462/400/500i/661 for a 372/044/046/066 or any of the older models.

These new saws cut faster..smoother..burn less gas..I get the nostalgia, I'm a nostalgic person myself..but I couldn't keep a straight face and say any of those older saws are better than their replacements for real world work.
My non ported 066 (dual port muf/red light) is actually faster with a 24” than my ported 661 with that same bar/chain.
go to a 36 or 42” and all that changes.
vibes are about the same but the 661 is definitely more comfortable to use for long days.

Can I have two saws, they would be husqvarna because as much as the stihl looks nice I am a loyal husky fan 😎
The two that I have used most and still do us is a 254 xpg and 266xp, they have cut all I have come across apart from a spell where I wish I had a 100cc husky but a friend had one and I used that, great saw but glad to give it him back. These days my goto saw has to be my 550xpg, it really is a lovely saw and good on your hands. For bigger wood I use a 266xp and that does everything I'm likely to come across these day, and age being a big factor. I too have VWF and pay the price for years of using vibrating tools, but a man has to play with engines and tools so would do it all again, maybe with gloves on.
The 550xpg does not vibrate and is easy to start, a real old mans saw BUT very fast to suit the young who probably thinks it's too small but trust me..... we have been there and done it, now with age and all that comes with it we want something light reliable and easy.
Whatever you run, be safe enjoying it when you can. Things change quicker than you think.

Latest posts

Back