Perfect 1 Saw plan for all situations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillettadam

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, I think I've finally figured out the perfect 1 saw plan and it is as follows: I started using saws a couple of years ago after finding a scrap 50cc ish oleomac. I used this for a while, and it was really good. I decided to upgrade to a pro grade stihl equivalent which was the 261. A very different animal, and even more fun than the oleomac. A few bigger jobs came about and a friend and I decided to do some planking so I gained an 076 and an 075 for parts. A little while later a 500i came up which was handy for running with the mill when there are awkward bits and for doing some of the medium sized bits. The mill outgrew the 076 so this has now got an 880 on it. At some point a 150 top handle joined the crew as well, and a handful of project saws have appeared.

So my perfect 1 saw plan is a 50cc oleomac... and an ms261, and an ms150, and an 076 and an ms880 and a 500i. Plus a handfull of projects. Now who mentioned CAD? 🤔

If I was picking one saw, it would be big enough to tackle the biggest tree I would encounter.
My thought exactly, so I'd go with my Homelite Super 1050. When I had 2 of them I kept a 24" bar on one and a 36" bar on the other. If I needed more, I have a 45" for it also.
4laqa2f.jpg

In what I have owned and now own, the 400c is the best 1 saw plan.

I’m inclined to agree. Ran one side by side with my ported 5100, they handled very similarly (16” bar) for blocking up firewood but the 400 will pull more bar more easily than the 5100 will, even net of grinding and a pop-up.

I have generally always had only one saw at a time. Currently I have an MS500i, and it is my favorite saw I have ever used. Though it is the most powerful, it is the least fatiguing to use. I doubt I will get another saw in my lifetime, except maybe an electric model for some quick trimming.

Has to be my Husqvarna 372. I run a 28 and that handles most trees up here in Northern California. I could run a 32 (with sharp skip chain) if I had too, could also throw a 20 on it if need be for limbing or bucking up real small trees. But being 6’4 I always keep the 28 on for pretty much anything.

I'd really like to run the 462. Better for longer bars, I would think. The 400 feels maxed out with a 24" B&C. I bet the 462 is very comfortable with a 28 and sparingly with a 32.
To me, the 462 just feels like a slightly upsized 400, in power, weight, etc.

For me, a 1 saw plan is impossible...I need at least a larger sized falling saw as well as a climbing saw. Additionally, it can be really helpful to have a back up to each of those sizes. I've shown up to a climbing job before and my 1 climbing saw I had, suddenly developed an air leak.

For the sake of the thread though, either the 462r or 500i for a 1 saw plan. I can easily run a 36" on the 500 and I could even do the same with the 462 that I ported, although it's not ideal on the 462. Drop down to a 28" lwb, and both handle well enough to cut smaller stuff. I really like my 400, mine's ported, has the wrap handle, HO oiler, etc...but I generally prefer only running a 28" on it. Mine has the power and oil output now to run a 32", but it's a bit nose heavy with that set up. A 28" lwb is its "happy place," I don't even bother running a 25" on it anymore.

Has to be my Husqvarna 372. I run a 28 and that handles most trees up here in Northern California. I could run a 32 (with sharp skip chain) if I had too, could also throw a 20 on it if need be for limbing or bucking up real small trees. But being 6’4 I always keep the 28 on for pretty much anything.
Nothing against the 372, but my old 044 mag is my best all around saw!

10mm 044. In the 80s-90s all the manufacturers were putting out some awesome stuff. No emissions yet, high performance, simple to work on, good antivibe, no electronics. I have around 50+\- saws majority are in that timeframe. Just used that saw today. Convince me otherwise. Pictured with another 4 star saw, Poulan 3450.A6A3EB14-AF02-4C5C-A6D6-7E9BC055EFC8.jpegA530A0DA-46FB-414C-BE86-6F1C6CB9C8D6.jpeg

10mm 044. In the 80s-90s all the manufacturers were putting out some awesome stuff. No emissions yet, high performance, simple to work on, good antivibe, no electronics. I have around 50+\- saws majority are in that timeframe. Just used that saw today. Convince me otherwise. Pictured with another 4 star saw, Poulan 3450.View attachment 1052172View attachment 1052173
I have both of these saws, just finished an MS 460 Stihl, Meteor top end, OEM everything else. It's the 3rd one I've redone from scratch.

10mm 044. In the 80s-90s all the manufacturers were putting out some awesome stuff. No emissions yet, high performance, simple to work on, good antivibe, no electronics. I have around 50+\- saws majority are in that timeframe. Just used that saw today. Convince me otherwise. Pictured with another 4 star saw, Poulan 3450.View attachment 1052172View attachment 1052173
Most things were better in those days

Hi all, I think I've finally figured out the perfect 1 saw plan and it is as follows: I started using saws a couple of years ago after finding a scrap 50cc ish oleomac. I used this for a while, and it was really good. I decided to upgrade to a pro grade stihl equivalent which was the 261. A very different animal, and even more fun than the oleomac. A few bigger jobs came about and a friend and I decided to do some planking so I gained an 076 and an 075 for parts. A little while later a 500i came up which was handy for running with the mill when there are awkward bits and for doing some of the medium sized bits. The mill outgrew the 076 so this has now got an 880 on it. At some point a 150 top handle joined the crew as well, and a handful of project saws have appeared.

So my perfect 1 saw plan is a 50cc oleomac... and an ms261, and an ms150, and an 076 and an ms880 and a 500i. Plus a handfull of projects. Now who mentioned CAD? 🤔
I've never heard of Oleomac. Is that one of those chinese Zenoah clones?

Back