Perfect 1 Saw plan for all situations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing against the 372, but my old 044 mag is my best all around saw!
The thing I find is that the newer saws dont vibate your hands like the old ones. Not a problem for occasional users but lifetime users with carpal tunnel will appreciate less vibes. This is something not many people dont take into consideration when comparing on You tube for instance. I noticed my Dolmar 7900 is way smoother than all the older Stihls The Stihl 461 is a vibrating SOB!

The thing I find is that the newer saws dont vibate your hands like the old ones. Not a problem for occasional users but lifetime users with carpal tunnel will appreciate less vibes. This is something not many people dont take into consideration when comparing on You tube for instance. I noticed my olmar 7900 is way smooter than all the older Stihls The Stihl 461 is a vibrating SOB!
Grab an old homelite from 40 yrs ago and run it for 10 min, my hands take a half an hr to get the feeling back, 😂! The 044 from 20 yrs ago is light yrs ahead of those old homies! Power to weight ratio is where I grade a saw, along with parts availability and ease of repair.

Grab an old homelite from 40 yrs ago and run it for 10 min, my hands take a half an hr to get the feeling back, 😂! The 044 from 20 yrs ago is light yrs ahead of those old homies! Power to weight ratio is where I grade a saw, along with parts availability and ease of repair.
Well were do you think I got Carpal Tunnel from in the first place? They could smoke out Hornets pretty good too. Have you tried a brand new Stihl at all?

I agree on power to weight 100 percent but take into consideration ergonomics,handling,balance and vibes .

Well were do you think I got Carpal Tunnel from in the first place? They could smoke out Hornets pretty good too. Have you tried a brand new Stihl at all?
Don't do much cutting anymore since I sold my mill, just firewood now so I haven't had a newer saw in my hands yet. Took 2 ms 461s and made 1 for an arborist friend, that's the newest saw I've handled lately. I'm sure they would be the same difference as comparing the old homes to my ms440.

I agree on power to weight 100 percent but take into consideration ergonomics,handling,balance and vibes .
Don't do much cutting anymore since I sold my mill, just firewood now so I haven't had a newer saw in my hands yet. Took 2 ms 461s and made 1 for an arborist friend, that's the newest saw I've handled lately. I'm sure they would be the same difference as comparing the old homes to my ms440.
I sold my 461 because it was a hand vibraing SOB! Try a 500i Grizz you will never want to go back.

I sold my 461 because it was a hand vibraing SOB! Try a 500i Grizz you will never want to go back.
Too rich for my blood, but would love to give it a test! My son and my best friends son are both pro arborists, so I'm sure one of them will have the 500i in their hands soon, then I'll have a chance to test drive! Just gave my son a ms 200t for Christmas, went through it with all oem parts, he had his eye on it for a while!

I sold my 461 because it was a hand vibraing SOB! Try a 500i Grizz.
Too rich for my blood, but would love to give it a test! My son and my best friends son are both pro arborists, so I'm sure one of them will have the 500i in their hands soon, then I'll have a chance to test drive! Just gave my son a ms 200t for Christmas, went through it with all oem parts, he had his eye on it for a while!
Try one .

IF I had to be on a 1 saw plan, it would be a 60cc saw. 50cc is good, but I think 60cc would be better. Especially if you get into bigger wood on occasion.
Depends on the average size that you are cutting daily. If it is smaller go with the 50cc and vice versa. Only the operator know sof his encounters in detail. I know we were able to use a 50 cc saw in a Tree in a pinch.

I could be perfectly fine with either a 590 or 620 Echo. My 590 has been through hell and back twice and it still cuts like the day I bought it. My new 620 has the same first impressions, love that saw too. They aint the lightest 60cc on the market, but either one pulls a 24" full comp easily, and IMO you cant beat them for an inexpensive firewood saw

I started cutting in high school in the late 90s, my cousins and I. We used what my dad and uncle bought new in the late 70s HOMELITE XL12 and Poulan S25DA till 2005 when I bought my first brand new saw a Dolmar PS 540 and my cousin bought his 290 Farmboss. Those saws felt like they weren’t even running compared to the Dolmars and stihls. So I guess I don’t notice the vibrations compare to the rigid mount saws.

10mm 044. In the 80s-90s all the manufacturers were putting out some awesome stuff. No emissions yet, high performance, simple to work on, good antivibe, no electronics. I have around 50+\- saws majority are in that timeframe. Just used that saw today. Convince me otherwise. Pictured with another 4 star saw, Poulan 3450.View attachment 1052172View attachment 1052173
You won't find too many people that use a saw for a living that would trade their 572/462/400/500i/661 for a 372/044/046/066 or any of the older models.

These new saws cut faster..smoother..burn less gas..I get the nostalgia, I'm a nostalgic person myself..but I couldn't keep a straight face and say any of those older saws are better than their replacements for real world work.

You won't find too many people that use a saw for a living that would trade their 572/462/400/500i/661 for a 372/044/046/066 or any of the older models.

These new saws cut faster..smoother..burn less gas..I get the nostalgia, I'm a nostalgic person myself..but I couldn't keep a straight face and say any of those older saws are better than their replacements for real world work.
100% agree. Really the new saws arnt that much, if any harder to work on. Still a very simple engine.

Latest posts

Back