Pferd chain sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New jack lumberjack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone can help me figure out what file size I need for an Oregon 72LPX070G chain. I'm looking at the pferd file guided sharpener. Any help is appreciated.20200524_124809.jpg20200524_124753.jpg

13/64 or 7/32 for a 3/8 chain. I use 13/64 on my 3/8 stihl chain. Welcome to AS.
Both sizes of file work for 3/8" chain. However, for the Pferd 2 in 1 (CS-X Filing Guide) if that is what @New jack lumberjack is asking about you NEED 13/34 13/64. The guide that takes 7/32 files is for .404 chain and the guides do not rest on the next tooth forward to set the depth gauge correctly.

Both sizes of file work for 3/8" chain. However, for the Pferd 2 in 1 (CS-X Filing Guide) if that is what @New jack lumberjack is asking about you NEED 13/34. The guide that takes 7/32 files is for .404 chain and the guides do not rest on the next tooth forward to set the depth gauge correctly.
13/64' th?

Welcome to A.S.!

WOW! Seen essentially the same question come up at least 3 times, in the last few days, across a few different sites!

- Pferd makes the STIHL 2-in-1, and sells it in a few different colors.
- STIHL recommends 13/64" files for its 3/8" pitch chain, Oregon recommends 7/32" files for their 3/8" pitch chain.
So Pferd follows the STIHL guideline and recommends its 13/64 2-in-1 sharpener for 3/8" pitch chains, and offers a 7/32" version for STIHL .404 pitch chain.

**** But the .404 chain uses a 0.030 depth gauge setting, instead of the more common 0.025" - this may be too aggressive for your 3/8" chain, along with the fit issue that @ATH mentioned.***

So, go with the 13/64" model, if you want to use this type of file guide (unless you want to experiment with fitting larger diameter files in it, perhaps with a little Dremel work).

Philbert

Welcome to A.S.!

WOW! Seen essentially the same question come up at least 3 times, in the last few days, across a few different sites!

- STIHL recommends 13/64" files for its 3/8" pitch chain, Oregon recommends 7/32" files for their 3/8" pitch chain.
So Pferd follows the STIHL guideline and recommends its 13/64 2-in-1 sharpener for 3/8" pitch chains, and offers a 7/32" version for STIHL .404 pitch chain.

**** But the .404 chain uses a 0.030 depth gauge setting, instead of the more common 0.025" - this may be too aggressive for your 3/8" chain, along with the fit issue that @ATH mentioned.***

So, go with the 13/64" model, if you want to use this type of file guide (unless you want to experiment with fitting larger diameter files in it, perhaps with a little Dremel work).

Philbert
Honestly, I'm not a fan of paying for sharpening. I am just looking for a file that can be used quick and easy with good results. This one seems to be the one I want. I just couldn't find a definitive answer from anywhere on the correct size. I can understand why others were asking as well. I'm new to this so, any corrections or suggestions are more than welcome.

Welcome to A.S.!

Philbert
I bought a 2-in-1 from the Pferd booth at TCIA. They told me they recommend either file size for 38" chain, but recommend the 13/64" for the 2-in-1. I told them I had multiple boxes of 7/32" files and if that would work with 3/8" chain, I'd prefer it for that reason. They happily sold it to me... then I got home and tried it out. That is how I learned it doesn't work! Not a big deal...that one went to the Tree Fund silent auction and I picked up the right size.

I admittedly stink at hand sharpening, but don't want to always grind. These certainly make a huge difference for me. I think my biggest problem is I get too far down into the tooth. This helps prevent that. I was getting fairly decent with just a file...but this was game changing to me.

Back