Pferd CS-X sharpener question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnutz6383

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently ordered the Pferd CS-X sharpener to sharpen my 3/8" chains, namely the Oregon 72EXL081G and 72EXL070G. Oregon calls for a 7/32" file for that chain, Pferd's CS-X brochure for a 3/8” pitch chain says 13/64".

One of the threads here about the Pferd CS-X sharpener mentioned that the angle guide is set to 30°. Oregon's charts call for 25°.

I'm new to sharpening chains, I typically had them sharpened at my local Ace, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm gaining/losing by filing an an angle different by 5° or using a 7/32" diameter file vs a 13/64".

Are these differences anything to even stress about?

I use the .325 one on oregon chains.
The first time you use it it'll take a few extra swipes to get the angle changed and the file size is so close it's a non issue after the first sharpening.
I like the 30 degree angle better it's a hair faster cutting.

I use the .325 one on oregon chains.
The first time you use it it'll take a few extra swipes to get the angle changed and the file size is so close it's a non issue after the first sharpening.
I like the 30 degree angle better it's a hair faster cutting.
So you use the one with 3/16" file on 3/8" chains? Just making sure I'm understanding. Thanks

I'm using the .325 one on .325 chain. I was trying to point out I was using the sthil 30 degree angle on oregon chain without issue.
Aaah, I got it now. Not that it may matter, as the replies indicate, but for some of the .325 chains Oregon specifies 30°, and for others 25°. At least according to their angle guide document.

Attachments

• 2020-FilingGrindingAngles.pdf
    396.5 KB · Views: 0
Use whichever one that fits the pitch of the chain you are trying to sharpen. Pferd make the 2 in 1 sharpener for Stihl, and Stihl calls for a 13/64 file for their 3/8 chains, where everyone else recommends 7/32. It’s fine either way as long as you’re using the one with the same pitch as your chain.

As far as angles, any chain can be filed any way that best suits your conditions. Typically, chains with better steel and thicker chrome plating recommend a sharper angle, because it will cut faster and the steel they used won’t dull as quick.

Basically, if you want your chain to cut fast, use a sharper angle, knowing it will dull quicker. If you want it to last longer, file it straighter across.

I recently ordered the Pferd CS-X sharpener to sharpen my 3/8" chains, namely the Oregon 72EXL081G and 72EXL070G. Oregon calls for a 7/32" file for that chain, Pferd's CS-X brochure for a 3/8” pitch chain says 13/64".

One of the threads here about the Pferd CS-X sharpener mentioned that the angle guide is set to 30°. Oregon's charts call for 25°.

I'm new to sharpening chains, I typically had them sharpened at my local Ace, so I'm not exactly sure what I'm gaining/losing by filing an an angle different by 5° or using a 7/32" diameter file vs a 13/64".

Are these differences anything to even stress about?
My advice is to send the Pferd contraption back and just get a Oregon roller guide for the chain you intend to run. These work much better IME.

Aaah, I got it now. Not that it may matter, as the replies indicate, but for some of the .325 chains Oregon specifies 30°, and for others 25°. At least according to their angle guide document.

I like mine. I have one for 3/8lp, .325 and 3/8. It only takes a few strokes to get it sharp unless you have some damaged cutters. Plus it files the rakers at the same time. It's quick and easy to use once you get the hang of it. A proficient hand filer can produce a better chain, but I'm happy with the way my saws cut using this guide. It's just like everything else, some like them and some don't.

I like mine and mostly use mine in the woods to touch up chains.
You dont need anything special to set the saw on or hold it while using these sharpener's, I can set the saw on the rack of the atv or a stump and get good results. If I try to sharpen free hand in those spots I get crappy results.

Back