Pferd sharpener, did I get a Limon?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markup98

Reaction score
Hey guys, I ordered a pferd sharpener from Amazon. They had two options the original and a new one. I got the original. That flat file and one of the round wiggle side to side and up and down. Probably about 1/32 or a little more. I don't have any sharpening experience so I was wondering if this is acceptable or will it cause a problem.

3/16 cs-x file
Sharpening .325 Simi chisel chain from Bailey's. Sc20

Hey guys, I ordered a pferd sharpener from Amazon. They had two options the original and a new one. I got the original. That flat file and one of the round wiggle side to side and up and down. Probably about 1/32 or a little more. I don't have any sharpening experience so I was wondering if this is acceptable or will it cause a problem.

3/16 cs-x file
That is normal. You can open the end to remove them for replacement. Make sure you put them back in properly if you do. They work pretty well. I can do better on my own now but they do work well.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3/16 cs-x file
Every 2 in 1 file is a lemon. They really don’t work. The concept is nice, but in reality, they’re junk. I owned 5 of them for every size chain and brought them OEM Stihl. I sold them all after constant frustration. Buy a round file, a flat file and a progressive raker gauge it’s really not hard to do and the results are far far superior, even from someone who has an hours practise under their belt.

Every 2 in 1 file is a lemon. They really don’t work. The concept is nice, but in reality, they’re junk. I owned 5 of them for every size chain and brought them OEM Stihl. I sold them all after constant frustration. Buy a round file, a flat file and a progressive raker gauge it’s really not hard to do and the results are far far superior, even from someone who has an hours practise under their belt.
This.

How do they not work? I have 3 and they work flawless .

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
In my experience they sit too high up on the tooth, instead of giving you a C shape, they work their way back and up giving you a ski ramp of sorts - the tooth starts to scrape and hit the wood rather than severing it. Upload a pic of the tooth from the inside and outside profiles on your chain that’s been filed by the 2 in 1.

I don’t find the chains sharpened on the 2 in 1 self feed either.

Hopefully this is on topic. The Stihl 2 in 1 works great on stihl chains and not well at all on oregon. I had this experience with 3/8 LP. It appears the teeth are different and it resulted in little gullet and poor sawing. When I went to sharpen it again with a regular file I first had to reform the gullet before the file would even make contact with the tooth. Anyone had this experience? Otherwise on a stihl chain the 2 in 1 is great.

Another question, Is a file guide a necessary, does it keep the file from going too deep?

I have 2 pferd and 1 Stihl 2 in 1 files I have had no issue with they way they file Stihl and Oregon full chisel chains . I do occasionally hand file in between

I have 2 pferd and 1 Stihl 2 in 1 files I have had no issue with they way they file Stihl and Oregon full chisel chains . I do occasionally hand file in between

Maybe it depends on the chain, the Oregon was a 3/8 LP semi-chisel. The 2 in 1 worked great on a 3/8 LP chisel Stihl, I believe the difference was the Oregon teeth were taller.
You’d think Oregon would make their own 2 in 1

I have 2 grinders, dozens of single files and probably 8 - 2 in 1's I use them all and they all work great given the condition of the chain. I use the 2 in 1's when the chain is on the saw then clean up the gullet with a smaller single file. Hey whatever works for you use it...

The 2 in 1 works excellent, The bar can not be a worn out wh0re and the chain needs to be adjusted tightly to prevent the chain from rocking to get the correct angles during filing. Setting the saw up in a vise or stump vise helps tremendously with the task. Its a simple tool used to sharpen chain and hit the rakers at the same time and it does a much better job than I can free hand filing with the chain on the saw. If you are expecting it to do the same job in the 8 minutes it takes to use it as someone using 3 files a lighted magnifying glass and whatever else they use that will spend 30+ minutes then your expecting too much out of a 30 dollar all in one file that does not mount to the bar or require setting up a jig with a protractor to use.

In my experience they sit too high up on the tooth, instead of giving you a C shape, they work their way back and up giving you a ski ramp of sorts - the tooth starts to scrape and hit the wood rather than severing it. Upload a pic of the tooth from the inside and outside profiles on your chain that’s been filed by the 2 in 1.

I don’t find the chains sharpened on the 2 in 1 self feed either.
I don't use one but my mate has two. His cutters have an excellent profile and cut like mad. And he doesn't pay much attention to sharpening at all.

What brand chains? Sounds like my experience on Oregon 3/8 lp chain.
He uses Stihl chain exclusively as there is a dealer close by. 3/8lp and .325.
Can't comment on anything bigger but was impressed with the results of the 2in1.
But I prefer using a file 'n' joint in the shed and then touching up just with a file in the field.

Back