Philbert's Low-er Tech Filing Vise

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Philbert's Low-er Tech Filing Vise

This was an idea floating around in my head for a while. A filing vice holds saw chain cutters rock solid, for shaping or sharpening, off of the saw. It is not something that everyone wants or needs, but this is an easy-to-make, low cost option for those who do.

I don't have much in the way of welding or machining capabilities, so I started with a pair of Vise-Grip sheet metal pliers, on sale for about $14 at a home center.

photo 1.jpg

Note that the jaws on these are slightly cambered as received, and will not hold a drive link securely in the middle. The top edges are also not perfectly even.
photo 2.jpg

I doodled around with a few radiuses for the corners, to let the chain flow, and settled on a 1/2 inch radius.
photo 3.jpg

Cut the corners with a Dremel tool; shaped them, and aligned the top edges, on a bench grinder; then polished them smooth with a ScotchBrite deburring wheel. Cutting the corners also eliminated most of the camber in the jaws.

photo 6.jpg

Drilled some holes in one jaw for mounting, and squared them with a triangular file to accept carriage bolts. (*Note: the matching holes on the other jaw are not there due to a momentary lack of attention . . . er, . . . actually, . . . um, . . . they are there to provide for cooling and expansion in case of heat build-up from filing aggressive race chains!)
photo 7.jpg
photo 8.jpg

Philbert

Some related threads:

Philbert's Low Tech Filing Vise
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/philberts-low-tech-filing-vise.245004/

Chain Sharpening Mandrel Build

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chain-sharpening-mandrel-build.265933/

I made some chain vises
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/i-made-some-chain-vises.240935/

My new saw chain vise
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-new-saw-chain-vise.120500/#post-1935099

Mounting Options

The simplest mounting option is a 2X4, which almost matches the width of the Vise-Grip. I planed down this one to match for chain clearance. Mortised a recess for the back of the pliers with a 1/2 inch diameter Forstner bit and wood chisel, and through bolted it with 1/4 inch carriage bolts and recessed nylock nuts.

photo 9.jpg photo 10.jpg

The top of the board is beveled at 20 degrees for file clearance on round filed chains (would only bevel it 10 degrees 'next time'). Square filers would either have to reverse the chain to file the other side; cut a file clearance groove in the 2X4; or maybe mount the pliers to thinner, steel plate or bar stock for file clearance.

photo 11.jpg

The 2X4 can be clamped in the side of a woodworking or machinist's vise, holding it secure, and allowing easy height adjustment. To clamp it facing forward, some additional blocking/spacing may need to be added to clear the front of the vise. Depending on the user, the 2X4 could be permanently mounted to a workbench, slip into a sleeve (like the sides of a stake truck), or temporarily clamped to a work surface in a variety of ways.

Philbert

Clearly, this vise will adjust to any gauge chain, with adjustable pressure. I suppose that one could add an additional screw through both jaws to limit how far they open up?

Depending on how the chain is positioned, this vise clamps and holds approximately:
6 drive links of 1/4 inch chain;
4 drive links of 3/8 inch, low profile chain;
5 drive links of .325 inch chain;
4 drive links of 3/8 inch chain;
3 drive links of .404 inch chain;
2 drive links of 3/4 inch chain.

This vise will not clamp a cutter on one of the radiused corners, such as for tunneling.

It will also not work with any type of file guide that fits onto a guide bar (Husqvarna roller guides, Granberg type guides, Timberline, etc.). It will work with the standard, flat, Oregon and STIHL type file guides, or free-hand filing.

Philbert

WOW!! Clever idea there. As others said the chain on a bar will always wind up moving a little as you file, this may be the answer, thanks for sharing.

If I Could Weld . . .

Welding small tabs below the back jaw would let me drill the mounting holes lower, raising the jaws up.
This would provide clearance for square filing in both directions, and simplify the 2X4 preparation.

Or, as noted, someone could just weld it to a piece of steel plate.

Screen shot 2015-04-04 at 3.47.07 PM.png

Philbert

If I Could Weld . . .

Welding small tabs below the back jaw would let me drill the mounting holes lower, raising the jaws up.
This would provide clearance for square filing in both directions, and simplify the 2X4 preparation.

Or, as noted, someone could just weld it to a piece of steel plate.

View attachment 417044

Philbert
Great minds think alike bud.I had the same thought ,but u beat me to it.
I was goin to add a small long legged U bolt to only allow the other half of clamp to open just enuf to release pressure on chain.
well done sir!

Latest posts

Back