Picked up a new tractor a few weeks ago

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose IBEW

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I did some looking for a tractor and decided on the Ford/New Holland industrial series. Picked up a 2000 545D with a Gannon box. Looking into a quick connect for the front and grapple and forks. Should prove useful, 10,000lbs, 4,500lb lift to 10' for the front bucket.
u8y3agyt.jpg
gyga7agu.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Very nice. My Dad has a massey 50ex industrial loader tractor very similar to that. Much nicer than a farm tractor for loader work.

nice machine, thanks for sharing the pics!

Used to run those fords at the farm, man they are built heavy for work. Not like the junk they sell today.

Does yours have the PTO? some did not.

Been searching for a nice ford 2120 loader/backhoe for years over here.................

THey are built very heavy and can be picked up reasonable when they are used. The reason my Dad bought one is that he gets a lot of snow drifting at his rural home and his has cab and heat. We were looking at skid loaders originally but this is a lot easier to get in and out of as he gets older.

I am leaning towards a home made cab for mine. Snow comes sporadically in South Jersey but their is money to be made when we do get it. There are some VERY nice home made cabs out there if you search a little.

Yes, my tractor has the 540rpm rear PTO but it currently does not run. The purchase price definitely gives me some wiggle room to fix her up a bit thankfully.

Very stout tractors. I always thought a 545 with some over sized ag tires would make a nice all around pseudo skidder, woods tractor.

Got the backhoe. Its meant to pin into a 1 ton truck bed and has a 25 hp Kohler Command engine with a rather large hydraulic pump, hydraulic tank, fuel tank and battery. I am going to make a subframe and quick mount system for the back of my tractor. The Kohler will be for sale when I dismantle the unit as well. I also picked up a small tilt dump military trailer that was too cheap to pass by. I also got to talking about my affection for old Homelites and picked up an old XL that has good compression. I definitely have enough parts to make it a runner.

vuzahapy.jpg

4yjejyhu.jpg

New holland 345D.JPG My tractor is small compared to you guys!
It has the pto. I'm the second owner, it has never been used. The shuttle transmission and 6 way tilt blade will spoil you. The bond of man and machine... sometimes I need only to "will it" done and it is done. I have 150 tons of limestone to lay out this week.

That's a nice looking machine! Looks like the same box too. The loader sure does change the looks of it. What year is that one?

Year model 2002. Could be the same box blade. Land Pride?
The original owner was one of those guys who took the machine home every night and parked it in his garage. Strict maintanence schedule...if something broke once, he bought an extra. The kind of guy you like buying equipment from and a very good friend. I told him one time when he retired, I wanted his tractor. One day he called. I picked it up the next day. To give you an idea of the kind of man he is, about three months after I bought it he calls me, opens with small talk then says I'd like to buy my tractor back. I'm speachless... fumbling for words I finally came up with "hey look, if you need to use it just come get it" He says "OK , I don't need it. I was just making sure you were happy with the deal."
I still stop by and smoke a cigar with him every week or two. He's lost his wife, his health has reduced him to about 120 lbs. Hard to see a man who is used to moving mountains forced to accept a slower pace of life.

The Gannon box is made by Woods just in case you need factory support for it at some point. I noticed your tractor is turboed as well. The turbo option must be era specific as the older ones are N/A. I did not knoe the 345's were turboed at some point as well.

I took the Gannon box off and got an education on 3 point hitches. Come to find out mine is a catagory 2 and the york rake I bought is a catagory 1. After some research I found out that Tractor Supply has the reducing sleeves and smaller pins necessary to adapt for a grand total of $24, SWEET! I did some work with it today and holy crap, this thing can do the equivolant of a half hour of hand raking in about 7 seconds! I didn't get any before or after pics of what I did but here's the setup.

uduva5eh.jpg

I did some looking for a tractor and decided on the Ford/New Holland industrial series. Picked up a 2000 545D with a Gannon box. Looking into a quick connect for the front and grapple and forks. Should prove useful, 10,000lbs, 4,500lb lift to 10' for the front bucket.
u8y3agyt.jpg
gyga7agu.jpg

I have a New Holland 545D as well. I am trying to figure out what year it was made, this is printed on the plate on the side of the tractor. Anyone know how to decode?
Tractor numberA445059
UNIT0K11
TRANSMISSION8F29
HYDRAULIC PUMP3H24
MODELDD5PW2
ENGINEC925991/0K03
REAR AXLE0K06
HYDRAULIC LIFT0K01

Back