Picked up a used MS200

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty99

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Been ages since I popped into the forum, hope you are all doing well.

Recently picked up a used MS200 backhandle saw and want to replace the 12" bar and chain. Came across this "Oregon 105667 14-Inch Replacement Chain Saw Bar and Chain Combo for Stihl" on Amazon.ca and would like your feedback on the quality and performance.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-105667-14-Inch-Replacement-Chain/dp/B000CFLFQ6?th=1

Price is nice and half the cost of Stihl bar and chain combo from the local dealer. Or should I bite the bullet and pay $71 CAD for a 14" Stihl bar and $32 for the Stihl chain? I will mainly be limbing fire wood while out camping. Orgeon or Stihl? Thanks

Hi Guys,

Been ages since I popped into the forum, hope you are all doing well.

Recently picked up a used MS200 backhandle saw and want to replace the 12" bar and chain. Came across this "Oregon 105667 14-Inch Replacement Chain Saw Bar and Chain Combo for Stihl" on Amazon.ca and would like your feedback on the quality and performance.

https://www.amazon.ca/Oregon-105667-14-Inch-Replacement-Chain/dp/B000CFLFQ6?th=1

Price is nice and half the cost of Stihl bar and chain combo from the local dealer. Or should I bite the bullet and pay $71 CAD for a 14" Stihl bar and $32 for the Stihl chain? I will mainly be limbing fire wood while out camping. Orgeon or Stihl? Thanks
Oregon,,screw stihl and their exhorbidant pricing

Use whatever you can afford. Being rear handled and not an ex climbing saw (nor destined to be a climbing saw) it is likely to have done very little work and will probably be happy with a 16" combo if your cutting justifies it. (I run a 16 on my own 200T top handle).
There are LOTS of good quality bars out there besides Stihl and Oregon and I do not use Oregon under 18 inch bars- I feel the quality has dropped over the last few decades- but that is only a personal assumption.
Not sure if you can still get them or what they cost over there, but in 14" the GB bars from Aussie are hard to beat. Sugi Hara are good, Tsu Mura possibly better, Cannon- real nice, real good, but expensive. Carlton offer some nice bars for the price.
If you were using it pro, I'd say pick Stihl as the minimum benchmark- I would still recommend the Stihl chain regardless of your bar choice, regardless of intended use- their chain is hard to beat.
Have a look at one of the forums sponsors, see what they offer for small mount Stihl bars- if you do not get too hung up on brand naming printed on the bar- you can probably find some nice cheap options that will suit a trail saw.

The whole saw is crap, but I’ll be a gentleman and take it off your hands for ya.

But seriously, I’ve always been pleased with Oregon bars and chains, I got that bar but 16” on my 200T, it’s durable and does what it’s supposed to do.

I will bet that Oregon bar is a 7 tooth nose, it actually shows such in a picture. The Stihl one will be 9 tooth nose. These bars seem to wear out at the bottom of the nose sprocket where the chain comes off the sprocket and hit the bar. There are or were an Oregon pro 91 series that have a 9 tooth nose though they probably don't come in a bar and chain combination. Not sure if that is the real price for Stihl Canada, I only have bought the 0.043 gauge ones which would probably be about $35 USD for a 50 dl bar but the 0.043 ones are 7 tooth nose. That Oregon bar is likely the double guard type that also uses lower grade laminate sheet than the pro 91 bars. They re named the bars lately and some are aluminum core, I am not current.

Here is a link to a Bailey's bar and chain combo. Not sure how precicse it will be, go to 3/8 low profile, 14 inch and then UM for universal mount which will get you a 52 dl bar not the 50 that Stihl calls 14" It has a 9 tooth nose. They may ship to Canada not sure. At any rate that is the way I would look. Some Stihl Dealers do buy 2 chains and get one free which may be sort of figured into the pricing scheme. https://www.baileysonline.com/woodl...arbormax-chainsaw-bar-chain-combinations.html

If you decided to go for Stihl B/C get the Stihl 'light' bar. The light bars are well lighter and keep the perfectly balanced super light theme of the saw. I have a 14" light on my MS201 but a 16" is good too. Nice saws.

If you decided to go for Stihl B/C get the Stihl 'light' bar. The light bars are well lighter and keep the perfectly balanced super light theme of the saw. I have a 14" light on my MS201 but a 16" is good too. Nice saws.
If you are careful with it they bend easier than the reg ones.

If you are careful with it they bend easier than the reg ones.
True but I'll take the weight savings. I have both regular bars and light bars in 10" 12" 14" & 16". I bought a bunch of Tsumura bars out of the States when they were sold under the the TOTAL-'super bar' label too which have been great. But holding onto 5meters of polesaw for a few hours I appreciate any weight savings I can get. Remember these 16307680989507734864363234399118.jpg,

Latest posts

Back