Pine dying top down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T in Texas

Reaction score
Hi All. I have a 15 year old pine that is dying from top down here in north texas. After this last winter when it got down to 4 below zero, the whole tree turned brown and we thought it was dead. A few months later the whole tree was green and looking good. last few weeks we see that it is browning from top about half way down. any ideas what is causing it and if we can do anything about it

Attachments

• PINE TREE.jpg
    PINE TREE.jpg
    359.6 KB · Views: 9
Sirex wasp infestation is one possibility. Hard to tell really from a picture. Best bet is find somebody who can actually come and look at the tree....

Sirex wasp infestation is one possibility. Hard to tell really from a picture. Best bet is find somebody who can actually come and look at the tree....
from what I can get from google the sirex wasp has not made it to Texas yet, still only up in the NE. I will check for the holes they make in the tree to be sure, Thanks

from what I can get from google the sirex wasp has not made it to Texas yet, still only up in the NE. I will check for the holes they make in the tree to be sure, Thanks
No, not officially. But it all it takes is one piece of infested wood to spread them and its predicted that they will be in most of the US in time.
Anyway, if the tree is of concern I'd have an arborist come look at it.

Latest posts

Back