Pine tree leaning

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeky

Reaction score
I have a 80 feet or more and our local sewer company man hole is two feet from the base of the tree, and each year it leaning more, and the manhole, 8 feet down, and pipes 6feet round run along the bottom of my property, main sewer line for all the neighbors and legally had to give them the land, pre me, 50 years ago. - Said: surely you remove roots and only tree leaning, rest are horizontal - tree is 6 1/2 feet round base - how old estimate? question is how secure is a tree that is growing around sewer pipe, o obviously had to have some roots removed. Pine tree. If it fell with snow, and winds it would land on four houses on one lot, lucky if it's in between two on a drive way. - never hired arborists back then, and basically telling me it's my tree, my responsibility, but can't remove or cut down without it falling on their buried pipes, again my responsibility if they are damaged... Q. removed roots, is it safe, they say well it's be okay this long, and also how high would a tree this size take to grow? I said, it must have been there when you dug the trenches, huge pipes. Thanks. IMG_1984.JPGIMG_1986.JPG

Pine is probably 50-60 years old, based on a quick look at the whorls on the trunk and overall height. Ponderosa or Jeffery pine? Incense cedar nearby?
It certainly has a lean, but also a sweep correcting done of it.

I would say it was too young when the digging happened for it still to be suffering the ill effects. More likely the lean has happened because of limited rooting space because of the pipes; could also be seasonally wet because the water table may be following the trench or the pipes may be leaking.
Good blow occasionally when soil is saturated could be increasing the lean.

A competent arborist could take it down without damaging the pipes. couldn’t say what it would cost from the pic, but let’s say $1600-$2400, leave the wood in random lengths and chip brush.

Thank you, appreciate your time and wisdom... ask, I was thinking maybe it could just have even 1/2 taken off, sad, but it's because of liability and neighbors damage, - no insurance to cover it. - weird. looking into as well. thanks again.

Latest posts

Back