Pinesol as carb cleaner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdntbone303

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is everyone’s experiences using pinesol in a bowl and letting carb parts soak. Do you put it in pure or dilute with water? How long do you let them soak? image.jpg

Pine Sol will work, I like mineral spirits myself. I use a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner and put the carb and parts in a glass jar with the cleaner. Only put water in the ultrasonic tank, turn on the heat and let it buzz for at least a half hour (4-5 8 minute cycles)

Tooth paste, still in the tube.
Pine-Sol will work but its far too slow for any serious work. It smells good and for indoor , basement or kitchen table mechanics it won`t get you banned to the dog house.
What do you recommend that is cheap and effective? Spraying down with carb cleaner and compressed air?

I am not sure how many carbs you are thinking of doing but for me, I bought an ultrasonic cleaner,USC, and its been the best bang for the buck of any tool I ever got for chainsaw work. It cleans a carb much better than any other. For just a quick cleaning then canned spray carb cleaner would do better than most anything, for soaking then a cleaner like, Gunk or other bulk solvent would do. I have gallons of it that I recycle over and over.

I am not sure how many carbs you are thinking of doing but for me, I bought an ultrasonic cleaner,USC, and its been the best bang for the buck of any tool I ever got for chainsaw work. It cleans a carb much better than any other. For just a quick cleaning then canned spray carb cleaner would do better than most anything, for soaking then a cleaner like, Gunk or other bulk solvent would do. I have gallons of it that I recycle over and over.
I am going to look into one of those machines. I do have several carbs lined up from rebuilds. What liquids do you put in it?

ive been using a simple green product called aircraft cleaner, works really well on aluminum/stainless/steel/plastic in the ultrasonic at removing oil based deposits and seems pretty gentle on my skin and the smell isn't bad..mix 3/4-1 with water, heat definitely increases is effectiveness.

I am going to look into one of those machines. I do have several carbs lined up from rebuilds. What liquids do you put in it?
All I use is boiling hot water with a drop of Dawn dish soap, all the soap does is make cleaning the USC easier. Its not the product that does the cleaning, its the sound waves from the USC transferred by the water to the carb, the thinner the liquid the better job it does getting under the deposits. The carb body and small parts literally dance around in the USC tub, if you watch closely discolored streams of dislodged material can be seen flowing out from every orifice of the carb body. Reading up on how the USC works will help with making a decision on what works best in them.

The ultrA
I ordered an ultrasonic cleaner off Amazon that has heat option. Figured it would be good to clean other stuff too
I got an ultrasonic cleaner last Fall to clean my bike chain. Worked great! but started cleaning carbs from my 034 saws that weren't working right... decided if you weren't using US cleaner on your chainsaw carbs that you thought you were rebuilding, you weren't rebuilding.
there are tiny orifices in those things that fill with years of ethanol gas deposits and baked on varnish that just changing a couple of gaskets and reed valve gaskets, and pump pieces are a waste of money. Clean that carb for a couple of minutes with some detergent of your choice and you'll thank your $50 purchase. next stop your wife's rings and so on. Also bike chains.

The ultrA

I got an ultrasonic cleaner last Fall to clean my bike chain. Worked great! but started cleaning carbs from my 034 saws that weren't working right... decided if you weren't using US cleaner on your chainsaw carbs that you thought you were rebuilding, you weren't rebuilding.
there are tiny orifices in those things that fill with years of ethanol gas deposits and baked on varnish that just changing a couple of gaskets and reed valve gaskets, and pump pieces are a waste of money. Clean that carb for a couple of minutes with some detergent of your choice and you'll thank your $50 purchase. next stop your wife's rings and so on. Also bike chains.
Dawn dish good for carbs with warm water in the sonic cleaner?

Mine is 2.5 liters. So far something too big I flip it over and start another cycle
I have a half gallon unit currently. If were going liters then it's close to 2L. I really would liked something in the 6L+ range. I got too spoiled had a big one at work for so many years I could use.

Back