Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I picked up these beauties yesterday. They all have fire which is good. They ra is missing the air box. I was just wondering if someone could post a picture of there so I can see what’s misssing thanks jp
Is that a JA or JB? Should be stamped at the front of the saw next to the spike. I'd give my left arm for that saw. Hard to find, yours doesn't look busted up.

Chris B.

Alright guys I just pulled out my Pioneer-Partner P39 project saw. Missing lots of pieces, but what's there looks good. Problematic blue Prestolite coil is long gone....probably why the saw was benched. I've done some searches and haven't come up with many alternatives. Someone told me a Husky 272 coil can be fitted. I've got a coil here from a Jonsered 670 which should be the same, but no way that's fitting.
This is obviously step 1 with one these a saws, so what are my options.20210918_091633.jpg

Alright guys I just pulled out my Pioneer-Partner P39 project saw. Missing lots of pieces, but what's there looks good. Problematic blue Prestolite coil is long gone....probably why the saw was benched. I've done some searches and haven't come up with many alternatives. Someone told me a Husky 272 coil can be fitted. I've got a coil here from a Jonsered 670 which should be the same, but no way that's fitting.
This is obviously step 1 with one these a saws, so what are my options.View attachment 930113
The Husky coils will work well. Depending on the rear boss, you may need to drill another hole in the lamination or fab a small hold down/tab and equivalent shim on the front boss. Farmsaws need hold down and shim. Farmlite, a new hole in lamination. @fossil and @rocketnorton have done it. My experience is mostly with swapping the Husky coil onto the XL-76/130 by either using the original core or using hold down tabs.

Do you want to stay with original parts? Or you could try baking the coil in oven. lt may work for you.
I don't even have the original coil. Didn't come with the saw.
The Husky coils will work well. Depending on the rear boss, you may need to drill another hole in the lamination or fab a small hold down/tab and equivalent shim on the front boss. Farmsaws need hold down and shim. Farmlite, a new hole in lamination. @fossil and @rocketnorton have done it. My experience is mostly with swapping the Husky coil onto the XL-76/130 by either using the original core or using hold down tabs.
I can't even see how this coil would physically fit in the spot in the case. Guess I'll take a closer look. Anybody got pics of a Husky coil installed in one?

Thanks for those links. Got it now, I'll figure it out.

I've gone with the smaller version Chinese coil. I carefully tap out the lamination from the Chinese coil and put the Prestolite blue coil lamination in.
The lamination will have to be shimmed with a conductive material (steel shim stock or whatever) as the Prestolite lamination is narrower..

That way it bolts up.

The wire that comes with the chinese coil is covered with PVC or something that melts. I shorten the wire as required and cover it in shrink tubing if it's close to hot metal.

So I see how it's gonna fit now. My question now is I can probably fit top screw in and fab a tab for lower hole, or I can slot lower hole centering it more off that one. Whichever hole I "center" off looks to vary timing by a few degrees. I'm guessing mounting coil lower centered off bottom hole advances the timing. Maybe I'm over thinking this?

Latest posts

Back