Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, just to let you know, I still have a few parts for the Pioneers for sale. If you need something, just send me a PM and I'll see if I have it. I'm no longer on Ebay but still have a fairly good collection of stuff including a new shipment of NOS hardware. -Propliner

Hi Guys, just to let you know, I still have a few parts for the Pioneers for sale. If you need something, just send me a PM and I'll see if I have it. I'm no longer on Ebay but still have a fairly good collection of stuff including a new shipment of NOS hardware. -Propliner

Good to hear from you,hope you keep posting on this site. How did you make out with finding a bar for the one lost in shipping? We all like to hear back if the problem is solved or not. Pioneerguy600

Pioneer parts?

I know a retired guy just 3 or 4 miles down the road that purchased the entire parts inventory from the local Pioneer dealer when they stopped carrying them back in the mid 1980's. He's been assembling complete NEW saws from his parts inventory! If I can ask him about anything specific please let me know.

I had a Farmsaw and loved it - sold it like a dumba$$. Now have a P40 and P28 and will be seeing him soon. I also have the Pioneer service manual used by a local shop that has most illustrated parts lists and other stuff. Let me know if I can help with a part number or something. Email [email protected]

Info for Bruce Hopf

Hi Bruce
Tried to PM you but it was a no go.I live in British Columbia in the Lowermainland which extends from Vancouver to the Fraser Valley north and south of the Mighty Muddy, nickname for the Fraser river.I see in your public profile that you hunt.For what animals Moose Deer, Game Birds,Waterfowl? PM me with what you hunt for.

Last edited:
Hi Bruce
Tried to PM you but it was a no go.I live in British Columbia in the Lower mainland which extends from Vancouver to the Fraser Valley north and south of the Mighty Muddy, nickname for the Fraser river.I see in your public profile that you hunt.For what animals Moose Deer, Game Birds,Waterfowl? PM me with what you hunt for.
I hunt for Deer, Fox, Coyote, Rabbit, if the hounds kick them up, Ducks, and Geese, Game Birds. My sister is north of Fort ST John BC. I hope to get out there sometime to do a bit of Moose Hunting. Bruce. My email address is [email protected]

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

This is my oldest IEL/Pioneer model AB made in Vancouver British Columbia in 1948 . It has been completely rebuilt with NOS pieces and meticulous stripped,cleaned and a three coat primer and automotive two part epoxy paint that is very durable and gasoline resistant. I will try to post a new set of picts each evening.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_1485.JPG

IMG_1488.JPG

IMG_1489.JPG

This is my oldest IEL/Pioneer model AB made in Vancouver British Columbia in 1948 . It has been completely rebuilt with NOS pieces and meticulous stripped,cleaned and a three coat primer and automotive two part epoxy paint that is very durable and gasoline resistant. I will try to post a new set of picts each evening.
Pioneerguy600
Jerry. You did a real nice job of your saw. Are you just going to display it, or play with it, and cut a bit of wood with it every now and then? Bruce.

Jerry. You did a real nice job of your saw. Are you just going to display it, or play with it, and cut a bit of wood with it every now and then? Bruce.

This is the only IEL saw that I will not run or cut wood with,it is in too good of shape now to mess it up so it is a museum piece or display only for now. I have many others to run and tinker with that I don`t mind getting messed up.The 1948 Titan model 200 is a similar flip bar type of saw that I run and use to teach young enthusiasts about the early gear drive gravity fed carburetor type of saws that required the chain bar to rotate so it could be used to fell trees as well as buck up wood.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry, that is a work of ART! Wow, 60 years old - what a great job! As for the epoxy, well I hope you were wearing a good respirator. On the other hand, of course, sniffing the fumes might explain your (our) love (read "Brain damage")of old saws. Hmm, that might explain lots of stuff for me....http://www.arboristsite.com/images/smilies/dizzy.gif

Well Rob there is times I think something must be wrong with me as I have too much fun to playing around with chainsaws. We paint all kinds of vehicles,industrial machinery and marine related equipment and use fresh air suits and air supplies to help protect ourselves from harmful chemical exposure and apply the paint and coatings in a down draft booth.Actually the painting of the saws is the part I like the least. Pioneerguy600

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

This is my 1956 IEL model HC and is one of the first IEL`s to have the Tillotson HL all position carburetor on a direct drive chainsaw.It is a 85.7 cc engine and weighs a lot more than you would think,about 33 lbs with bar and chain. It works like a top and has 162 lbs compression,very clean saw that starts easy and will run as long as it has gas in the tank.

..... times I think something must be wrong with me as I have too much fun to playing around with chainsaws......

Some guys build model sailboats. some play with model trains, some collect stamps etc.
I don't understand all the guilt associated with "CAD". Is this somehow different from Tractors and their accessories? Table Saws? Boats?
Nobody thinks a Fisherman is "funny" because he loves his boat.

IMG_1881.jpg

http://lh3.ggpht.com/Myersv/SH31idQUf_I/AAAAAAAAA

This is my IEL model RA from 1957 and it is the last of the IEL models that were made using the sand cast method,all metal construction. The next models were the 600 series and they are die cast. Some say they are die cast RA`s but there were a lot of improvements made to the 600 although they look similar. This saw is an excellent runner and will start and run A1 ,I cut with it at least once a month.
Pioneerguy600

Chainsaw envy

I'm getting a serious case of chainsaw envy! Maybe one day I will have the saws and trees on some land with a comfy wood stove...If I can talk the wife into it. She likes it here in suburbia with a natural gas fireplace and close to work.

Just kidding about the painting, sorry if I offended you. Your saws are great and I'm glad someone is taking the time to preserve the older saws and how to use them. :greenchainsaw:

I'm getting a serious case of chainsaw envy! Maybe one day I will have the saws and trees on some land with a comfy wood stove...If I can talk the wife into it. She likes it here in suburbia with a natural gas fireplace and close to work.

Just kidding about the painting, sorry if I offended you. Your saws are great and I'm glad someone is taking the time to preserve the older saws and how to use them. :greenchainsaw:

Hey Rob; No offense taken on the paint thing ,thought it was all in fun but also like to pass on info about safety and I am a safety conscious guy. our tools and stuff we work with are out to get us. Use your PPE. Pioneerguy600

Nice Work

Hi Jerry
You were right on the money when you told me awhile back that you like to take your time and do a good job on things.Fantastic work,you seem to have put some more spark in this thread.Keep on keeping on.

Thanks to 241 for his farmsaw and other pioneer picture P60?sorry forgot to look back and check it out.

Back