Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jerry
You were right on the money when you told me awhile back that you like to take your time and do a good job on things.Fantastic work,you seem to have put some more spark in this thread.Keep on keeping on.

Thanks to 241 for his farmsaw and other pioneer picture P60?sorry forgot to look back and check it out.

I will post more saws each evening for a while or until I run out of picts. I have done some experimentation and the picts seem to be loading up better now and show a little more detail,much better than the first attempts I think. Pioneerguy600

hi all new to the site, was looking for info on pioneer saws and found this site. i bought an old pioneer 600? i think at a garage sale for $5 a mate and i are trying to get her to run. will post some pics soon and will be after some info from those in the know if we have any dramas

hi all new to the site, was looking for info on pioneer saws and found this site. i bought an old pioneer 600? i think at a garage sale for $5 a mate and i are trying to get her to run. will post some pics soon and will be after some info from those in the know if we have any dramas

Welcome to AS. You will meet lots of nice people on this site. lots of information to learn from, and and interesting things here as well.
Pioneerguy 600 has quite a few Pioneers, that he works on. He is also very informative as well. Don't hesatate to sak questions on this website. Bruce.

hey thanx bruce. i will become a regular on here from now on im just getting into cutting timber and will be looking for advice on milling and so on. thanx again love the site allready

hey thanx bruce. i will become a regular on here from now on im just getting into cutting timber and will be looking for advice on milling and so on. thanx again love the site allready
No Problem. There is lots of enjoyment here on this website as well, and there are a few people can tick you off as well. Becarfull doing this job, and enjoy it as well. Bruce.

Welcome to the AS site porky616,if you need info or help on that 600 let us know,I know a bit about them.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

This is my original Pioneer 600 from 1958 that my dad bought new. It was our first new saw so it holds a lot of sentimental value for me. Its the first saw I ran on my own at the age of 13 cutting firewood,pulp and saw logs.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1895.jpg

The other side of the 600,I have left this saw in original condition,it starts and runs excellent and you could take it to the woods and cut all day without a hitch. Its a 103 cc engine with a Pioneer 20 " bar with 404 pitch chain and weighs only 26 lbs. Pioneerguy600

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

This is a model 610 and is from 1959 , its a improved model of the Pioneer 600, the recoil is a Fairbanks Morse. Only the 600`s had the Pioneer recoil on them and even those were mostly retro fitted with Fairbanks Morse recoils as the OEM Pioneer recoils were not strong enough to last long on the high compression 103 cc engines. Pioneerguy600

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

The other sides of the 610, this is a great running saw that will cut day in and out with no problems,has great comp and has low hours of useage. My favorite actually and use it as often as I can get it out to cut big hardwood. Notice the big open muffler,a dual port straight from the factory.
Pioneerguy600

thanx pioneerguy, the pics you just posted helped me id my old girl and its the same but not as good condition as yours. so far we have found that the carby is seized up and the pull start wont recoil. we got her to fire with a little aerostart so it looks promising. hopefully we can get her going and cut some timber

thanx pioneerguy, the pics you just posted helped me id my old girl and its the same but not as good condition as yours. so far we have found that the carby is seized up and the pull start wont recoil. we got her to fire with a little aerostart so it looks promising. hopefully we can get her going and cut some timber

A word of caution on the spray in aerostart,it will ruin your piston and cylinder,its for four stroke engines with oil reservoirs in the engine base. A chainsaw is two stroke and requires oil mixed with the gas to lubricate the moving parts of the engine. Every time either based engine starter is used in a two stroke engine damage is done to all moving parts as it strips all oil from the parts as it is a solvent and the engine fires and runs with bare metal to metal contact. Galling of the moving parts is the results.
Hope you have not done this often as I see too many ruined engines come across the shop doors done in by Quick Start. Pioneerguy600

your dead right there pioneer, we only gave it a passing spray to see if it would fire to know if it was worth fixing. i do all my fuel and oil mixes by the book i have a 066 magnum thats my pride and joy and it gets only the best. its 6 years old and still looks new. another mate has found another saw for us that sounds like another pioneer. me 66 mite get left on the shelf a lot more if they both run

your dead right there pioneer, we only gave it a passing spray to see if it would fire to know if it was worth fixing. i do all my fuel and oil mixes by the book i have a 066 magnum that's my pride and joy and it gets only the best. its 6 years old and still looks new. another mate has found another saw for us that sounds like another pioneer. me 66 mite get left on the shelf a lot more if they both run
What I use instead of fast start, even with my old snowmobile, I get a nice sized syringe, that holds 100 or more cc's, and use that to squirt Gas/Mix into the carburetor. Bruce.

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

This is my NOS Pioneer 620 Super made in 1962 and it was made with improvements over the 600 and 610. Some streamlining of the top cover and better flow of the intake through the carburetor but still has the 103 cc engine.

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

The other side and the original Pioneer bar and Pioneer chain that came with this saw . This one does not get used as I have other 620`s to run and don`t want to put any wear and tear on it. Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy,with our saw we are a little concerned about breaking the fuel bowl glass, its very dirty and needs to be cleaned but its pretty well stuck in there. any tips for safe removal. and are new ones available anywhere if it does break

pioneerguy,with our saw we are a little concerned about breaking the fuel bowl glass, its very dirty and needs to be cleaned but its pretty well stuck in there. any tips for safe removal. and are new ones available anywhere if it does break

Can you get the metal bail type holder screw to back up and move it aside, if the glass bowl is stuck to the gasket only soaking it with WD 40 or similar solvent to soften the gasket and whatever is holding it in place,usually dried out gas and oil mix. If the bowl breaks it should not be hard to find replacements,just let me know. PIONEERGUY600

Latest posts

Back