Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

Another Pioneer620 Super, the one I cut wood with,not bad eh. Pioneerguy600

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg

This is one of my 650`s, I have cut many cords of wood with it and its close to mechanically perfect as you could find.I just put a carb kit in it and a NOS pickup and line,then went out and ran two tanks of gas through it.She takes a full 40 ouncer to top her up and runs about an hour on it. Pioneerguy600

Jerry, How many Pioneers do you own? You have a damn fine collection, very nice..

WELLLLLLLL; I would have to go over to the shop and work all day to carry them all out to the main shop floor and then spend quite a while counting them all. Probably run out of toes and fingers to keep track of them on and really never get an accurate count. Lots or a bunch,LOL thanks for the kudos. Pioneerguy600

Pioneers and Questions

Hi Fellas
First Jerry that last pic looks like a nu17 is it similar to the 450 of yours?Secondly,as I start to tinker with these old Pioneers I thought, were they made when we had leaded gas?Can not remember when leaded went out.Am I going to ruin these saws running unleaded gas in them at the 16:1 mix.Also what is a good make of compression tester and good features of the tester to have for chainsaws, I try to avoid China junk if possible.
Many Thanks
Lawrence P.S I think I need a inch pound torque wrench for some bolts .Correct? Also a what type of flywheel puller to buy?

Last edited:
Hi Fellas
First Jerry that last pic looks like a nu17 is it similar to the 450 of yours?Secondly,as I start to tinker with these old Pioneers I thought, were they made when we had leaded gas?Can not remember when leaded went out.Am I going to ruin these saws running unleaded gas in them at the 16:1 mix.Also what is a good make of compression tester and good features of the tester to have for chainsaws, I try to avoid China junk if possible.
Many Thanks
Lawrence P.S I think I need a inch pound torque wrench for some bolts .Correct? Also a what type of flywheel puller to buy?

Hi ;Lawrence,good to hear from you on this site, the unleaded gas has not hurt any of my saws and I run them on modern two stroke mix oils for air cooled engines,usually Stihl or Huskvarna mix oils at 40 to 1 and have no issues at all.Even my 1948 models that came with a mix ratio of 8 to 1 run with no issues on 40 to 1 mix.
Now my tools are considered too costly for most,Snap On ,Blue Point,Grey Bonney ,Proto,Challenger etc are not really necessary but its what I have. Compression testers are a hot topic on here but a good auto parts one with a short hose around 6 " with the schrader valve in the fitting that screws in the sparkplug hole should work fine, I have an old one from Tuffy and a newer Snap On one and they read within a lb of each other. I make a lot of my pullers for the vintage saws and have an assortment of two and three arm pullers,factory Stihl flywheel pullers, and bearing pullers.You just have to decide on a case by case basis what is required to do the job you want to tackle and gear up from there. I don`t know of any one puller that does it all but there is some that are shaped like a circle plate with multiple holes drilled in them that are a useful tool and the standard Y shaped slotted types that are a bit universal but I have always made up my own because I can, only. A small 3/8" or 1/4" drive inch lb torque wrench is all you would need and out of the three I own a Sears Craftsman is all most would need not the expensive Pro models ,I next to never use them anyway as once you develop a feel for fasteners you will know how much torque you are applying and on chainsaws good and tight is the rule but you have to know not to over tighten small machine screws so I guess a torque wrench is an alternative. The extension devices used to get the drive socket or drive bit to the fastener will throw the torque specification off in most instances any way so I don`t depend on them. I have done many a hundred rebuilds and tear down and build ups and have not lost a screw or bolt yet,broken a few off trying to remove them though and encountered a few stripped threads but not of my doing. Don`t know if this was of any help but its what I have experienced.Any thing specific comes up give me a shout. PS. the 450 does look like a NU 17 and most parts are interchangeable, I have one in the shop now that we have stripped completely and rebuilt with a lot of NOS parts and its back together now awaiting paint. I have acquired parts from all over North America for this one and even some from AS members,will post some picts of it in the Pioneer thread. Pioneerguy600

Jerry's Pioneers

Hi Jerry
That last Pioneer the 1110 looks like a little sherman tank kind of square and choppy.I think you have done a good job posting your Pioneer pics and am sure others are enjoying them also.Thanks for all the information you have provided me on the chainsaw tools,I have a lot of basic hand tools but not any chainsaw specific tools.Hope to change that in the near future.I can see also where my still unused new General International drill press may come in handy.As far as that weed whacker goes I will not get to see it till I make the trip up north to Prince George in a month or so.
Lawrence

Hi Jerry
That last Pioneer the 1110 looks like a little sherman tank kind of square and choppy.I think you have done a good job posting your Pioneer pics and am sure others are enjoying them also.Thanks for all the information you have provided me on the chainsaw tools,I have a lot of basic hand tools but not any chainsaw specific tools.Hope to change that in the near future.I can see also where my still unused new General International drill press may come in handy.As far as that weed whacker goes I will not get to see it till I make the trip up north to Prince George in a month or so.
Lawrence

Ok Lawrence keep in touch and thanks for the boost.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

This little fellow was my topping saw and has seen little use lately as I now use a Oleo Mac 950 AF for that kind of work.It is a 1971 Pioneer Holiday 11 with a 51.4 cc engine and works like a top even though it sees limited work nowadays.
Pioneerguy600

IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

This little fellow was my topping saw and has seen little use lately as I now use a Oleo Mac 950 AF for that kind of work.It is a 1971 Pioneer Holiday 11 with a 51.4 cc engine and works like a top even though it sees limited work nowadays.
Pioneerguy600

I had a Holiday at one time, mine was white if I remember right, and not the usual pioneer green. It reminded me of a Homie XL-12. It would make your ears bleed even with plugs in. Keep the picture coming,, I do enjoy them, Thanks

Last edited:
Hey Bruce,getting tired of seeing these old Pioneer saw pictures yet? Have a few more that have not been put up yet.LOL Pioneerguy600
Hey Jerry.
I knew long long time ago that there are more than one bread of Chain saws, in the world.
I enjopy looking at all the different makesa of Chain Saws. Just like in Tractors. I have 2 Fordson tractors, a Fordson Super Major, and a Fordson Dexta with a loader, a David Brown 880, and a Cockshutt 1650. I had all blue here up untilo a year ago. Bruce. So Keep them comming. As soon as I figure out how to post Pictures, I'll show you my Yellow Stuff. LOL.

Hey Jerry.
I knew long long time ago that there are more than one bread of Chain saws, in the world.
I enjopy looking at all the different makesa of Chain Saws. Just like in Tractors. I have 2 Fordson tractors, a Fordson Super Major, and a Fordson Dexta with a loader, a David Brown 880, and a Cockshutt 1650. I had all blue here up untilo a year ago. Bruce. So Keep them comming. As soon as I figure out how to post Pictures, I'll show you my Yellow Stuff. LOL.

Yes I like all brands of chainsaws and own quite a few different brands also. The Pioneers are a sentimental thing and I love working with and on them. I owned one Fordson tractor,it was a 1923 four cylinder high compression with a crank start,it had steel wheels that I converted to rubber tires. Bought it when I was 15 and rebuilt it,magneto,carburetor up draft type, water pump shaft and impeller and the linkages for spark and fuel.Then gave it a complete paint job and it looked good and ran great also,the disc drive in the differential made it impossible to tow or move unless the engine was running.
I hope more Pioneer chainsaw owners will post picts and would like to see your saws on here as well. I had some difficulty posting picts myself and just had to set down and work it out on my own,it took dozens of tries but I worked my way through it with some help from my daughter and have found a way to do them,not just like the way that was described on this site but it works for me. LOL Pioneerguy600

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

IMG_1946.jpg

This is my Pioneer model 1450 , it was bought new in 1966 and still runs strong,only thing done to it was the primer pump replaced with a NOS ones and a couple of the gas lines.
Pioneerguy600

Last edited:
Hey Jerry.

Yes I like all brands of chainsaws and own quite a few different brands also. The Pioneers are a sentimental thing and I love working with and on them. I owned one Fordson tractor,it was a 1923 four cylinder high compression with a crank start,it had steel wheels that I converted to rubber tires. Bought it when I was 15 and rebuilt it,magneto,carburetor up draft type, water pump shaft and impeller and the linkages for spark and fuel.Then gave it a complete paint job and it looked good and ran great also,the disc drive in the differential made it impossible to tow or move unless the engine was running.
I hope more Pioneer chainsaw owners will post picts and would like to see your saws on here as well. I had some difficulty posting picts myself and just had to set down and work it out on my own,it took dozens of tries but I worked my way through it with some help from my daughter and have found a way to do them,not just like the way that was described on this site but it works for me. LOL Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back