Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up these two pioneers from my estate buying friend from Quebec. Both have compression. Bought by email and picked up today. The big one not sure what model etc it is and will find out tomorrow. These long drives are wearing me down but I think I picked up a good couple of saws.DSCF2695.JPG

Picked up these two pioneers from my estate buying friend from Quebec. Both have compression. Bought by email and picked up today. The big one not sure what model etc it is and will find out tomorrow. These long drives are wearing me down but I think I picked a good couple of saws.View attachment 909207
Your big one is a model RA, actually its mostly an IEL based saw.

Noticed on kijiji this morning[3am] a 3270 for sale for 65 bucks in Toronto. Too far away for me to drive to and too heavy to ship. He also had a 1074 with no cover for 45 bucks.

Yeah quite often the Pioneer emblem is missing from those top cover on those RA models. The paint looks amazingly good for that era!
That one has the cast in Pioneer emblem, it don`t come off so doesn`t get lost like the saws with the separate bolt on emblem.
The bolt on ones often broke or came loose and got discarded, one of my RA`s has this type of medallion,

IMG_3752.JPG

Your big one is a model RA, actually its mostly an IEL based saw.
Checked it out today and it had ra in many places on it.After I took bar and starter off I found two spots and one was a six digit number following the ra. It looks like it had limited use as screws look like they havn,t been turned in some spots.The only thing I could see was a new hose and filter in gas tank. They had left a little bit of fuel in it so will have to go threw it all.

Off getting saws tomorrow but close by. A guy posted he was cleaning garage and selling tools and old chainsaws that hadn,t been used in awhile.He showed some pics but not good quality. He said he had three. One looked like a pioneer partner to me. I offered him 125 for all hoping the p p turned out what I thought. He accepted. After I told him to leave me the names and numbers of the saws.He checked and told me the partner one was a s65 saw,a mac1010,a sachs polara? and they were his fathers saws. Then he said he had another saw farmers something and did I want it no charge as he was cleaning out every thing his father had. Of coarse I said yes and I am wondering what the last one is and if the partner s65 is any good. My wife has started calling me a hoarder even though I have got rid of most of my small consumer poulins. haha

Off getting saws tomorrow but close by. A guy posted he was cleaning garage and selling tools and old chainsaws that hadn,t been used in awhile.He showed some pics but not good quality. He said he had three. One looked like a pioneer partner to me. I offered him 125 for all hoping the p p turned out what I thought. He accepted. After I told him to leave me the names and numbers of the saws.He checked and told me the partner one was a s65 saw,a mac1010,a sachs polara? and they were his fathers saws. Then he said he had another saw farmers something and did I want it no charge as he was cleaning out every thing his father had. Of coarse I said yes and I am wondering what the last one is and if the partner s65 is any good. My wife has started calling me a hoarder even though I have got rid of most of my small consumer poulins. haha
Sachs Dolmar, not polara.

C
lf you have a way of checking your condenser capacity ,the microfarads reading spec range is .16 -.22
lf you need new points Pm me.
Condenser was toast, I went ahead and attempted to install the universal module. It makes great sparks, though I think there's maybe a timing issue - the flywheel key is sheared off so I'm not certain I have it positioned correctly.. I have compression and fuel is getting to the cylinder, spark is good..
Any ideas what to do next?

Saw nearly ready to run again I'm real close!

C

Condenser was toast, I went ahead and attempted to install the universal module. It makes great sparks, though I think there's maybe a timing issue - the flywheel key is sheared off so I'm not certain I have it positioned correctly.. I have compression and fuel is getting to the cylinder, spark is good..
Any ideas what to do next?

Saw nearly ready to run again I'm real close!
Get or make another key. Easy to make with a piece of flat iron, a file and hacksaw

Get or make another key. Easy to make with a piece of flat iron, a file and hacksaw
I went to an industrial supply shop a long time ago and bought a supply of various sizes in three foot lengths and cut off what I need. Handy to have in your own shop when you need it. Also had a machinist friend make a few stepped keys to have for mismatched key ways. Also bought various half moon keys.Having a lot of supplies saves a lot of time and trips to buy it.

He’s got some nice Macs too
hope he is not like guy north of Iroquois who first of week made a deal with me for p50 and sold it to somebody else. I was up there early to get it and his wife said he sold it and messaged me about it. When I got home there was a message at 330 am. I was not expecting it and he was a balls less person to let his wife handle it as he had left. Still pissed off.Clean macs but seem pricey.I have a couple of 1010s that came in deals for pioneer saws and both are fairly clean but one needs recoil repair and the other fuel system clean up. The two cost twenty five each.One is a 1010 and the other one shown here.DSCF2678.JPG

The disease has hit again . Just finished making a deal and am picking up tomorrow afternoon' This is his advertising photo and he said no parts missing and they have compression.View attachment 910686

the ra w/chrome lettering intact is nice find

Back