Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P61 H is a half wrap. A P61F is a full wrap which would be a western.
The chain saw collector page shows a P61, Black handle, exhaust guard, full wrap handle and no Western decal, and also shows a green handle saw with exhaust shield, really strange? Les

I think it's well established Acres' website is riddled with errors. For example, under Pioneer 15-60 is a picture of my restored 15-20. My saw and he blanked the 15-20 decal on the side. If the picture was pilfered from the 'other' evil site a picture of my 15-60 is there also. Why he chose to misrepresent the saw I don't know.

That said, the picture of the black P61 with the guard could be a an early preproduction saw. I have a 750 operators manual that doesn't show the saw having a green top cover.

I think it's well established Acres' website is riddled with errors. For example, under Pioneer 15-60 is a picture of my restored 15-20. My saw and he blanked the 15-20 decal on the side. If the picture was pilfered from the 'other' evil site a picture of my 15-60 is there also. Why he chose to misrepresent the saw I don't know.

That said, the picture of the black P61 with the guard could be a an early preproduction saw. I have a 750 operators manual that doesn't show the saw having a green top cover.
Interesting bits of information on variations on production runs, All though the 1980 & 1990 years in Ontario I went to the Ontario Plowing Match which had a huge area foe Wood Lot management lots of small band saws mills cutting and chainsaw carving also all the major manufactures of anything to to do with Wood . I had lots of conversations with Pioneer reps , and other makers of saws, lots of stories told but a real good time, It was always beside the Steam Traction engines and real large display, the plowing match is still going every year but not what is was then, In 1970 we had like 160000 farmers in Ontario and most farms were smaller and had woodlots and lots of farmers like me spent time in there hardwood bushes today maybe 60000 farmers. Les

The chain saw collector page shows a P61, Black handle, exhaust guard, full wrap handle and no Western decal, and also shows a green handle saw with exhaust shield, really strange? Les

Most manufacturers did running changes to use up obsoleted parts if possible rather than scrap / repaint etc.

Exhausts wouldn't be swappable between the two. Rear exhaust wouldn't fit under the clutch cover grill and the front exhaust of the green saw would scorch the back of the western clutch cover.

I am now having carb problems with my 3200. It was running great then flooded out on me. Won't hold pressure on the metering plug. Cleaned it again & was a little better but still leaks. Is there a fix for that or another carb that works? Couldn't find an hs39-b anywhere.
You can mail it over to me ,Jeff.

Serial plate is gone. Somebody scratched this behind the clutch cover.

MOD 461 P61 GFW

Whatever all that means.
Well the W likely means Western, but not sure about the GF or the 4 infront of the 61. Thanks for all the good information. Les

Not sure what G stands for but the FW is Full Wrap, Western. I wonder of the G refers to the muffler guard.

I've seen a few late model Peterborough saws that have the plate numbers scratched into the paint on the bottom of the saw.

Not sure what G stands for but the FW is Full Wrap, Western. I wonder of the G refers to the muffler guard.

I've seen a few late model Peterborough saws that have the plate numbers scratched into the paint on the bottom of the saw.
Yes I have seen a couple of scratched # on saws , but maybe ran out of plates and had to do something fast sure looks crude on a production saw, I was told the last of the saws coming out of Peterorough that things were getting real short on inventory and money was real tight, the move to Huron Park in London was a big injection of fresh money to get rolling again. Les

That PP52 I have has both the scratched in numbers that match the plate. Knowing the character of the original owner, he would never have scratched anything into the saw.
Yes I can`t understand why they would scratch the number in when they was a serial plate, likely will never have a answer.
The farm saw had cheaper spark controler and also cheaper drive and maybe other things, my dad in around 1980 traded a ICL pioneer for a Farmsaw and it seemed okay and then he traded it for a new P39 Plus which he liked better, I did not like the red colour but that is just me. I purchased my Pioneer Partner P42 which I said before came from the Pioneer testing dept and it was like twice the saw cutting hardwood compared to the Farmsaw. The Farmsaw was like $50 cheaper than a P41 here in Ontario and my dad would not spend the extra money, a dollar was a real dollar then. Les

Yes I can`t understand why they would scratch the number in when they was a serial plate, likely will never have a answer.
The farm saw had cheaper spark controler and also cheaper drive and maybe other things, my dad in around 1980 traded a ICL pioneer for a Farmsaw and it seemed okay and then he traded it for a new P39 Plus which he liked better, I did not like the red colour but that is just me. I purchased my Pioneer Partner P42 which I said before came from the Pioneer testing dept and it was like twice the saw cutting hardwood compared to the Farmsaw. The Farmsaw was like $50 cheaper than a P41 here in Ontario and my dad would not spend the extra money, a dollar was a real dollar then. Les
I meant Dad had a IEL my mistake Les

I have a P50S saw here that I intend to send down the road and have ordered a repair kit for the Walbro SDC carb. This carb has the richening circuit to prevent over-revving, so I am wondering once I have the kit installed, how does a person go about tuning the high speed needle on this saw? Can anyone here give me a tutorial? I don't have any wood here to test it in.

Latest posts

Back