Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just picked up this 3270s recently. As you can she she is rather filthy and missing a bunch of paint. But she is complete and has a clean cylinder and fired off a little fuel in the carb.

I currently have it stripped down for cleaning and am debating on if I want to paint it. I would also like to replace the crank seals while it is apart. Does anyone have a crank seal size so I can look for some aftermarket seals?

Thanks

View attachment 1008424View attachment 1008425View attachment 1008426View attachment 1008427

Nice old saws, pretty quick for the era I'd say. I have all but 1 of the 77cc models but I believe I have and will have all the parts to reassemble my missing saw, the 3270 auto. I don't see the exhaust in the pictures. Helluva Homelite spike on that thing.

The FW side is definitely CR5926 or Timken (National) 471532 . I have those in my 3200, both sides. The only possible issue is the width (depth) which puts the seal case close to the bearing cage so it needs to be no deeper than flush with the case.
Thanks for posting the 3270 PTO seal which is different than the 3200..

The FW side is definitely CR5626 or Timken (National) 471532 . I have those in my 3200, both sides. The only possible issue is the width (depth) which puts the seal case close to the bearing cage so it needs to be no deeper than flush with the case.
Thanks for posting the 3270 PTO seal which is different than the 3200..

I think you meant CR5926. Don't worry, I'm having a hard keeping all these numbers straight. I ordered my skf seals last night as I have a project or 2 coming up.

I think you meant CR5926. Don't worry, I'm having a hard keeping all these numbers straight. I ordered my skf seals last night as I have a project or 2 coming up.

Fixed. Thanks Chris. Yep too many numbers for this old guy.

As far as the P series Pioneers and other Pioneers that take Pioneer PN 428746, the following seal is a much better fit than the CR5606 seal.

Use Dichtomatik Americas15X25.5X4.5TC which converts to 0.591" X 1.004" X 0.177

As far as the P series Pioneers and other Pioneers that take Pioneer PN 428746, the following seal is a much better fit than the CR5606 seal.

The Dichtomatik seal may be better. The SKF interchange gave 5606 when I plugged in the Pioneer number.

I did some work on my 3270 project and can say the CR5606 seal will not work for PTO side on the auto oiling saws. Fits the bore and shaft but sits up out of the case a few millimeters. Tightening the clutch assembly makes the inner thrust washer drag on the seal and bind up the whole mess. The lower profile seal Tim listed would be the proper fit. I used the CR5962 seal on the flywheel side and it seems fine. (I think the 5662 seal will be adequate as well in place of the 5962). I cannot say this same seal will work OK for PTO side on non-auto oiling saws. One day I will determine that.

Here's my 3270. New crank bearings, rod and bearings, rings. The cylinder had previously been stolen for my 2400 project but I acquired another. New fuel tank--too much mag corrosion put holes in the old one.

IMG_20220824_2791.jpgIMG_20220824_257.jpg

That's great Chris. I had no idea how snappy the 77cc models were. I suspect they would run with anything of that era easily.

I have two 3200's and a 14-20. That series doesn't show up often here.

Likely the lack of paint and obscurity saw most of them going to landfill.

I remember running that very nicely restored 1560 you have at your GTG.

That's great Chris. I had no idea how snappy the 77cc models were. I suspect they would run with anything of that era easily.

I have two 3200's and a 14-20. That series doesn't show up often here.

Likely the lack of paint and obscurity saw most of them going to landfill.

I remember running that very nicely restored 1560 you have at your GTG.

That was the 15-20 I ran at my GTG. The 1560 stayed on the shelf that day.

I did some work on my 3270 project and can say the CR5606 seal will not work for PTO side on the auto oiling saws. Fits the bore and shaft but sits up out of the case a few millimeters. Tightening the clutch assembly makes the inner thrust washer drag on the seal and bind up the whole mess. The lower profile seal Tim listed would be the proper fit. I used the CR5962 seal on the flywheel side and it seems fine. (I think the 5662 seal will be adequate as well in place of the 5962). I cannot say this same seal will work OK for PTO side on non-auto oiling saws. One day I will determine that.

Here's my 3270. New crank bearings, rod and bearings, rings. The cylinder had previously been stolen for my 2400 project but I acquired another. New fuel tank--too much mag corrosion put holes in the old one.

View attachment 1012494View attachment 1012495

Love your Chainsaw Mount Holder in the Pic. ls it one you made yourself. Looks strong.

Back