Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another little bit of trivia about the family of saws starting with the P40. The P40 started with 5/16 in. bar studs and no chain brake. Later in the production a chain brake was added with holes matching the 5/16 in. studs. Then the stud size was changed to 3/8 in. The P41, P50, P60 and everything that followed had the larger studs. The P50 and P60 started out with no chain brake and they were added later.

l am not aware of a Chain brake assy being availiable for the later P40 Saws. Their was though a Steel Handle Guard availiable as a accessory (474614) attaches to the front handle of the P40 after serial No. 1113801
They are hard to find.

Another little bit of trivia about the family of saws starting with the P40. The P40 started with 5/16 in. bar studs and no chain brake. Later in the production a chain brake was added with holes matching the 5/16 in. studs. Then the stud size was changed to 3/8 in. The P41, P50, P60 and everything that followed had the larger studs. The P50 and P60 started out with no chain brake and they were added later.
Many thanks, Mike
I have a P51, rescued from a collapsed barn, with chain brake and 3/8 NF bar studs. I believe it is an early 80's ? model (m/n 492243 s/n 336344938)
My delight while refurbishing this lovely old saw was redoubled upon finding David Lee's wonderful "Chainsaws" book, which features many of the machines in your collection
I was able to find most mechanical parts, but still seek a fan housing (or at least the perforated metal shrouds, as mine housing is missing most of its "teeth"). Ditto the plastic hand guard (mounts to lower handle).Any similar tips as to other Pioneer models which might share these parts?
john

Attachments

• P1030424.JPG
    P1030424.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
  • P1030421.JPG
    P1030421.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 2
  • P1030422.JPG
    P1030422.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 1
Many thanks, Mike
I have a P51, rescued from a collapsed barn, with chain brake and 3/8 NF bar studs. I believe it is an early 80's ? model (m/n 492243 s/n 336344938)
My delight while refurbishing this lovely old saw was redoubled upon finding David Lee's wonderful "Chainsaws" book, which features many of the machines in your collection
I was able to find most mechanical parts, but still seek a fan housing (or at least the perforated metal shrouds, as mine housing is missing most of its "teeth"). Ditto the plastic hand guard (mounts to lower handle).Any similar tips as to other Pioneer models which might share these parts?
john
Great saw !! My 51 took the baffle out of muffler made a big difference in performance.

Attachments

• CA6D1F4C-3AD7-4BEE-AF01-CDB99720EF8A.jpeg
    CA6D1F4C-3AD7-4BEE-AF01-CDB99720EF8A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Great saw !! My 51 took the baffle out of muffler made a big difference in performance.
Wonderful photo; yours!
(I've never actually seen another P51 in person. Yours has flat? (vs round) chain brake handle, and a rear exit? muffler? Beautiful, high-end chain bar as well!)

I'd like to find hand guard and fan cover before using the old Pioneer. Fresh NOS rings, reed valve, etc... It really needs the compression release and takes a pretty hearty pull. Makes my Stihl 026 feel like a toy. I'm guessing the P51 is very torquey under load...

Wonderful photo; yours!
(I've never actually seen another P51 in person. Yours has flat? (vs round) chain brake handle, and a rear exit? muffler? Beautiful, high-end chain bar as well!)

I'd like to find hand guard and fan cover before using the old Pioneer. Fresh NOS rings, reed valve, etc... It really needs the compression release and takes a pretty hearty pull. Makes my Stihl 026 feel like a toy. I'm guessing the P51 is very torquey under load...
Those reed saws rip !!
View attachment IMG_0447.MOV

Wonderful photo; yours!

No chain break , it’s a full wrap with original hand guard early edition.

WOW! How do you get your work bench so clean. 👍
Thanks for noticing...it's new. Had the local steel center bend up 14g galvanized to a drawing, and cantilevered resulting bench off basement wall, using 2 x 3 lumber and plywood frame. 30" x 60" with 4" backsplash; 5" vice.

I really like the cantilevered approach; keeps floor clear. I'm building a 28" x 14' copy for my barn wood shop. May make 7' formica, 7' steel surface

Latest posts

Back