Pioneer Farmsaw 24"+ bar recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildcat99s

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey. I have a Farmsaw with a 20" bar and i was looking for a longer bar. somewhere between 24-26 inches that will accept a .058 gauge 3/8" chain. I've been looking around a little and most i've seen are 18" to 20". does anyone have any suggestions? Most of the OEM bars i've seen are 18-20". and was trying to find a compatible one, but was unsure which other brands could work without a lot of modifications.

Thanks

I think i found one that will work. I ran across this cross reference page here if anyone ever needs it. it has virtually all specs on all bars for any saw. But it looks like none of them have the D007 mount because it's outdated so they say to use a D009 instead which has a slightly bigger slot.

https://www.outdoorking.com/pages/Oregon/Oregon Chain and Bar Reference.pdf
D009 is a large Husky mount. It will not fit 3/8” studs but can be made to work by filing the slot out a bit. The actual bar mount is a D196 which is the larger Homelite mount. Before the Oregon 007 came out Windsor UXL mounts were called for. The equivalent Oregon was the 096 or later 196.
As the larger Homelite mounts are no longer made, the 009 can be made to work and is available in a full range of lengths. You only need to file about 0.5 mm or so. The outlet holes for oiling can also be bored out a tad.
Cannon bars even call for their Husky mounts for those Pioneers and Homelites. The explicit instructions to file the bar to fit the larger studs are noted in their literature.

D009 is a large Husky mount. It will not fit 3/8” studs but can be made to work by filing the slot out a bit. The actual bar mount is a D196 which is the larger Homelite mount. Before the Oregon 007 came out Windsor UXL mounts were called for. The equivalent Oregon was the 096 or later 196.
As the larger Homelite mounts are no longer made, the 009 can be made to work and is available in a full range of lengths. You only need to file about 0.5 mm or so. The outlet holes for oiling can also be bored out a tad.
Cannon bars even call for their Husky mounts for those Pioneers and Homelites. The explicit instructions to file the bar to fit the larger studs are noted in their literature.

That's one thing that's slightly confusing. if my pioneer has a 007 mount the slot should be .322" wide. And the 009 mount has a slot of .355", and a D196 has a slot of .375". So if the 009 and D196 are wider than the 007, why is it needed to file .5mm before the studs would work? I've read several people mention having to file it. But the specs show them bigger so i figured i'd have a gap to worry about instead of having to make them bigger?

I don't mind modifying the bar however it needs to be. As i've already modified my original OEM pioneer bar. I reshaped the base of the bar a little so the chain links would be nearly flush with the bottom of the oiling hole in the bar so the links will clean out any saw dust that accumulates and helps it keeping the oiling holes clean.

Unfortunately, there is a mistake in that guide for those 007 bar mount specs. That is an older spec sheet and someone messed up with the proof reading. I can confirm that the 9mm Husky mount still needs to be filed out to 9.5mm to fit the studs on a P-series and larger Poulan Pro (655), pioneer/partner saws. They are 3/8 studs. The larger 196 Homelite/Echo mount is a direct swap for the obsoleted 007. Or, as many have resorted to, a filed out 009 will suffice. Measure the stud diameter, or the diameter of the stud hole in the bar plate. Should be right at 3/8. If you have a dealer nearby, see if they have some 009 Husky mounts. They shouldn’t fit off of the shelf without some filing unless someone has modified the studs themselves.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes since. You'd think that Oregon or someone would have fixed that already over the years.

I went ahead and ordered me a 28" bar and chain for an upcoming tree falling party. I was going to go with a 24" but it's only 4 inches bigger than what i have now and decided why not just go bigger. The tree i need to cut has a trunk of nearly 30". but the 30" bar won't fit into my saw case, so it'll be a special job bar.

The larger 196 Homelite/Echo mount is a direct swap for the obsoleted 007.

Ahem.. yes but not quite. While the bar tail is the same exact size and the adjuster holes are close enough to swap, the big difference is in the drive link count between the two bars. For example the Homelite bar in 24" will take a 81DL chain while the 24" D009 Husky bar will need 84 DL.

I believe that was the main reason they invented the D007 mount even though the tail was near identical to the Homelite mount. Seems Pioneer wanted to go with the European chain length's.

But when mounting the Husqvarna D009 bar on a Poulan, Echo or Homelite they seem to require a odd size chain a lot of times, usually 1 DL less. I can't remember when putting one on a Pioneer but it is something to watch for.

Ahem.. yes but not quite. While the bar tail is the same exact size and the adjuster holes are close enough to swap, the big difference is in the drive link count between the two bars. For example the Homelite bar in 24" will take a 81DL chain while the 24" D009 Husky bar will need 84 DL.

I believe that was the main reason they invented the D007 mount even though the tail was near identical to the Homelite mount. Seems Pioneer wanted to go with the European chain length's.

But when mounting the Husqvarna D009 bar on a Poulan, Echo or Homelite they seem to require a odd size chain a lot of times, usually 1 DL less. I can't remember when putting one on a Pioneer but it is something to watch for.

Thanks Mark. That odd DL count is something to be aware of for certain. Something I forgot. Curiously, I’ll have to go and check the mid 70’s Windsor chart I have to compare the DL counts for the UXL (Homelite vs Pioneer). I can’t recall off of the top of my head, but the DL count for the 24” UXL on a 7-pin (Homelite setup) was different than the common 8-pin spur equipped from the Terry factories. One link too short for the 8’s. I know some of the P-series came with 7 or 8’s depending on half/full wrap setup. Don’t know if the similar DL differences occur when swapping between 7 or 8’s on the Pioneers. I’ve never run any 8’s on them. I’ve never actually seen a proper Oregon D007 mount up here. Seems Windsor was the big winner at the Canadian factories and for imports. UXL on pretty much every Homelite, Poulan, Echo and Pioneer I’ve ever picked up. Different bar plates when needed and stud spacers for the 5/16”. Good steel on those old Windsor’s too. Modern Oregon’s seem to have lost that important detail.

Thanks Mark. That odd DL count is something to be aware of for certain. Something I forgot. Curiously, I’ll have to go and check the mid 70’s Windsor chart I have to compare the DL counts for the UXL (Homelite vs Pioneer). I can’t recall off of the top of my head, but the DL count for the 24” UXL on a 7-pin (Homelite setup) was different than the common 8-pin spur equipped from the Terry factories. One link too short for the 8’s. I know some of the P-series came with 7 or 8’s depending on half/full wrap setup. Don’t know if the similar DL differences occur when swapping between 7 or 8’s on the Pioneers. I’ve never run any 8’s on them. I’ve never actually seen a proper Oregon D007 mount up here. Seems Windsor was the big winner at the Canadian factories and for imports. UXL on pretty much every Homelite, Poulan, Echo and Pioneer I’ve ever picked up. Different bar plates when needed and stud spacers for the 5/16”. Good steel on those old Windsor’s too. Modern Oregon’s seem to have lost that important detail.
I knew you had forgot, so I was just reminding about the DL counts on D007 bars and the difference is real. Seems most of the D007 bars I have seen are mostly .058 gauge as well and that is what really turned me off of those.

My main point and it shouldn't be lost is that when putting a big Husky bar on these older saws they more then likely will end up needing a 1 DL shorter chain than what that bar calls for. The exception is when you get into the longer 32" + lengths they seem to work OK with standard DL counts but they do seem to take up more of the adjustment to get there.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes since. You'd think that Oregon or someone would have fixed that already over the years.

I went ahead and ordered me a 28" bar and chain for an upcoming tree falling party. I was going to go with a 24" but it's only 4 inches bigger than what i have now and decided why not just go bigger. The tree i need to cut has a trunk of nearly 30". but the 30" bar won't fit into my saw case, so it'll be a special job bar.

Farmsaws were good runners but depending on what your cutting a 28" is starting to push it pretty good. Keep your chain sharp and give it a light hand..

Farmsaws were good runners but depending on what your cutting a 28" is starting to push it pretty good. Keep your chain sharp and give it a light hand..

yeah. If my saw wasn't just rebuilt and is a beast i wouldn't try to go with a long bar. I normally don't cut that big of trunks as most are under 24". but the big tree i need to take down is bigger, but it's dead, so that'll make it a little easier to cut down. but if in the future my saw struggles with the long bar then i'll just switch to a skip tooth for the big cuts.

yeah. If my saw wasn't just rebuilt and is a beast i wouldn't try to go with a long bar. I normally don't cut that big of trunks as most are under 24". but the big tree i need to take down is bigger, but it's dead, so that'll make it a little easier to cut down. but if in the future my saw struggles with the long bar then i'll just switch to a skip tooth for the big cuts.
I'm more concerned about the small clutch then I am about the saws power. Thats why I said keep a light hand on it.

ok. i'll keep an eye and ear out for that. So just curious, are there any compatible heavy duty clutches that will work for my saw if it's a problem.

So after a mistake from amazon i finally got my new 28" bar a week late. It was fairly easier to make the D009 bar mount to my saw than i thought it would be. I did have to take a file the slot a little... but it was just to remove the powder coating so it slid better when tightening up the chain. And i had to use a 1/4" end mill to open up the oiling hole to match the oiling hole on my original bar, and a slight wallowing of the chain tensioner holes on the bar so that would line up. But besides those few little things, it's ready to cut this afternoon.

Back