Piston Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be from putting the cheapest $25. Cylinder kit on it and that is why?
ports looks really clean for it to be the old one?

Thanks for all the replies. I live 1200 miles from the shop now, but wouldn't walk through their door again. Wasn't a pleasant experience. I took the old piston & cylinder when I picked up the saw, but I chucked them when I moved...there was a lot of transfer. The new cylinder is definitely Stihl, has the raised letters across the base. The shop that did the work was a lawnmower shop, there's no chainsaw shops in that neck of the woods. Wouldn't be surprised if it was sloppy work, you should see how their 'sharpened' chains came out. Any thoughts about what appear to be small horizontal lines on the piston? Thanks again.

Thanks for all the replies. I live 1200 miles from the shop now, but wouldn't walk through their door again. Wasn't a pleasant experience. I took the old piston & cylinder when I picked up the saw, but I chucked them when I moved...there was a lot of transfer. The new cylinder is definitely Stihl, has the raised letters across the base. The shop that did the work was a lawnmower shop, there's no chainsaw shops in that neck of the woods. Wouldn't be surprised if it was sloppy work, you should see how their 'sharpened' chains came out. Any thoughts about what appear to be small horizontal lines on the piston? Thanks again.
Those are the machine marks from manufacture and are a good sign. When those start to disappear wear has set in.

I have 25 year old Stihl that still have those marks, and they have worn out many chains.

Replies are all over the place on this.

My question is why in the **** are you having a shop 1200 miles a way work on your saw.
Did you drop it off while on vacation or something weird?

Seems there may be shops a few hundred miles closer that would be glad to **** your **** up. Or you could have done it your self and screwing it up would have cost alot less

OP - Thanks for all the replies. I live 1200 miles from the shop now,
Evan- My question is why in the **** are you having a shop 1200 miles a way work on your saw.

"from the shop now" indicates the OP may have moved.

I guess thats okay then. Sorry I was just like wtf

For what its worth ive never seen any stihl shops with techs worth half a ****.

20 years ago there was a good shop good father son setup but like all good things theyre gone.

No real stihl techs in the area anymore

20 years ago there was a good shop good father son setup but like all good things theyre gone.

Working on saws just doesn't pay in most cases. The saw techs that are good are typicaly the dealership owners. There are a few in MI that are very good. Where I live now there are none.

It is a curiosity. I was only half paying attention, but looking at the exhaust port coating it appears that the cylinder was replaced and not just the piston.
If look you closely over to the far right on the piston their appears to be some more of that "rubbing".
Or, whatever it is.

I live in the PNW, and we've got 2 or 3 shops that are supposed to be very good. Given where I live, I'm 35 miles from anything. Madsen's is too far, 150 miles.

I live in the PNW, and we've got 2 or 3 shops that are supposed to be very good. Given where I live, I'm 35 miles from anything. Madsen's is too far, 150 miles.
@otisdog Are you still running the saw as is? Or did you do anything to rebuild? Just curious since this hasn’t had any posts in a couple months.

The saw was running fine when you pulled the muffler, right? Just curious if performance has degraded (if you’re running it).

Yes, it was running fine, just wanted to open it up a bit.
No, it's sitting on the bench until I can get it to Wood's for their opinion

Back