ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Gold Clip Capital
Traverse Creek Inc

Plasma cutter help

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
Anybody have some knowledge on this? I recently bought this machine

and am thinking about upgrading the torch head. The company doesn't have any other heads on their website, so I would like to know what is the best head I can put on this machine. Any help?

Thanks!

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
Anybody have some knowledge on this? I recently bought this machine

and am thinking about upgrading the torch head. The company doesn't have any other heads on their website, so I would like to know what is the best head I can put on this machine. Any help?

Thanks!
I’ve got a Hypertherm 1250 thats cut a lot of metal and has had just about every torch brand you you can think of..best by far is Victor. They ain’t cheap though.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

I’ve got a Hypertherm 1250 thats cut a lot of metal and has had just about every torch brand you you can think of..best by far is Victor. They ain’t cheap though.

Wow - you weren't kidding. Those are spendy! Is there a cheaper suggestion? If I had a decent cutter I'd get the victor, but a $200 cutter with a $600 torch is a bit much.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
Wow - you weren't kidding. Those are spendy! Is there a cheaper suggestion? If I had a decent cutter I'd get the victor, but a $200 cutter with a $600 torch is a bit much.
Not really, you can buy headaches or pay extra for something that does as intended. I want a new lead for aluminum welding. The mig gun and lead that works well is over $2,000 dollars. I have a mm350 pulse welder. There are lesser mig guns available. Be ready to fight the job should you decide to go cheap

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Because we all need a $5k welder and a $2k plasma cutter. Get a grip. Unc this is my experience with the cheap stuff. It works and then it doesnt. How long depends on a lot of things including how they are built. I have a $400.00 Ebay no name plasma cutter that's been working just fine for years. Can it do real big jobs? Nope. Would it run every day all day? Doubt it. But the little I use it it works just fine. And if it craps out tomorrow I'll just go buy another. Theres a big difference between a hypertherm and china therm, just not enough for guys like me to justify the cost. For general repairs they work just fine.

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
Because we all need a $5k welder and a $2k plasma cutter. Get a grip. Unc this is my experience with the cheap stuff. It works and then it doesnt. How long depends on a lot of things including how they are built. I have a $400.00 Ebay no name plasma cutter that's been working just fine for years. Can it do real big jobs? Nope. Would it run every day all day? Doubt it. But the little I use it it works just fine. And if it craps out tomorrow I'll just go buy another. Theres a big difference between a hypertherm and china therm, just not enough for guys like me to justify the cost. For general repairs they work just fine.
So after you recited your ..I like cheap tools speech..what torch did you recommend?

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
So after you recited your ..I like cheap tools speech..what torch did you recommend?
After your expensive tool speech, what torch did you recommend? LOL!

My experience with a Victor plasma cutter was quite different from yours. Using Eric's "buy expensive stuff to save headaches" plan, I spent around $1500 on a Victor, even though it is a rarely used tool for me. Never got it run for more than a few inches. After several trips to the dealer and spending hours driving back and forth, and weeks between waiting for repairs to find it still didn't cut, I gave up and bought a $300 Chinese cutter. It works flawlessly and hasn't let me down yet. That said I only cut maybe a hindered feet of 3/16 steel or so a year.

I'd like to hear what different heads have in advantage over what comes with a plasma torch. It sounds like you have some good experience with these things.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King

My experience with a Victor plasma cutter was quite different from yours. Using Eric's "buy expensive stuff to save headaches" plan, I spent around $1500 on a Victor, even though it is a rarely used tool for me. Never got it run for more than a few inches. After several trips to the dealer and spending hours driving back and forth, and weeks between waiting for repairs to find it still didn't cut, I gave up and bought a $300 Chinese cutter. It works flawlessly and hasn't let me down yet. That said I only cut maybe a hindered feet of 3/16 steel or so a year.

I'd like to hear what different heads have in advantage over what comes with a plasma torch. It sounds like you have some good experience with these things.
So it was brand new, would only cut several inches at a time.......did it occur to you to take it back for service or replacement? Any and I mean any dealers around here would have replaced it or repaired without argument. Lol

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite

The OP asked for a recommendation on torch upgrades for his machine and I gave him the brand I’ve had the best luck with. Victor has the best performing consumables and they’re available at every weld supply house in town , I think Lowe’s even carries some stuff. The cost of the plasma unit is really irrelevant in this thread , he wanted a torch/lead that improved performance and I gave my opinion. If you want to help any cutter work better buy the best dryer you can afford, crappy air kills plasma cutters.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Theres nothing wrong with the torch it comes with, parts are plentiful and typically interchange with tweeco, victor, or bernard. Suggesting he buy a $2k torch for something he will more then likely not use often is insulting. And I buy my tools as I need, I depend on my hand tools daily, they are snap on, and mac for the most part. Welder not so much. I may be use one 3 times a month, If that at times, so why spend thousands of dollars? It doesnt make sense, by your logic you should be driving a semi around to pick up your groceries, never mind that you only need it for 1 load out of the month. Same thing just with a welder.

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
Theres nothing wrong with the torch it comes with, parts are plentiful and typically interchange with tweeco, victor, or bernard. Suggesting he buy a $2k torch for something he will more then likely not use often is insulting. And I buy my tools as I need, I depend on my hand tools daily, they are snap on, and mac for the most part. Welder not so much. I may be use one 3 times a month, If that at times, so why spend thousands of dollars? It doesnt make sense, by your logic you should be driving a semi around to pick up your groceries, never mind that you only need it for 1 load out of the month. Same thing just with a welder.
Who recommended buying a $2K torch , I’m talking about the the torch lead by Victor not the entire plasma cutter.

JeffHK454

JeffHK454

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes I apologize. $600.00 torch. I stand corrected. Still overkill for a light use cutter, but yes not $2k.
I paid $400 for mine a couple years ago , 30 footer and a great investment that should last as long as the plasma machine does. I’ve always been guilty of buying the best I can afford , the Hypertherm I own cuts 1.5 stock and that ability has been put to the test before. I also had big ideas about building a burn table but that never worked out.

ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
What's wrong with the current torch?

I have a 60 amp 240v machine, it uses that same style torch.
Works fine and tips are cheap online.

I learned quickly to not buy consumables at the local welding shop. I have no idea what the deal is, but the prices are crazy.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
I paid $400 for mine a couple years ago , 30 footer and a great investment that should last as long as the plasma machine does. I’ve always been guilty of buying the best I can afford , the Hypertherm I own cuts 1.5 stock and that ability has been put to the test before. I also had big ideas about building a burn table but that never worked out.
I came across rather brash, an I apologize for that. I'm the odd ball in my family, I'm the mechanic and my father and brothers are welders, so I give my opinion knowing what good quality machines can do. I just personally coulndt see spending that money on a cheap machine. I apologize if I have offended you.

Reactions: tfp
ChoppyChoppy

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Unc, as mentioned above, the best thing you can do is for any plasma cutter is make sure you have a good air dryer. We ran one with out a dryer and it just gave us fits. I put a dryer on the machine and it had far fewer problems with it.

I use an air/water separator plus a large desiccant dryer.
Desiccant turns pink when wet, just put in in the oven or microwave to dry.

Moisture kills the consumables. Cutting on dirty materials and drag cutting is rough too.

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Guru
Asking for tool recommendations is like throwing a steak into a pig pen LOL, It would help a to know the amount of use it will see. A 200 dollar head for every so often use vs a 500+ dollar head thats heavier duty and more comfortable to hold all day, day after day.
The most important information in this thread so far is protecting the machine with proper air pressure/volume and that it is DRY..also running off a correct amperage supply will dramatically increase the service life of the machine and its head. Cutting greasy/rusty or even zinc coated materials ruins tips and can even damage the head.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

Thanks again.

I have a dryer on my compressor, and the machine has one as well.

I don't expect to use it all that often. Building the occasional log arch, or adding something to my trailer, or some other little project that requires a bit of metal.