ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Gold Clip Capital
Traverse Creek Inc

Plasma cutter help

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
So it was brand new, would only cut several inches at a time.......did it occur to you to take it back for service or replacement? Any and I mean any dealers around here would have replaced it or repaired without argument. Lol
I did buy it new, and it wouldn't stay lit or if it did light it would go out in short order. I took it back and they had to send it to another store because they couldn't figure it out, the other store said they fixed it, but when I got it back it was the same problem. Maybe it was an intermittent problem.

I took it back a second time, no luck.

I took it back a third time, after a couple weeks they said it works fine and suggested my power supply was bad. So I took it home and it did work in my garage, so I hired an electrician to check my power supply at the shop($$), they couldn't find any issues with the power supply. The thing still wouldn't work. I took it home a second time and now it wouldn't work on that power supply and compressor. A couple years later it's still sitting in the corner of my garage basically unused.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
I did buy it new, and it wouldn't stay lit or if it did light it would go out in short order. I took it back and they had to send it to another store because they couldn't figure it out, the other store said they fixed it, but when I got it back it was the same problem. Maybe it was an intermittent problem.

I took it back a second time, no luck.

I took it back a third time, after a couple weeks they said it works fine and suggested my power supply was bad. So I took it home and it did work in my garage, so I hired an electrician to check my power supply at the shop($$), they couldn't find any issues with the power supply. The thing still wouldn't work. I took it home a second time and now it wouldn't work on that power supply and compressor. A couple years later it's still sitting in the corner of my garage basically unused.
Knowing ewe it’s a made up story. Lol

les-or-more

les-or-more

I was here but now im gone!
Knowing ewe it’s a made up story. Lol
I have a cutmaster 52, it is finicky about what power it is fed, runs fine off my trailblazer goes batcrap off my neighbors bobcat. I have had it not work at a couple of places off line voltage, never have figured out just what it is that makes it act up. I assumed the bobcat was making dirty power, but it has acted the same twice off the grid, I can run a cord and fire up the trailblazer and it works fine, plug it in at home and it is fine. I am always in a hurry when it happens so never get to investigate the why, it works good most places.

les-or-more

les-or-more

I don't expect
96a.jpg

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
I have a cutmaster 52, it is finicky about what power it is fed, runs fine off my trailblazer goes batcrap off my neighbors bobcat. I have had it not work at a couple of places off line voltage, never have figured out just what it is that makes it act up. I assumed the bobcat was making dirty power, but it has acted the same twice off the grid, I can run a cord and fire up the trailblazer and it works fine, plug it in at home and it is fine. I am always in a hurry when it happens so never get to investigate the why, it works good most places.
Still........anyone who would spend $1,500 for brand name and not demand it be fixed or repaired to acceptable performance probably got what they deserved. Lol

les-or-more

les-or-more

Still........anyone who would spend $1,500 for brand name and not demand it be fixed or repaired to acceptable performance probably got what they deserved. Lol
Certainly.
I would have sent mine in, if it didn't work perfectly fine at home and running off the trailblazers, I wasn't a happy camper the first time I encountered the "glitch".
It would be interesting to see if another brand would operate on the power mine malfunctioned on. My gut says they would go wonky as well though, I am certain there were problems with the electricity, wrong voltage?, wrong frequency? I do not know what the problem was. For a few minutes I thought the plasma cutter was the issue, but like I have said change the source of electricity and all is well .

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
One can only spend so much time screwing around with a problem tool, especially when its $300 replacement works great, even
on the same power supply.

I only mentioned it because someone was praising Victor over the cheap chinese cutter and it's still a sore spot for me. My guess is if I open up the victor, it's chock full of chinese electronics, maybe even some of the same parts in the cheap one.

les-or-more

les-or-more

That's sounds about right.
It could be a defective board, I mentioned my units sensitivity to what power it is bring supplied as a possible alternative, mine will not run on some sources. I could plug it into an extension cord and show you it will work correctly, plug the cord into another source and it wont work, change it back and it works, all without moving the plasma cutter. I have not had the time to fully investigate what is the actual cause like I have already stated, I have only had it happen a few times. I bought mine 6 years ago and it has cut a lot of metal in that time and still works fine 99.9% of the time.

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Guru
start by checking the machines power cord and where it attaches inside the machine, simply disturbing a loose or faulty connection will cause problems...could be a bad inverter or diode, a properly functioning plasma cutter will function without issue on dirty power but fluxuations are the killer.

les-or-more

les-or-more

start by checking the machines power cord and where it attaches inside the machine, simply disturbing a loose or faulty connection will cause problems...could be a bad inverter or diode, a properly functioning plasma cutter will function without issue on dirty power but fluxuations are the killer.
I can duplicate the issue with a 50 extension cord so that no part of the cutter or cord is moved, there are some power sources mine doesn't like. Plug it into either of my portables or most grid power and you can move the cord and machine while it is being used with no issues.

les-or-more

les-or-more

sounds like you should have demanded a different machine or a refund since you cant figure it out ;)
I would have if there were something wrong with it, it works fine plugged into the wall here, it works fine plugged into my portable welders, it works fine plugged into nearly any other outlet it has been plugged into. I am simply relating my experience with my unit in an attempt to help someone fix their problem, his plasma cutter may well have nothing wrong with it.

les-or-more

les-or-more

You could try a power line filter, rated for enough amps to run your cutter. You can buy industrial power line filters fairly cheap on the surplus market. It would be interesting to see if it cured the problem.
It likely would fix the problem, it happens so infrequently that I nearly forget and then I plug it into that one in a thousand outlet that it wont run on.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
I would have if there were something wrong with it, it works fine plugged into the wall here, it works fine plugged into my portable welders, it works fine plugged into nearly any other outlet it has been plugged into. I am simply relating my experience with my unit in an attempt to help someone fix their problem, his plasma cutter may well have nothing wrong with it.
Some are naturals with a torch in hand, some get dang good after repetitive cuts and some will never figure out distance from the cut, angle of torch and travel speed alone with correct settings can make or break you. The circuitry in these machines can only compensate so much for operator error. Never rule operator error out. Lol

les-or-more

les-or-more

Some are naturals with a torch in hand, some get dang good after repetitive cuts and some will never figure out distance from the cut, angle of torch and travel speed alone with correct settings can make or break you. The circuitry in these machines can only compensate so much for operator error. Never rule operator error out. Lol
I don't do a lot of free hand cutting with plasma because I shake too much, it looks like a herd of rodents chewed the steel in two, instead of the nice clean cut plasma is capable of.

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
After a while, one figures out how to use these things. For example, if you're pressing the trigger with your thumb, and when you do your hair gets all messed up, I learned, you're holding the torch upside down. Other than that mistake, they are almost idiot proof, even though they keep making bigger idiots.

eric_271

eric_271

ArboristSite King
After a while, one figures out how to use these things. For example, if you're pressing the trigger with your thumb, and when you do your hair gets all messed up, I learned, you're holding the torch upside down. Other than that mistake, they are almost idiot proof, even though they keep making bigger idiots.
Similar to leaning on a wall while torch cutting and falling asleep. The tip dips into the puddle then blows #### everywhere indicating you didn’t maintain the correct tip to surface distance while napping. Lol