ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Gold Clip Capital
Traverse Creek Inc

Plasma cutter help

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Unc, I can't add much. My only experience has been with a Hypertherm. I was told NOT to press the trigger when the tip is not in contact with the steel, (cause excessive wear on the consumables) and that if I was to start cutting with the tip not on the edge, it would have a tendency to blow back up and mess the tip up. If I had to start in the middle of the piece I was to roll the tip from an angle to vertical.

WoodTick007

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
After your expensive tool speech, what torch did you recommend? LOL!

My experience with a Victor plasma cutter was quite different from yours. Using Eric's "buy expensive stuff to save headaches" plan, I spent around $1500 on a Victor, even though it is a rarely used tool for me. Never got it run for more than a few inches. After several trips to the dealer and spending hours driving back and forth, and weeks between waiting for repairs to find it still didn't cut, I gave up and bought a $300 Chinese cutter. It works flawlessly and hasn't let me down yet. That said I only cut maybe a hindered feet of 3/16 steel or so a year.

I'd like to hear what different heads have in advantage over what comes with a plasma torch. It sounds like you have some good experience with these things.
Can you please post pictures and a link tell you the unit you purchased and is Dependable the cheap one

Kneejerk Bombas

Kneejerk Bombas

ArboristSite King
My mom's basement, in Madison, Wisconsin.
muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a miller Spectrum 625. The older machine, not the newer inverter one. I think I paid around $1600 for it a long time ago. The only problem it has ever given me is when the air gets wet or I drop the tip into the cut and melt the tip. I build a track torch out of angle iron for my acet torch for thick cuts and then later made an adapter to fit the plasma into. With new tips, it cuts like glass, but dont get the torch height just right then the cut will be skewed one way or the other. I shoot for 1/8 above the metal and the tips seem to last and the cut will be straight. Get it to close or to far away and you end up with a lot of dross or skips in the cuts that didnt cut all the way thru. For free hand, I will use a piece of flat bar or angle iron to steady the torch body, but shaky hands often looks like a beaver has chewed thru the cut. If I was going to replace the torch body, I would either go back to a miller or a tweeco. I think miller torches are made by tweeco anyways.