Plastic handles? Suspension system? Compare MS250, MS290 vs 455

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cadmus

Reaction score
1) I always like Husqvarna when I was in college. I did a lot of tree climbing then and although the small newer climbing ones had a little plastic on them they were well built. I used mostly Stihl when I did wildfire and trail crew work. I like them and they were mostly or all metal. I kinda liked Husqvarna a little more back in the day. It used to be a toss up between what was better. It used to be like comparing Lincoln and Miller welders, fist fights would breakout. Now, in 2011, what is better? Is the jury stihl out? (ha ha that was a joke, get it still and Stihl) I am really sad that BOTH have plastic all over them including the FRONT handles? (I am currently looking at the MS290, MS250 and Husky 455)
Holding cubic centimeters constant, what is a better saw if buying new. (I am just chopping felling and bucking firewood <2'dbh. No climbing anymore. Might build a small mill with it someday, yes i know it is too small)

2) On both the Stihl (290 & 250) and the Husky (455) I looked at today the handles had little shock absorber that allowed them to flex. (The husky flexed a little more than the 290, i think) Is this to reduce vibration stress on a gloveless hand or is this to prevent the plastic handles from shattering? That was meant as a joke. But seriously I would hate to loose ANY control of the saw. I have used homelites and craftmen with a similar system and I just don’t like it compared to a SOLID preferably METAL handle. I can’t feel what is going on when doing fine work and I can’t control the blade when pruning. I guess it would maybe be nice when bucking firewood… maybe?

2a- Can these shock systems be screwed tight by replacing the spring(husky) or rubber shocks (stihl) with washers or something?

2b- If I do that will it put too much stress on the plastic handles?

2c- Does anyone sell an after market metal version of the handle (I think I know the answer to this one)?

2d- Am I being cranky? Will I get used to it and find they work better when they are made of plastic and wabaly?

3) I always support local. I never buy from national chain stores. However, I have a gift certificate for sears that would bring the Husqvarna price down a bunch (thus the MS250 vs Husk455 comparison). Let’s say I buy the Husqvarna 455 at Sears and it poops out or I need work done while still under the warranty. Can I bring it to a local Husqvarna approved shop and have warranty work done there or must it be shipped? Or must i deal with SEARS because that has been a miserable experience in the past.

I will post the milling questions in the mill section.

Last edited:
You don't have any choice.

Any new saw you buy today at any price is going to have a plastic handle and gas tank.

You will like the either of the three saws you listed but the 250 is some 7cc smaller than the others

I like my 025 very well

If you really think you would like an old school saw better than what is currently available new, why don't you buy an old one? There are plenty around and you could pick one up and put it in great condition for what you'll spend on a new one. I personally think you will like the features newer saws come with but don't want you to think they're the only option.

If you really think you would like an old school saw better than what is currently available new, why don't you buy an old one?...

I have been looking hard for 2 years, looking a little for 4. I have visited alot of craigslist posts in the last 6 months. And i feel pretty comfortable rebuilding 2 strokes... Stihl, husky, vespa... Now we just had a huge storm in Colroado and used market for SURE is going to be even worse. This part of Colorado has doubled in size in the last 15 years leaving trift shops, salvage building materials and used equipment pretty hard to find. Every one knows someone who is looking for something. All hard to find. In the midwest there was always used gear not so in colorado. I am giving up.

You don't have any choice.
Yeah, At my price range, new, i have no choice. I will still jump at old one and if people say my fears are correct I will keep holding out til i find one. But if people say modern plastic saws have advantages I will buy new soon, because it is getting cold. Also, comparing the pros and cons of those plastic saws will help me make the decision. I like the stihls, even the plastic ones but have not used a husky made in the last 15 years, yet that is the one i was going to buy because of the gift certificate.

Last edited:
I've been using one of those plastic Huskys for 10 years, cuttin around 15-20 cords a year.

I wouldn't trade it for a truck load of old saws. I love it! :msp_biggrin:

And I grew up using the old saws. They're cool, I just don't want to use em.

Oh, it's a 346xp BTW and it has a metal front handle, metal chain cover and metal crank case. And they still make em... Take a look at the Pro models of both brands.

I have two saws that have had the plastic handles replaced. They had trees fall on them before I owned them. The tree would have broken a metal handle also.

The plastic handles have given me no problems over the years. I have saws that would cost $1000 - $2000 new with plastic handles

OK maybe i am being cranky. I think the answer is buy the husky.

But can i MacGyver a way to stop the flexing in the shock absorber? Or will that ware the plastic out.

I assume the lack of fighting words means husky is still as good despite being sold at national box stores.

OK maybe i am being cranky. I think the answer is buy the husky.

But can i MacGyver a way to stop the flexing in the shock absorber? Or will that ware the plastic out.

I assume the lack of fighting words means husky is still as good despite being sold at national box stores.

Leave the spring anti-vibes alone, you will get used to it and never want to run an 'old bone shaker' again.

Husky and Stihl are both good. Some like one over the other. I like Husqvarna saws above all others, but that's just me.

You do realize, you're looking at the lower end of both brands? Good saws, but I personally like the pro models, more metal, better power to weight ratios, higher resale, easier to work on, etc...Just sayin.

I've been using a MS290 for close to 7 years and its been a good saw, never used a 455 rancher. I do have a husky 55 which is a good one.

Back