Please help identify tree, and is it dying?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bxbx

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm located in NY State. I have a very nice mature dwarf tree in my yard with beautiful red leaves. I've always thought it was a Japanese maple although the shape of the leaf does not seem to be the same as the typical Japanese maple I see. It's about 5 ft high and the same across.

I don't recall it typically dropping its leaves in the fall. However, I am currently seeing leaves that look dead from the edges inward, and also many leaves have white powdery patches on them. Most of the leaves have lost a lot of their red color.

IMG_20200913_163357.jpg
IMG_20200913_163355.jpg
IMG_20200913_163345.jpg

Is this a fungal infection? Another possibility is that a nearby swimming pool recently sprung a leak and leaked some water, however this was right after a new fill so I don't think the water had any salt or chlorine in it, but that could be wrong.

What kind of tree is this, and what can I do to save and revive this tree? Thank you so much!

Thank you so much both for the lightning fast responses. It's good to know that this isn't fatal.

There are many cultivars of the lace-leaf Japanese maple. Most common that I see are Crimson Queen and Tamukeyama...but that is too green to be either of those. But you said it lost its red color, so maybe. Red is less efficient for photosynthesis than green, so when the tree needs more energy or the leaves are shaded, leaves may go green.

Here is a list of some others: https://www.sunnysidenursery.net/laceleaf-japanese-maples

Anthracnose is common. So is physiological scorch. These trees don't like a lot of direct sunlight. When they get all day sun (especially in the afternoon), leaves often look like that.

If there were chemicals in the water, but not enough to kill it, the leaves could certainly look like that - mimicking drought damage, because the salts pull water away from the roots.

Finally, dig around the base of the tree to expose the root flare. Make sure there is not a root constricting the trunk (called a stem girdling root). that will also cause wilting of the leaves as the tree doesn't get enough water.

Back