Please help identify vintage military chainsaw case/holder/mount

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelccash

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
An elderly client took this out of his 150 year old root cellar, dusted it off and gave it to me (along with last years canned beans and peppers from his garden). I removed a few extra trees at no additional cost and he said “you sure helped me out, it’s all yours, buddy”. After drooling for a while and staring like a deer in the headlights, I was finally able to voice my gratitude and thank you’s. I love military history AND old saws so, needless to say, I was pretty happy with the gift.
This is where all of you knowledgeable folks come in…
I haven’t been able to find a single picture or any information about it. There are no markings. Maybe the case was designed to be mounted to a vehicle? Maybe there was a way to wear it? Any help identifying would be much appreciated!
Also, long time visitor, first time poster and member🤦
The saw I put in the case for visual effect is a McCulloch model 3-25 I recently picked up, hoping to get it fired up this weekend.A24ED571-7791-421E-B875-41CE8E3B8D21.jpeg0759D1C9-A53F-49C0-826B-33CF9A60E958.jpeg0669839A-EBA6-4C7C-9635-19FB53508C20.jpeg

super shocked your item has not received much for interest or replies? That military chainsaw stand/ bar scabbard/tool box combo is super cool.

The scabbard at least looks homemade. The clip/attachment may be issued; but I'd be surprised if the scabbard is. Could be, but I'd expect an issued one would be better made than that.

Looks to my eyes like the scabbard is for slipping over the tailpiece of a military motorcycle... where the saddlebags attach in this pic:

https://nationalmcmuseum.org/2016/11/11/1942-harley-davidson-wla-the-liberator/

But that's a pure guess.

The scabbard at least looks homemade. The clip/attachment may be issued; but I'd be surprised if the scabbard is. Could be, but I'd expect an issued one would be better made than that.

Just my opinion, but I disagree. That scabbard looks just like a lot of pre 90s wooden things the military owned. Right down to the painted screw.

edit, now you people have me googling chainsaw mounts trying to find something that matches.

I think the screw is probably original, but my guess is sheath was likely sheet metal and bike went down and it got bent (If I'm right on what it is and where it mounts, any time the bike tips on the right side, that thing is getting bent), and they replaced it with some scrap wood and painted it to match.

But this is a LOT of guesswork, you may well be right and it's original... Just seems like glued, stapled & painted (plywood?) is really, really bad design and quality for a motorcycle-mounted chainsaw sheath... and I doubt it could be original. Sheet metal would be lighter, sturdier, easier to clean, resist water better, etc.

Alright, I'll take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) at it. It actually looks like that might be a shoulder carrying attachment for a chainsaw. That would explain the curve in the base plate for your neck and the 2 straps to rest on each shoulder.

Alright, I'll take a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) at it. It actually looks like that might be a shoulder carrying attachment for a chainsaw. That would explain the curve in the base plate for your neck and the 2 straps to rest on each shoulder.
I like your reasoning as it explains the 2 straps (and if it were to fit into a rear motorcysle mount the metal rods pointing downwards would be much longer for more support). If the "soldier" was already wearing a backpack, the unit would sit/rest/stabalize on the top of the pack as well... However, I don't notice any means to secure it on the sholders/backpack...

That's actually pretty clever... Would the straps and that metal loop somehow hook around A framed alice pack? I can't for the life of me recall what the upper half of the frame looks like.

Before this goes further... I assume you asked the client if he had any history for it, right?

Back