please share with my what reuseable fittings you use with success

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worksafe BC is the provincial worker's compensation insurance plan. It's government run and all workers must be enrolled. It also sets safety standards for business and industry in the province, essentially OSHA and private workers comp insurance rolled into one entity.

Wearing a climbing belt instead of a fall arrest harness is against Worksafe BC regulations aka illegal. If you're going to wear a climbing belt, you have to wear the fall arrest harness overtop.

same here
Jeff

Sure thing, but I am not too worried about any regulations. To my way of thinking, it's just me and the tree.

I firmly believe that being slung out of a bucket is very bad. When I am in my climbing harness rig, snapped tightly onto the bucket with my lanyard adjusted short, I am not going to fall far enough to acquire the need for fall protection, or so I believe. Fall harnesses are engineered for fall protection, not to secure you into the bucket. Many will argue with that philosophy; I will happily read your comments, but I am not likely to change.

So...what does Worksafe BC or OSHA, (or whomever) advise is the correct way to transition into the tree from an aerial device while using climbing gear? Please remember that fall arrest protection isn't required for climbing trees.

Wear you climbing belt, put the fall arrest harness over top. When you are to climb out, put the lanyard around the tree (or climbing line) then remove the fall arrest. It's easier when you have the harness that clips rather than the one you have to climb into.

The reason the climbing belt isn't accepted as fall arrest is because you are connected at the front of the body. If you were to fall you would bend backwards at the waist causing back problems and I believe respiratory issues. A fall arrest harness supports you at the back so you would hang face down with the joints bending in a more natural position.

As I'm sure you know, a climbing belt is not fall arrest it is work positioning harness designed to catch a person who falls very little distance as there shouldn't be much slack in your climbing system.

I know you love to argue ad nauseum, but I'm not the one to argue with, the regs are the regs and I don't need the hassle or expense of a fine.

If you are doing this commercially, you should be following the safety regs, not making them up as you go.

The reason the climbing belt isn't accepted as fall arrest is because you are connected at the front of the body. If you were to fall you would bend backwards at the waist causing back problems and I believe respiratory issues. A fall arrest harness supports you at the back so you would hang face down with the joints bending in a more natural position.

That’s exactly the reason. More than one tree climber has died in tree this way too. They forget to take up slack and either lean into the rope or slip up and fall a short ways. The air gets knocked out of them and/or they go unconscious and suffocate.

Latest posts

Back