PM Canadien

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do understand this correctly? If I have a piston which is slightly undersize, having it knurled will bring closer to correct size?? Is that correct?

Try mike acres he has alot of new parts to fit 270. I just bought a bunch new parts of him.and very cheap.i have a nice few old saws but i love old canadien pm saws the most.they are well built.little bit heavy but has alot of power to do any job.and dependable.
I don't know how I missed this posting, but I was going to say that I have talked to Mike on the phone a couple of times. We were going to have coffee, but that was when Covid nailed both shoes to the floor.

The only parts I am probably going to need on the SkillSaw, are going to be bearings and seals. I have too many other things going on, which prevents me from enjoying myself on my fun projects.

Think the bearing#6203 . i got 2 at work couple days ago.they arent expensive only$6.00 cdn.now i dont know about seals.had to order a couple.not sure of cost.
That is good news. I am well aware of the 6200 series bearings, and with a little selective shopping, how inexpensive they are.
To answer your other question about knurling, my postings a few days ago, contains links to the process of using knurling to expand the metal on the piston skirt, so that a loose piston could be re-used in an engine. This was not an uncommon procedure back in the 50s, where it was not possible or economical to find a replacement piston.
I have never used knurled pistons myself, but remember being in a small town engine rebuilding facility in Vernon back in 1958, when they were knurling two pistons to fit into a flathead V8, that only required major work on a couple of cylinders. The block was repaired, honed, and the original pistons, including the two that were knurled, were re-ringed and stuffed back in the engine. Rebuilds were done differently in those small shops back then.
The two best places to learn some useful skills back then, were at a machine shop, or a blacksmith, and as a kid, I was lucky enough to have access to both. From the time I was around 10, I was allowed to hang around the blacksmith's shop, fix (or sometimes wreck) my bike, and access most of his tools to do the damage. Same thing went for the Dodge dealership at the time, Bloom and Sigalet. Growing up back then was a lot of fun for an adventurous spirit.

You had it made.wish i had that chance.my pop had a garage when i was a small kid. Him and his brother and cousin. Back when i was a kid 5 yrs old .wish i grew up around it but no souch luck. My dad was one hell of a machanic . kind of followed him. I repaired lots of engines from a small 1 cylendar up to a large v8 disel engine in a d9 tractor.and marine hit and miss up 8 cylendar marine engines.loved working on old hit a miss engines very simple engine.

thanks, yes I bought a bunch of parts and a few more on order.
3 more Canadiens in boxes to put together this winter. 175, 187, 275+
275 cylinder freshened up to fit .020 oversize piston.View attachment 1030166View attachment 1030167
Do you have any saw you want sell love to get a 177 or 187.the old cdn pm saws are some of the best built old saws builted.they are well put together.

Some nice finds in those saws. 1What looks to be a cylinder that was honed and new rings on the piston. Another i took the flywheel off and I’m pretty sure all the ignition is brand new. The 3rd one had a good spark.
the best handle bar is going on my 19A, the oil pump plunger I think is going on my 210.
533F2313-14C9-4EC9-9CF3-371975BCEAA8.jpeg19049055-B12A-484D-B440-B3205008A3CA.jpeg0006FED5-A200-42E4-A0C1-E4D0BDF8D70B.jpeg690BA2CF-5D6E-4C8F-BD19-B752F3BB5C81.jpeg

Just rediscovered my skil 1661 which I believe is equivalent to the PM 177. Bought it in march of 2014.
Thinking of maybe selling it. What would it sell for? Doesn’t look much used. Haven’t started it in 6-7 years. Just liked hearing it.

Back