Poison ivy on a load of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got a load of logs today. At least one of the trees has huge poison ivy vines on it. The guy was like well it could be worse so looks like it’s my problem. I don’t have much land but do I have any options other than just dragging it out to an out of the way place and letting it sit there for 15 years? Can it spread off the tree? Should I spray the tree down or something? Tomorrow I’m gonna pick through the load. I didn’t have any time to do it today.

I hope you didn't pay for it?

If you did, I'd want my money back and the logs removed. You can't burn that stuff the smoke will kill sensitive people.

I get that crap so bad I'll have nothing to do with it except cut a climbing vine (clean loppers with soapy bleach after) and spray that and smaller with herbicide, then let it rot.

I got a load of logs today. At least one of the trees has huge poison ivy vines on it. The guy was like well it could be worse so looks like it’s my problem. I don’t have much land but do I have any options other than just dragging it out to an out of the way place and letting it sit there for 15 years? Can it spread off the tree? Should I spray the tree down or something? Tomorrow I’m gonna pick through the load. I didn’t have any time to do it today.
DO NOT BURN, THE SMOKE CAN PUT YOU IN CCU with inflammation of LUNGS

I use a pair of channel locks to pull it off but I can just leave mine in the woods

I bucked all the wood yesterday and looks like only that one had it on it. I ended up picking it up with the backhoe on the tractor and mashing it in a small pile of debris and then covered it up. Then I kinda worked the bucket in the dirt a bit to at least in my mind clean the bucket off haha. I get the stuff too bad to wanna mess with it. I can’t take prednisone anymore either so I just gotta deal with it if I get it bad.

I bucked all the wood yesterday and looks like only that one had it on it. I ended up picking it up with the backhoe on the tractor and mashing it in a small pile of debris and then covered it up. Then I kinda worked the bucket in the dirt a bit to at least in my mind clean the bucket off haha. I get the stuff too bad to wanna mess with it. I can’t take prednisone anymore either so I just gotta deal with it if I get it bad.
Most important thing is to wash all skin with good detergent using cold water, ASAP. I use dish soap. Warm water opens up skin pores. Longer on skin more urishol gets in.

If it was in/on a load of logs the Poison Ivy is not just on that one log now.
When the other logs and equipment touched the one log it's now on quite a few or all and even the eq loading the logs has spread/transferred the oil.

The Poison Ivy does not bother me, but you need to keep a heads up and reject all future loads that has such. You will loose money if you end up in the hospital or need Dr's visits..

I get ivy bad and have to deal with it all the time. If you have no other choice, use gloves to remove it. What keeps me from breaking out better than anything is rubbing my body down with rubbing alcohol. In the field I use a bandana to do my face, neck, arms, and front of my torso, then do my whole body once I'm home. After that, take a shower with Dawn. But I'll tell ya... cutting through vines with a chainsaw is a good way to get ate up with it.

Wear gloves removing it and then throw away the gloves. That stuff is will break you out dead or green because of the oils in it.
Wash and scrub up really good as well.
Yep, excellent advice. I am REALLY allergic to poison ivy. I get it every year; it seems I just need to walk past it and I get it.
If you DO get it you may not even know it for 2 to 5 days later and see tiny translucent bumps on your skin. It is just your body reacting to it, swelling and filling it with some clear fluid. It is best to wash your fore arms(anything exposed) REALLY well before you do anything after handling poison ivy. That is the best preventative. I have found, yes sounds crazy, that using FULL strength Clorox wiping in the same direction after noticing bumps, removes the oil best. However, very important to wash copiously to remove the high strength Clorox immediately. Repeat next day if still itching. There is also cream you can have doctor prescribe but forget the name, also prednisone(steroid) is prescribable-- if you get it bad and do nothing to remove the urushiol oil.

I leave the vines to dry out, it takes a while.
Then remove with a machete under the vine and move the vines off to an area I don't use except for this kind of stuff.
Be careful.

AND the more often you get subjected to Poison Ivy it seems you do not build up and immunity to such, and actually catch it easier the next time..

Few years ago (as a safety precaution) their was a liquid that was given to employees to drink few days before they were going to be POSSIBLY subjected to the IVY. It was eventually found that it made some people more likely to break out from the Ivy and even taking the so called immune preventative caused some people to break out with blisters. The liquid preventative was removed from the market and safety kits.
I always declined use of any of the Poison Ivy preventatives because I knew I was already immune.

I can climb trees with the Poison Ivy and Oak and it does not bother me, but I do not push my luck, I avoid it as much as possible, some people (that I know) can just look at it and break out. Chainsaw sawdust from the vines would also be a precaution.
Their is a white berry flowered sumac bush that has the same type oil the type sumac with red berries is usually safe to people. (you can review such on-line.

AND the more often you get subjected to Poison Ivy it seems you do not build up and immunity to such, and actually catch it easier the next time..

Few years ago (as a safety precaution) their was a liquid that was given to employees to drink few days before they were going to be POSSIBLY subjected to the IVY. It was eventually found that it made some people more likely to break out from the Ivy and even taking the so called immune preventative caused some people to break out with blisters. The liquid preventative was removed from the market and safety kits.
I always declined use of any of the Poison Ivy preventatives because I knew I was already immune.

I can climb trees with the Poison Ivy and Oak and it does not bother me, but I do not push my luck, I avoid it as much as possible, some people (that I know) can just look at it and break out. Chainsaw sawdust from the vines would also be a precaution.
Their is a white berry flowered sumac bush that has the same type oil the type sumac with red berries is usually safe to people. (you can review such on-line.
It's hit and miss if or how allergic you are to it. I used to get it real bad as a kid, but i haven't gotten it bad in years. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm working in a tree with it or pulling it off. I always assumed i built up some sort of immunity to it from being in it so often.

I was way more allergic as a kid but last hurricane season I ended up cutting 2 trees that fell on my neighbors car, that I never would have touched otherwise. Did everything afterwards to avoid getting it and broke out with probably the 2nd worse case I’ve ever had. Was prescribed steroids and everything.

Back