Poison ivy on a load of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bucked all the wood yesterday and looks like only that one had it on it. I ended up picking it up with the backhoe on the tractor and mashing it in a small pile of debris and then covered it up. Then I kinda worked the bucket in the dirt a bit to at least in my mind clean the bucket off haha. I get the stuff too bad to wanna mess with it. I can’t take prednisone anymore either so I just gotta deal with it if I get it bad.
thankfully it doesn't bother me, I have cut plenty of trees with the vines on trees and cut threw them, when the vines were green too. I don't know how true it is, but I think it works, I heard if you eat a bunch of cashews, you build up an immunity to poison ivy, I love cashews and ate them like pop rocks as a kid and into my teen years. Anybody else hear of this?

It seems plausible. Cashews do have tiny amounts of urushiol. The seed's shell has much higher amounts, though. That probably isn't much different than the regular consumption of the rhus-tox pills.

Here's one you might not suspect: mangoes have significant amounts of urushiol in them, too. I got curious, and did a search. Found a nice little list of plants with urushiol in them.

• Mangoes
  • Cashews
  • Pistachios
  • Ginkgo nuts
  • Indian marking nut (used in some traditional foods)
  • Anacardiaceae family fruits (related to poison ivy/oak)
  • Brazilian pepper (used as a spice in some cuisines)
  • Japanese lacquer tree (used in some traditional foods and lacquerware)

We have poison ivy oak and sumac, northeast USA.

Buy me some gloves, pay shipping, and I'll send you some sprouts.

Yes, I had the wrong coast selected for the p. sumac. I wonder if it is legal to ship those plants? You would think that some dedicated government worker would have dropped those into a category of plant that should not be transported anywhere by parcel post.

What do you mean, We have Poison Sumac right here in NJ.

I had the wrong coast in my memory. I didn't do research to check my recollections.
Hence, error has occurred. BAD me!

REMINDS ME OF WHEN SISTER BOUGHT A PROPERTY, WALKING WITH HER, she is high-stepping off trail, and I said "what are you doing?" "Avoiding the poison ivy on the trail" she said... and I advised, "NO you are walking thru the poison ivy, the 5 leaves on trail are non-poisonous Virginia Creeper"

REMINDS ME OF WHEN SISTER BOUGHT A PROPERTY, WALKING WITH HER, she is high-stepping off trail, and I said "what are you doing?" "Avoiding the poison ivy on the trail" she said... and I advised, "NO you are walking thru the poison ivy, the 5 leaves on trail are non-poisonous Virginia Creeper"
Ivy can and usually does hide in Creeper, so keep a SHARP eye out for that.

I will share this information about mangos. I just recently learned my sister is ‘allergic’ to mangos. Skin lotion with mango in it causes rash, itching and other symptoms. She declined to try the hibiscus-mango smoothie. I turned it down because my chemo makes me sensitive to cold.

Poison ivy & virginia creeper are enemies! They just happen to grow in the same ecological niche: shady areas and growing up trees & buildings.

Myself, I think Virginia creeper wins in the long run, as I seldom see a poison ivy growing over the top of a big, robust virginia creeper. The poison ivy sure seems to grow a lot faster, though.

Back in the day when I was surveyor party chief I went to Mount Airy N.C. to work there for a week or so. It was summer and I was cutting line, locating corners going up on a steep hill w my machete. I was in a thicket and I reached out to cut a "sapling" about 8-12 high and cut it, then I reached for another one just past the first and I slipped and stabbed my forearm on last one I cut. It let it bleed and squeezed blood out for few mins.. I worked for while and it was time to go back to motel. I took a shower and noticed some small black dots around the wound and on my forearms. I could not scrub them off, I thought it was weird. Got dinner and came back to motel and I had rashes around the dots on that arm and they were itching. Had a few beers and 30 mins. and now I had rashes popping up all over my body and they itched bad. Went to ER and saw the doc. Told him what happened w the "sapling" and he new it was Poison Sumac that I stuck in my arm. Gave me steroid shot and gave me 5 day pack and we went back to the motel. I was tired from working hard but I could not sleep all night, itching bad all of my body, my scalp, bottom of my feet, my palms itched so bad I could not sleep. It was friday morning and the job needed 3 or 4 days and I was useless so my coworker drove us back to Clayton. It took me 3 or 4 days before I could come back to work. I'd seen the Sumac down here in the piedmont a few times but it was 3-4 foot high bush and I never knew it could grow 10' or more. I've been out of that job for 18 yrs. I miss it but can't take the heat in the summer :(

Back in the day when I was surveyor party chief I went to Mount Airy N.C. to work there for a week. It was summer and I was cutting line, locating corners going up on a steep hill w my machete. I was in a thicket and I reached out to cut a "sapling" and cut it, then I reached for another one just past the first and I slipped and stabbed my forearm on last one. It let it bleed and squeezed it. Worked for while more and was time to go back to motel. I took a shower and noticed some small black dots around the wound and and the back of my hands. I could not scrub them off, I thought it was weird. Got dinner and came back motel and I had rashes around the dots on that arm and they were itching. Had a few beers and 30 mins. and now I had rashes popping up all over my body and they itched bad. Went to ER and saw the doc. Told him what happened w the "sapling" and he new it was Poison Sumac that I stuck in my arm. Gave me steroid shot and gave me 5 day pack and we went back the motel. I was tired from working hard but I could not sleep all night, itching all of my body, My scalp, bottom of my feet, my palms, itched so bad I could not sleep. It was friday morning and the job needed 3 or 4 days and I was useless so my coworker drove us back to Clayton. It took me 3 or 4 days before I could come back to work. I'd seen the Sumac down here in the piedmont a few times but it was 3-4 foot high bush and I never knew it could grow 10' or more. I've been out of that job for 18 yrs. I miss it but can't take the heat in the summer /:(
Nasty stuff huh! I bet you keep an eye for that now huh?

I dont have reactions to most posionous plants in my area. One day I might get it bad and blow up like a speckeled blow fish, but to date it hasnt happened. I seldom wear gloves and I will pull posion ivy vine out of trees and off logs with bare hands. I recently found a product that seems to work well for rashes. I have to take infusions every 3 weeks and it makes me itch like crazy. I was at the Cherokee Indian Museum a while back and my wife noticed a small bottle of Sage and Pine lotion. Her thoughts where that it might help with my itching problem so we bought a bottle. I can say without a bit of doubt, the lotion stopped the itching almost immediantly. She checked the lable and found where its made and ordered me a big bottle, and they even sell it in a soap. The product name is Sage Pine Lotion, made by Bison Star Naturals, Taos, New Mexico. Now I dont know if this will work for the itchin from posion ivy, or sumac, but it does seem to help with bug bites. Also at the local health food store we found a bar of pine tar soap for about half the price of the sage pine soap. I am using it now in the shower. It also seems to work. One other thing a person can try is just plain old pepcid. This was recomended to me by the doctor at the cancer center. I know pepcid is a antacid, but I guess it works like ivermectin off lable. I tried it for a while, and it worked so-so, but I just use the pine lotion and pinetar soap now.

Since it is true confessions about our toxic plant exposures, I gotta confess I did come down with a poison ivy itch a couple of times. No rashes though.

I string trimmed a PI vine once wearing shorts. It was the biggest, burliest poison ivy vine I've ever seen, climbing about 60 feet up a brick warehouse. My legs were literally green with all the splattered juice, but I was unconcerned. After all, I don't catch the stuff, right?

Well... The next day my legs began to itch like crazy. For about a week. I would probably have not had any reaction except that I never did anything special to wash it off, either.
I had no bumps, no rash, but I can sympathize a little bit with the guys that catch it severely.

I only ran into it once literally. It's pretty rare where I live. It itched and burned some. I carry calamine and witch hazel in my bug bag and used it on it. I though at first in was some unknown insect or centipede, the I noticed the leaf and remember the saying in boy scouts "if it has 3"

Latest posts

Back