Poison ivy on a load of logs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've cut trees with poison ivy before and what I do is cut them to firewood length and then pull off the vines as I split it on the log splitter. Wearing gloves of course. When you do the cutting don't touch the vine and get the oil on your gloves and then onto your chainsaw. Be extra careful. I am susceptible to getting poison ivy. When the chunk is split to firewood the bark and vines usually fall off easily especially if the wood has aged some first. An ax is a good tool for knocking off vines and bark, too. I take no extra precautions with the discarded vines other than pitchforking them into the woods.

Sometimes when gardening in the yard I will pull a few vines bare handed. I right away wash my hands off using Dawn dish liquid that we keep a bottle of outside near the spigot.

I'd never let a few poison ivy vines keep me from good usable firewood.

Wow, lots of opinions. Things should be simpler. It's an oil, wash with something that can break down oil. I also took someone else's advice and carry fast orange wipes in my truck. I generally don't take prednisone. I have a prescription for TRIAMCINOLONE, which works great. It's a cream that you simply rub on. Don't touch poison ivy, wash everything that does. I don't throw my gloves away, clean them and go on. There are lots of myths about how it spreads, but it simply is what it touches......but burning it is another animal.

Shea
This is why I keep suggesting rubbing alcohol. Works better than any poison ivy product I've tried in over 40 years.

I've killed off about 1500 sq/ft of Poison Oak so far. I have about 3000 more to go it seems. Round Up for Poison Oak works great.

Regarding the burning of it, I get training from Cal Fire and they don't seem too bothered by it burning. As one Captain put it, the chemicals change as it burns. Maybe partially burnt Poison Oak is a problem? Maybe Poison Ivy and Poison Oak are different in that regard? In any event, thousands of acres of Poison Oak burn every year in CA and I just don't hear anything about people breathing the smoke and getting it in their lungs.

I simply pull it off the trunk and toss it into the woods to let it rot, I cut logs into firewood length sections to sit for a month or two so the bark peels off as it is split. The bark is tossed around the splitting area until foot traffic breaks it up then it is shoveled into a wheel barrow to fill in yard dips/holes or simply burned.

We usually just scratch it off the logs with the teeth on an excavator bucket before it even gets loaded. Sucks someone brought it to you covered up. I just scratch it off and throw it aside to dry out, and wear gloves and long sleeves if cutting around it. Hand wash up to the elbows with dawn and usually everything is good.

Show us a picture of the tree or vine? (need more pictures)

Some trees in my neck of the woods have 3 leaves but they are attached to a limb, not a vine. Seems to think the trees with 3 leaves might be Ash and Box elder.

Speaking of some sumac (the white berry type) causing symptom in some people like PI
I've picked and chewed on the red berry sumac while Quail hunting. Just chew the seeds for the flavor then spit them out. They have a strange taste when the pods are full red ripe.
Quails and birds eat them also.

Poison sumac is only found on the west EAST coast, I believe. (corrected now!)

Those tangy sumac berries are a very popular middle eastern spice. The local "Lebanese" restaurant keeps it in shakers on the tables.
I put Lebanese in quotes because they are actually Palestinian. They just don't want their customers to fear getting bombed. Palestinians aren't generally well thought of in the USA.

Poison sumac is only found on the west coast, I believe.

Those tangy sumac berries are a very popular middle eastern spice. The local "Lebanese" restaurant keeps it in shakers on the tables.
I put Lebanese in quotes because they are actually Palestinian. They just don't want their customers to fear getting bombed. Palestinians aren't generally well thought of in the USA.
I have seen it right here in NJ I dont think its on the west coast .
https://www.plantmaps.com/nrm-toxicodendron-vernix-poison-sumac-native-range-map

As a kid we had a male black lab that easily jumped over the 6 foot redwood fence. He'd head out across the street and up into poison oak, then be home by the time we got back from school. One mis-timed wrestling match and I'd have it all over my face. More than once I woke up with both eyes swollen shut.

Another story. I superintendent for the construction company I used to work for (at six bucks an hour) was a boy scouts leader. Hmm, he had girls? Anyway, they did a yearly canoe trip down the Sacramento River. One time a guy from back East came out and went along. No one noticed he had picked a stem and was CHEWING on it. Yep, Oakness. Apparently he was not well for a few days after that one.

https://www.plantmaps.com/nrm-toxicodendron-vernix-poison-sumac-native-range-map

Nah. Not here. We do have Jimson Weed though. I smoked it once, after drinking most of a twelver of Coors. The next morning my mom asked me what I was on last night. I said nothing, why. She said your father found you in your brother's closet and you said you were looking for the bathroom... Beer, mom. Lots of beer lol...

Jimson weed grew natively less than 100 yards from my high school, and about 200 yards from my folks' house.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6220643/

Nah. Not here. We do have Jimson Weed though. I smoked it once, after drinking most of a twelver of Coors. The next morning my mom asked me what I was on last night. I said nothing, why. She said your father found you in your brother's closet and you said you were looking for the bathroom... Beer, mom. Lots of beer lol...

Jimson weed grew natively less than 100 yards from my high school, and about 200 yards from my folks' house.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6220643/
I think thatsa here too.

Maybe I was confusing that with the western poison oak. It seems likely, after reviewing your splendid map.

Speaking of poison oak: You might be amazed how many of my employees have argued with me about the cause of their rash & blisters. It seems that the local doctors are fond of telling them they have a poison oak rash, and that serves for them as good an ID as a plant taxonomist. We have absolutely no poison oak in this part of the state.

It just irritates me how putting a "Dr." in front of your name makes you an expert at everything in this world, despite a complete lack of training in some subjects that they make pronouncements on.

That is just ignorant. Really, really stupid.
1. The vines are already cut, and will not regrow. At all.
2. Kerosene won't do anything but preserve the vine from drying out. It will also increase the probability of spreading the urushiol by any casual contact with the vines. Urushiol is an oil, and kerosene will dissolve the oil in the plant and act as a carrier of the antigenic oil to anything that rubs against the vine.
3. As has been mentioned previously, burning the vines is hazardous to the health of someone allergic. Soaking in kerosene won't do anything to mitigate that risk. If you can wait for the log to dry out enough for the bark to fall off, it should be easy after a year or two to use a tool to pry off the bark and then throw it into a compost pile, or even burn it. Make SURE you throw the vine covered bark on a healthy fire, and then leave before you get exposed to any smoke from the vines. Upwind with gloves, hold your breath, and you'll be fine.
4. The vines are attached very firmly to the bark of a tree, especially the big vines at the base of the tree. If you are highly allergic, attempting to pull the vines off with pliers of some sort would be futile and very risky.
5. No one has mentioned being watchful for the seeds germinating. Anywhere that mature seeds have dropped, you should consider treating with a pre-emergent herbicide, or remaining watchful in the future and spraying emerging vines with a brush killer.

I have a suggestion for you highly allergic guys. Purchase a homeopathic product called Rhus-tox. These are little more than sugar pills with a minute quantity of the antigen that causes the rash. By swallowing very low doses on a daily basis, you can become immune to the poison ivy (or other plants that contain urusiol, including mangoes). It is available in a variety of concentrations. I recommend starting out with the weak stuff, and getting stronger with time.

The advertising for the Rhus-tox won't mention it as a treatment for poison ivy allergy abatement. That would be a medical treatment, for which it is not FDA approved. But it does work that way for a lot of people. Over the years, I have gotten quite a few of my guys so that they have only minor or no reaction to working in the vines.

Myself, I've always been immune. I did string trim a giant vine once while wearing shorts. My bare legs were completely green with the juices off the vine. I worked a whole day, and washed it off at the end of the day. I wasn't worried, 'cause I'm immune, right? I never got a rash, but legs itched like hell for a week.
Sounds like someone has allergies, and products. Once the vine is dead, a good fire out in the back 40, and its gone. kerosene helps to kill the remaining growth, and stoke the fire for burning. Of course, this is all predicated on the fact that the original post referred to property. My closest neighbour is outside any smoke plume laden with urine oil.....

Back