Poll: How many of you use hardcases for your chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use hardcases when storing or transporting your chainsaws?

• Yes

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 72.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've only recently started using a scabbard, and I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

Case, no. I could see using one in certain situations, but it'd be to protect whatever vehicle is carrying the saw, not protect the saw. Keep bar oil out of a car trunk or something like that.
Definitely something to not getting oil on your vehicle floor. The ones I have act like an oil pan and catch the mess they make after cutting.

I don’t have any hard cases for my saws - I can store more of them with my limited shelf space without the case. I do have scabbards for transport, and a frame that I built to keep them from sliding around the bed during transport to cut firewood or jobs. You can’t really fit most of mine in a hard case anyway. Got a few in the <60cc class, but most of them are larger.

Protects the saw. Protects the storage area (basement, garage, etc.). Protects the vehicle (normally not transporting in a ‘work truck’). Lets me keep small parts (spare chains, bar nuts, spark plug, filters, spare scrench, etc.) with the right saw.

I have made / modified several cases.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/carry-case-for-a-large-saw.202923/
Philbert

I picked up a roll of old fire hose just for this purpose. Worked out to be cheaper than a regular plastic scabbard, and much more durable.

I received a piece of fire hose from a member here, but found that it was damp inside. Was afraid of rust on the bar and chain, so I “re-gifted it“ at a GTG.

I like the lightweight, inexpensive, plastic scabbards.

Philbert

Wish, no hard case I know of for rap handles
If you visit the link I posted, above, you will see several modified cases. Heat guns, utility knife, Pop rivets, spray foam, etc., make it easy to modify ’Power Box’ type cases, beverage coolers, Rubbermaid totes, etc.

Philbert

I don’t. Not because I don’t like them, but once you have over 10 or so saws, cases take up valuable space. With around 50 or so it’s not possible. That said, I like finding older saws with cases. It certainly keeps them clean and protected. I have 2 saws with cases, my 044 came with one and my Dolmar 540. I have kept those since while both saws work often they are in very good shape with the original paperwork, receipts etc. I keep them to keep the saws “complete”. Also the mice like making homes in them. If your in a wooded suburb or the country that’s a problem. DF947770-2FC3-4FCA-BA69-7FBF8F9CCF86.jpeg46488B32-D506-4E4A-B3EF-456E66D9A162.jpegAE177C13-B155-40A4-B849-FE27E0A5D769.jpeg1228E0E5-BF64-4385-936B-73AB07E61B88.jpegD7629F70-18A5-4110-AAAB-8C48632264EE.jpeg

One saw lives in the case. The others don't fit or it wouldn't be practical to have more than three for me so I have three Stihl cases and the rest are all black craftsman or poulan older stuff that came as a set when new. My tool box is already packed and the short bed sometimes with milling going on. No bar cover for that. The big saws are just too big for individual cases. I'd need another room to stack saws in. Muddy recoveries and working in the rain gets two in cases with 20" bars. Those hours are expensive and I'd rather not.

Voted yes... am I fired? 😂

One saw lives in the case. The others don't fit or it wouldn't be practical to have more than three for me so I have three Stihl cases and the rest are all black craftsman or poulan older stuff that came as a set when new. My tool box is already packed and the short bed sometimes with milling going on. No bar cover for that. The big saws are just too big for individual cases. I'd need another room to stack saws in. Muddy recoveries and working in the rain gets two in cases with 20" bars. Those hours are expensive and I'd rather not.

Voted yes... am I fired? 😂
Not Yet Too much work to do:chop:!Be Safe and Stay Cool!

Latest posts

Back