Poplar split?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ck0461

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was milling some poplar, about 15” wide 2” thick and I had several split down the middle over 3/4 of the board. They spilt while I was milling, or 3-4min after. Any idea if it was a damage from felling or just the way the tree was tensioned while growing? It wasn’t checked and didn’t have visible damage before sinking the saw in.

Attachments

• 1386C5A7-5196-49DD-85D6-8226D93F9CC5.jpeg
    1386C5A7-5196-49DD-85D6-8226D93F9CC5.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 14
Not a big deal since it split straight. I’ll find a project for the 2x6’s at some point.

What do you use poplar for? I've got a bunch of barrels stacked up that I've been putting off milling as I don't know what it's good for

Poplar’s good for a lot of things. I use it for small projects like bird feeders/houses, cabinets, and done some trim work. I’ve got a bunch on my place and I’d rather cut and use it, so I can leave the feed trees.

Some guys like it for trailer decking.... heavy equipment trailers that is. Mind you we don’t have much to choose from up here.

It rots quick if left on the ground, so I’ve been hesitant to use it for decking. I believe you can find pressure treated poplar, but I’m not 100% sure.

Thanks guys. I noticed it didn't last well on the ground. I'd been thinking about getting it treated & turning it into fence rails. Might look into that further

Back