Pops but won’t run

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vquinoveva

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Need a little help, 066 pops a few times then dies, won’t run. changed fuel, new air filter, fuel filter only has less than an hour on it, new spark plug, swapped carbs, checked timing, changed coil with another I had laying around, doesn’t matter if I have one or both needles turned from 1/2-1.5 turns. It ran fine just a couple weeks ago… running out of ideas. ran fine a couple weeks ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need a little help, 066 pops a few times then dies, won’t run. changed fuel, new air filter, fuel filter only has less than an hour on it, new spark plug, swapped carbs, checked timing, changed coil with another I had laying around, doesn’t matter if I have one or both needles turned from 1/2-1.5 turns. It ran fine just a couple weeks ago… running out of ideas. ran fine a couple weeks ago

Pull the muffler and have a look.

i usually shut the needles off (or empty the fuel system) and then run it from a drop of fuel on the air filter with random flooding problems
it gives you more control of the fueling , if it fires up for a few secs then dies then its more apparent

If it is to flooding check the metering diaphragm for holes and the metering lever that it is set properly.

I’ll check it but I just rebuilt the carb and had it running a couple weeks ago and even swapped with a different carb and seems to be the same issue

If all else is "correct" as stated my first jump to conclusion would be an air leak.
But as others have said, pull the muffler and check the piston- report back with photographs.

"saw ran fine two weeks ago"- for how long did it run?
"just built the saw less than a month ago" - was it an OEM, or AM build? What was replaced and what was not?

If all else is "correct" as stated my first jump to conclusion would be an air leak.
But as others have said, pull the muffler and check the piston- report back with photographs.

"saw ran fine two weeks ago"- for how long did it run?
"just built the saw less than a month ago" - was it an OEM, or AM build? What was replaced and what was not?

I’m at work but leaving soon, saw has maybe 30 min run time total, I’ll peel it apart and report back later today

I’m at work but leaving soon, saw has maybe 30 min run time total, I’ll peel it apart and report back later today

30 minutes is not much - but it is enough to cause some pretty serious damage if anything was causing a lean condition.

30 minutes is not much - but it is enough to cause some pretty serious damage if anything was causing a lean condition.

Well my dumb ass didn’t physically remove the flywheel when checking the time and check the key….. sheared key…. Thanks all for the responses. Fortunately almost no carnage

Well my dumb ass didn’t physically remove the flywheel when checking the time and check the key….. sheared key…. Thanks all for the responses. Fortunately almost no carnage

Hahaha I literally just had the same issue on a 372xp today. Checked lines, fuel for water, carb, then finally the fly wheel… it had play so I knew the key had wiggle… had a spare from an old saw swapped that still would only pop… was the ignition coil… which I replaced last July…. Wtf husqvarna an ignition coil only lasting 11 months!

this is why I’m looking to get into stihl saws, I have such a sour taste in my mouth from husqvarna oem parts the last 5 years.

Hahaha I literally just had the same issue on a 372xp today. Checked lines, fuel for water, carb, then finally the fly wheel… it had play so I knew the key had wiggle… had a spare from an old saw swapped that still would only pop… was the ignition coil… which I replaced last July…. Wtf husqvarna an ignition coil only lasting 11 months!

this is why I’m looking to get into stihl saws, I have such a sour taste in my mouth from husqvarna oem parts the last 5 years.

Funny thing is I’m the opposite, I hate stihl and swore my 066 and 036 are the only two I’m ever gonna have

Funny thing is I’m the opposite, I hate stihl and swore my 066 and 036 are the only two I’m ever gonna have

At the very least if you like to and have the time, it’s way easier to buy husky replacement parts to stock up on. I was hoping husky would answer back with fuel injection by now.

the 562xp is being killed by the ms400 in power to weight now too. Now that I’m getting older it matters.

Back