Popular tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided to remove six of them. Two very old poplar and four Sweetgums. One Poplar that I didn't know about was hollow at the base. I could stick a golf club inside the base of tree a long way. It was just too close to my house. They should finish today.

Attachments

• IMG_1329.MOV
    37.8 MB
That makes me feel much better, for now :)
I would weigh the advantages of cutting down the tree with the benefits.
Does your House Insurance provide enough coverage to repair your house if the tree falls on the house.
Call your house insurance agent and ask if your covered.
The only knowledge I have about the viability of a tree is to look at it with leaves on it and determine how much of the branches are dead . The rule of thumb is one third dead branches the Tree is dead or dying..
Widow makers are not good trees .
Dangerous

Does your House Insurance provide enough coverage to repair your house if the tree falls on the house.
The only knowledge I have about the viability of a tree is to look at it with leaves on it and determine how much of the branches are dead . The rule of thumb is one third dead branches the Tree is dead or dying..
Dangerous
Not sure how much the insurance would pay if one of these trees hit my house. The problem around my area is getting someone to repair the house if that happened. No worry on that now. They are gone :)

Dangerous
This poplar tree had a large hole in it at base. This was the tree that was very close to the house. I think I made the right decision to get it removed. Second picture is looking inside of it . Wouldn't have took much to have blown it down. This was a massive tree which measured 48 inches at stump and was 120 foot tall. No worry now, its down and gone .

Attachments

• Big hole in Poplar tree.JPG
    Big hole in Poplar tree.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Hole in tree.jpg
    Hole in tree.jpg
    389.8 KB · Views: 0
I just took down a cottonwood of similar dimensions. Had a crane / grapple saw outfit put it on the ground for $450 and did the cleanup my self. You can value your own time better than I can. I saved $1000-$1200. Hauled the branches and crown to the local recycling center for cost of gas and my time and I cut everything else to firewood lengths and listed on Facebook market place. People come out of the woodwork for free firewood if it’s cut to length and ripped into manageable pieces.

Mine was leaning toward the house. It’s the last of 4 trees threatening the homestead. The satisfaction of knowing everything that can be done regarding trees and tree safety for your home has value too.

Now the question is what is the best way to get rid of these ugly stumps ? We are glad we had these trees removed even though I didn't originally plan to remove this many. I guess I got carried away. These were very large trees and all over 100 foot tall.

Attachments

• Stumps in backyard .jpg
    Stumps in backyard .jpg
    922.9 KB · Views: 0
Call your local stump grinder.
There is nobody around this area that does this as far as I know. If I don't find anyone I can rent a stump grinder as there is a rental place close to my home. It would probably be cheaper just to hire it done by a pro. I will see if I can find someone local I trust.

My neck of the woods is saturated with guys that only do stumps. Usually it’ll be a guy that retired from somewhere local and wants to still make a little cash and stay busy, so they buy a little 25hp stump grinder, or a miniskid with a stump attachment and start knocking on doors and cutting each other’s throats lol. The prices are pretty great.

I'd start with the gentleman that cut your tree down. Surely he must know someone, or at a minimum know who to stay away from 😁

My neck of the woods is saturated with guys that only do stumps. Usually it’ll be a guy that retired from somewhere local and wants to still make a little cash and stay busy, so they buy a little 25hp stump grinder, or a miniskid with a stump attachment and start knocking on doors and cutting each other’s throats lol. The prices are pretty great.
We need some cut throats here lol We got a few Rednecks :)

Update. I just watched a youtube video of one of these things running. I think I will either just leave the stumps or hire someone.

Running a little stump grinder is slow, but relatively easy work. Most rental companies have them readily available. Last one I rented was a Toro based on the mini skid steer platform. I liked everything about it save it was gas powered and lacked the power to make fast cuts. They won't rent diesel powered grinders as they said they had a lot of issues with customers putting gas in them. Can't blame them really.

If you have time on your hands, Epsom salt and a big drill bit will expedite the stump rotting. We took 6 tulip poplars down right after we moved into our place. I couldn't get a grinder into one of the stumps and a friend suggested the drilling holes and Epsom salt trick. Took a few years, but the stump eventually rotted down below grade.

Back