Porcupine damage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen porcupine damage in the north woods, but never seen one top to bottom like that. Damn! I hate those rodents. You'll have one of the finest sugar maples (or other species) until one of those toothy SOBs chews its bark to bits. I've climbed trees with a club in hand to kill one (only once successfully). I've shot them and chased them down. Went to camp one time and found one ambling along in the drive and gunned the pickup (my wife was protesting) and squashed that SOB dead.

Did I mention that I don't like porcupines?

One time in the 1970s I brought home one I'd killed. We ate a lot of wild meat (squirrel, coon, beaver, etc.). My wife cooked up "sweet & sour porkypine"--we still laugh about that. It was a fine meal.

Haha ... missed that part !
I was thinking you were asking what others thought .
Ernie
All good bud.
I've seen porcupine damage in the north woods, but never seen one top to bottom like that. Damn! I hate those rodents. You'll have one of the finest sugar maples (or other species) until one of those toothy SOBs chews its bark to bits. I've climbed trees with a club in hand to kill one (only once successfully). I've shot them and chased them down. Went to camp one time and found one ambling along in the drive and gunned the pickup (my was protesting) and squashed that SOB dead.

Did I mention that I don't like porcupines?

One time in the 1970s I brought home one I'd killed. We ate a lot of wild meat (squirrel, coon, beaver, etc.). My wife cooked up "sweet & sour porkypine"--we still laugh about that. It was a fine meal.
I never seen a tree so chewed up either. I hate them almost as much as you! No closed season on them little bastids in Maine. I've only seen one other on my land while out bird hunting. Needless to say he didn't get a chance to eat my house. I've never eaten one but have heard they're decent.

I had to staple chicken wire to the entire underside of my camp, because a porky was chewing the plywood floor. Something about the glue in plywood (I've been told) attracts them. If one gets into a structure, the entire animal kingdom follows, and you have little hope.

A friend who has some outstanding woods near my camp spends a good bit of time patrolling his woods with a .22 when the leaves are off in winter, shooting porcupines. This particular part of northern NY is rocky, and you find porcupine dens with their distinctive droppings in the rocks.

Back in the day, they used to say that you shouldn't kill porcupines and should leave them as survival food for anyone lost in the woods since they're relatively easy to chase down on the ground. F- that, I've always killed every one I could. Yeah, they're tasty.

Back