Porta wrap (large) 3/4 kraken

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If cant get access to use crane, or too expensive, cut smaller but use eyescrews in the pieces so not relying on loops of rigging rope to secure the piece, and decrease the drop distance. Extra time to install screws, and remove screws. The time factor may cost more than the crane.

Can't give you any advice on your tree but I will say it sounds like you are completely aware of the difficulties and will find a safe way through. Jobs like this give you a confidence base for the rest of your life and you will never be intimidated again. It's to bad you had to get here to find out you didn't really have a partner but that was an equally valuable lesson and no one got hurt. I would eat whatever the crane overage is and move on with a safe job and some hard won lessons, they are invaluable. Happy Thanksgiving

Watch this one to get some ideas of using a crane and dual slings effectively.
Don't get put off by the opening ~10 min.

Ash Removal in Wisconsin!​

Do careful calculations of what each piece is going to weigh.....

Nobody has mentioned this and it will require you to swallow your pride to some extent but what does the contract you have with the tree owner say if you back out of it? If you pay him any money he's paid you and give notice that because of personnel problems you are no longer able to fulfill the contract, is there any discussion of an additional penalty to be paid? As much concern as you've expressed indicates a job beyond your current abilities and one that could hurt you and damage other properties that would cost you money in excess of what a nominal penalty would. Does your insurance ( you do have insurance?) cover the eventuality of being undermanned and unable to complete your obligation? Talk to your insurance company.
Being pushed into something dangerous is something you'll need to be able to recognize and resist.
Nothing is beyond my abilities. Its a stem now crane coming thursday 70 ton.
Yhats the difference between me and most people. If it meant backing down from a deal I had made, I would go in knowing ahead of time knowing I would die and still do my best.

Got a small amount of drone footage.
Tree was a pain.
I had 10 different amateurs on site at different times. I'm talking no knowledge... spent more time teaching from 80' then cutting tree.
Gf was running porta wrap most of the time and she rocked it.

It would have been grand but for the newbs. They did their best I just got so frustrated I about had a stroke. Didn't have time to train a crew.
Whipped it tho.

If cant get access to use crane, or too expensive, cut smaller but use eyescrews in the pieces so not relying on loops of rigging rope to secure the piece, and decrease the drop distance. Extra time to install screws, and remove screws. The time factor may cost more than the crane.
Great idea

Can't give you any advice on your tree but I will say it sounds like you are completely aware of the difficulties and will find a safe way through. Jobs like this give you a confidence base for the rest of your life and you will never be intimidated again. It's to bad you had to get here to find out you didn't really have a partner but that was an equally valuable lesson and no one got hurt. I would eat whatever the crane overage is and move on with a safe job and some hard won lessons, they are invaluable. Happy Thanksgiving
Hope your thanksgiving was good. I must say this was a challenge I wont find again in the state of Missouri. I do have a confidence from it but I had already proven all I needed to myself.
This was very near to the state record easter cottonwood. The state record was less than 1/4 mile away. Something about the ground there is perfect for them. Lots of giants there. State record really had not much on this in total mass because of measurement standards and this one was over a commercial building and overpass.

I had a good crowd. Normal trees here arent gonna spook me. I learned a lot. Like how dam heavy 100' of 3/4 kraken is after a few hours. Its been an adventure. Video eventually

Someone was sneaking photos that knew someone who knew me. They got the best shot but the drone footage is way cooler

Latest posts

Back