Portable winch to pull slabs uphill?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Door, do you know if there are any electric winches that can do a long continuous pull without risk of burning up?
It's looking to me like for pulling any wood or other object more than 50' or so, especially one object after another, you are recommended to go with a gas powered winch. Or a mule.

It’s all about how hard the winch is working. If you were to run a snatch block it wouldn’t be working as hard but it would be slower. If the winch is not working hard it will pull for a longer period of time before it heats up.
Your hand is a good temp sensor when using an electric winch. When a winch is pulling big amps like you see in that chart it heats up quick.
I’ve seen inexpensive 4500# harbor freight type winches go pretty cheap. You might even be able to find a Craig’s list special if it is only for this job.

When we 4 wheeled, worm drive winches, and pto winches were the go to. Nowadays you can darn near run one all day, if you spend the cash for a continuous duty model. They arnt cheap. You may be just as well making something up yourself.

The Warn 8274 winch has the fastest line speed. But line speed is a factor of load so that would depend on the slab weight. And again the line speed is bases on a single wrap on the drum. Below is for the 8274 and remember any other winch will be slower with the same load since this is the fastest winch.

Line Speed and Load 8274.png

I made this out of necessity to haul a 610lb 5 ton inverter driven air conditioning unit to a roof top 68 feet in the air (yes I used a capture device & safety backups) .. 2500 lb tractor supply winch & a small amazon special deep cycle battery made for a power wheels kids car. ~$150 all in 4 years ago & still working perfectly.
I can use jumpers & run it from my truck battery as well.
I keep finding uses for it:)
I used it to change a axel in a polaris ranger, load logs, pull multiple cars onto a trailer, hoist my 830lb miller deisel welder into my truck, pull my porch back together after a storm, un stuck my VW jetta after a snowstorm... ect.

I made this out of necessity to haul a 610lb 5 ton inverter driven air conditioning unit to a roof top 68 feet in the air (yes I used a capture device & safety backups) .. 2500 lb tractor supply winch & a small amazon special deep cycle battery made for a power wheels kids car. ~$150 all in 4 years ago & still working perfectly.
I can use jumpers & run it from my truck battery as well.
I keep finding uses for it:)
I used it to change a axel in a polaris ranger, load logs, pull multiple cars onto a trailer, hoist my 830lb miller deisel welder into my truck, pull my porch back together after a storm, un stuck my VW jetta after a snowstorm... ect.
It might help the OP if you posted a picture of the rig you put together (I'd like to see it too!)

Hmmm, I thought I did... give me a sec & I'll see if I can find one. It's not pretty, but it works.

edit; here!!
It is not a current Picture.
this was right after the first job I did with it... my camera is MIA, but I have since added an aluminum cover, and cleaned up the rats nest wiring with better wire ties & made a different charger for it. I also added a jumper quick detach extension through the outer cover (to hook to a vehicle battery) but haven't used that yet.
I was using a battery tender trickle charger and it worked well, but I needed it for my motorcycle.
Currently using the charger for apowerwheels car the neighbor thew away.
The base is 3/16 plate steel that I got from a local welding supply & had bent.
I am not sure what alloy it is, but it's not mild plate.
It was a leftover from a project they did, and was quite a task to cut by comparison to mild steel.

Attachments

• 0F6F19FF-60BC-462D-9438-80A1C198B566.jpeg
    0F6F19FF-60BC-462D-9438-80A1C198B566.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18
Hmmm, I thought I did... give me a sec & I'll see if I can find one. It's not pretty, but it works.

edit; here!!
It is not a current Picture.
this was right after the first job I did with it... my camera is MIA, but I have since added an aluminum cover, and cleaned up the rats nest wiring with better wire ties & made a different charger for it. I also added a jumper quick detach extension through the outer cover (to hook to a vehicle battery) but haven't used that yet.
I was using a battery tender trickle charger and it worked well, but I needed it for my motorcycle.
Currently using the charger for apowerwheels car the neighbor thew away.
The base is 3/16 plate steel that I got from a local welding supply & had bent.
I am not sure what alloy it is, but it's not mild plate.
It was a leftover from a project they did, and was quite a task to cut by comparison to mild steel.
Well here is my hillbilly engineered skidder winch. Charge the batts the night before and it is good for 4 good long pulls. I usually cut my logs at 12-14 feet. It takes me a while to get the 4 logs out of the forest to a place where I can slab them, so it is just OK with me that I can only do 4 at a time. I am just about to take this rig off of my tractor so no cables or remote are hooked up. If I get a log stuck I use a snatch block to cut the load in half and/or move the tractor to get a different angle. Hope this helps with some ideas for the OP.

Skidder Winchin'.jpg

Nice!!
I have a 9500lb hitch mounted winch as well, but it doesn't get used as often.
Normally if I use the hitch winch it's because the truck is stuck, or in a bad spot to pull from.
Most often 4lo & good tires makes for quick work of pulling logs:)
I have on occasion pulled stuff by removing the battery & receiver winch from the truck, and using a strap around a tree to the winch platform & jumpers to the removed battery I can pull things from where I don't dare drive the truck.
Just have to keep the truck running when I pull the battery for the winch, as it's always dead when I'm done.

Plenty of bear have been recovered via the jetsled and a 2500 HF wench. I plan on using the same setup to recovery slabs.

Back