Ported 346xp issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kctree

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a 346xp ported by rattler that I bought about 1 year ago from an unnamed seller on here. It supposedly ran excellent and came with a sugihara bar. It arrived with a chinese knockoff laser bar, and didn't run worth a hoot. I took to my saw shop and he did some work on it, if I remember right he put a coil on it and maybe a new muffler, not sure what else. Still did not run well. It's been in the back of our bucket truck storage compartment all year, not coming out for any work at all. I got it out today as I'm sharpening and cleaning up the saws, just to see what it's doing. It fired up fairly quick for not running since last spring. It runs, idles fine, has good throttle response, but it blubbers/4strokes well under what I would think would be towards the high end of rpms. I revved up a couple other 50cc saws a bit to see what they sounded like, and yeah the 346 is 4stroking well too soon. Any advice as to what to do next? Is the carb just not adjusted properly? I messed with the high screw just a bit, if I richened it up it'd slow it down so it wouldn't blubber, but that would have it running slowly enough it wouldn't have squat for power, and if i leaned it out more it'd blubber even more prematurely. Is it possibly being starved of air or fuel? Thanks any and all in advance!

No I havent. I do not have a tach. The saw shop thought they had it tuned properly last time we got it back but it blubbered around in the cut 1st time we used it. I put it in the truck frustrated, and hadn't gotten it back out since. I gave $600 for the saw, and put another couple hundred in it right away. Was frustrated and ready to give up on it....😖

Don't assume I know anything on ported saws BUT when your saw guy put on a new coil-- is it an unlimited (?BLACK?) coil or a (?BLUE?) limited coil. I have read that a limited coil can mess with your imagination when tuning by ear. it may not be 4-stroking but instead be hitting max RPM.. Just a thought to "PONDER" upon.

I need to get a tach to put on it. But I'm pretty sure its 4stroking at a lower rpm than it should. I'll try putting it in wood again tomorrow. Last spring I'm fairly sure that it was blubbering in the cut.

Just an FYI your laser bar isn't a china knock off tsmura makes them.
What was wrong with the old muffler? I have a ported 346xp and have worked on quite a number of them. They don't tune real well with a stock muffler after they have been ported. The muffler needs opened up to help them breath better. Usually shoot for 70% of the area of the exhaust port, for muffler outlet size. (Give or take) good advice with the blue limited coils as well, they can be a real pain to tune.

I'm not sure why it needed a muffler I guess. But he did wonder if the muffler needed opened up since saw has been ported. He thought that may be an issue but he doesn't work with many ported saws. I plan to open saw up today and see what coil is in it. I know I have a spare black coil out of my 2159 johny, will that work to try if it's got the blue limited coil in it? Thanks for the info on the laser bar, that was just part of the story, it was advertised with a sugihara on the saw, it was worded in the listing to come with sugihara bar. Then shows up with not a sugihara bar. Shoulda been my 1st sign to send it back right away....I'd never ran a ported 346, and everyone on here talks how sweet they are so I had to try one. If I remember right what it did off the bat was run ok til it got hot then you could not get it to restart. I believe that's when saw shop put a new coil on. Cant remember why or when they put a new muffler on it. But the saw definitely did not run like a top with no issues, as the ad said lol. I'm not mad about it, its the risk ya take buying online from a random person on the other side of the country, just frustrated with the saw at this point.

Just an FYI your laser bar isn't a china knock off tsmura makes them.
What was wrong with the old muffler? I have a ported 346xp and have worked on quite a number of them. They don't tune real well with a stock muffler after they have been ported. The muffler needs opened up to help them breath better. Usually shoot for 70% of the area of the exhaust port, for muffler outlet size. (Give or take) good advice with the blue limited coils as well, they can be a real pain to tune.

I'm new to all of this. What do you mean by 70% of the area of the exhaust port? I remember guys porting heads on 350s to match the gaskets/ headers a long time ago.

I'm not sure why it needed a muffler I guess. But he did wonder if the muffler needed opened up since saw has been ported. He thought that may be an issue but he doesn't work with many ported saws. I plan to open saw up today and see what coil is in it. I know I have a spare black coil out of my 2159 johny, will that work to try if it's got the blue limited coil in it? Thanks for the info on the laser bar, that was just part of the story, it was advertised with a sugihara on the saw, it was worded in the listing to come with sugihara bar. Then shows up with not a sugihara bar. Shoulda been my 1st sign to send it back right away....I'd never ran a ported 346, and everyone on here talks how sweet they are so I had to try one. If I remember right what it did off the bat was run ok til it got hot then you could not get it to restart. I believe that's when saw shop put a new coil on. Cant remember why or when they put a new muffler on it. But the saw definitely did not run like a top with no issues, as the ad said lol. I'm not mad about it, its the risk ya take buying online from a random person on the other side of the country, just frustrated with the saw at this point.
Yeah they are sweet runners when running right. Yes a 2159 coil should swap without issue.

I'm new to all of this. What do you mean by 70% of the area of the exhaust port? I remember guys porting heads on 350s to match the gaskets/ headers a long time ago.
It's just a general rule of thumb for the outlet size of the muffler vs the exhaust port size. You can go bigger or smaller, but it will effect how the engine runs. Placement of the muffler outlet can also effect how the engine runs.

I just went through my receipts and found the invoice from when he put on the new muffler last spring. There is a note attached: "if this 346 is still not performing as it should, that new muffler may need another port added like your ported jonsered 2159 muffler. This saw had the muffler gasket 1/2 turned + across the exhaust port, restricting exhaust flow and muffler was warped around the misplaced gasket-therefore the new muffler.

I could not find a receipt for a coil, maybe he did not put 1 on after he found the muffler was warped and gasket misplaced, restricting exhaust flow and thought that fixed the issue. I did dig into saw. It has a black coil. But I am wondering if it is not the right 1....

Back