Ported 346xp issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I punched them #s into google with coil or husqvarna nxt to um, I cant find nothing out about this coil....

Heck I called and talked to rattler himself about it when I was having issues right off the get go. He was real friendly and as helpful as he could be. Not much he can do from a thousand miles away though. 20221201_084219.jpg

For all I know the seller found that top cover on a blown rattler saw and put it ontop of a stock saw he cobbled together and priced it $600 lol. I'd hope not but I wouldnt know what to look for on cylinder to know if it was ported or not!! Pretty much at the mercy of sellers honesty.

For all I know the seller found that top cover on a blown rattler saw and put it ontop of a stock saw he cobbled together and priced it $600 lol. I'd hope not but I wouldnt know what to look for on cylinder to know if it was ported or not!! Pretty much at the mercy of sellers honesty.

who is the seller? call him out on it

Heck I called and talked to rattler himself about it when I was having issues right off the get go. He was real friendly and as helpful as he could be. Not much he can do from a thousand miles away though.
If you can't resolve the saws issues here on AS (Or elsewhere) shipping the saw a 1,000 miles may well be your "BEST ANSWER"
Mercy of the "Sellers Honesty" is one point, But the seller may not be Mechanically Inclined As a tweaked Muffler/Gasket appears to indicate. If the saw got hot enough to warp a muffler - Could anything else be compromised?

Did/Can RATTLER Confirm he ported this saw? If Yes Was the previous owner(Seller) the person who paid/had the saw ported? The year this saw sat on a shelf goes against the odds of any reimbursement but to have Rattlers assessment of the saws internals should mean a lot for your peace of mind. Hopefully it will not get to pricey to have "RATTLER" make YOUR SAW one to be proud of owning and running.

Thanks for your input termite. Iv though of that also, see if rattler will look at it, box it up and send it to him. Iv had great luck with my other 2 ported saws. 1 I got straight from Carl miller, a 5105 dolmar, and the other a johny 2159 I believe ported by t4driller, I got from cuinrearview. Both have had for several yrs and been put to work hard and been great.

I’m certain the guy you bought it from is honest as the day is long. I’ve done many deals with him. If he said Rattler ported it, that’s what happened. Guessing that while taking pics of the piston for his sale, he mistakenly reinstalled the muffler with the gasket sideways.

I’m certain the guy you bought it from is honest as the day is long. I’ve done many deals with him. If he said Rattler ported it, that’s what happened. Guessing that while taking pics of the piston for his sale, he mistakenly reinstalled the muffler with the gasket sideways.
1 concern out of the way,, Now hopefully Rattler or some one will help you get to making chips with your saw.

Thanks fellas. Does any of you know if that coil I took pics of is correct for the saw?? Its definitely not OEM for sure. But I couldn't find that coil anywhere online....

That could be huskihl. There weren't any piston pics in the listing though. I don't know how long itd take to warp a muffler, I probably have 5 or 10min of run time on the saw total, honest. It was taken to the shop right away when I saw it had issues from the start. Idk if that's long enough or not to warp the muffler from misplaced gasket. He put the new muffler on and I tried it again. It came back tuned terribly bad by the shop, I took it back said they forgot to tune it. When I got it again it ran ok but still blubbered around in the cut and was pretty gutless, definitely not how it should be. So that's when i said piss on it and it's been in the back of the saw compartment in bucket truck ever since last spring....

I believe I will try calling rattler this evening and see if he would be willing to take a look at it if I send it to him. Unless one of you guys say that coil is definitely not right for the saw, then maybe I'll try an oem coil and have the saw shop open up the new muffler also...

They're close, and have done decent for us for several yrs. It is tough to find shops that are worth much at working on saws. Everyone likes to sell um, not many want to service them. I see the pioneer logo on your name. Pioneer corn was tough to beat this yr! We farm over here south of iowa city. You know anyone around this area good at working on saws?

Thank you huskihl, I really appreciate that. And heres an update....I removed that coil. And put the 1 on that I had laying on my workbench, that came off my 2159. Fired right up, I had to mess with all 3 jets some to get it fairly tuned in. But no more blubbering, it sounds good, great throttle response, idles nicely, I put it in some wood and she snorts like she should. I believe that did the trick. And now my memory became clear of more to the story once I took that coil off...on the underside I saw that it is a stens 600-600 coil which after hearing stens, I'm pretty sure i remember putting that on there myself 🙄. When I talked with mike on the phone right after I bought it, he thought it sounded like a bad coil when I said itd run fine til it got heated up then itd die off and wouldnt restart hot. So I ordered that coil, it was aftermarket part supposed to work for this model, (obviously my mistake not buying oem part). So that coil didnt do it, and at that point, i actually had 2 issues I think....a wrong/junk stens coil, and that warped muffler due to the gasket being put on wrong. I didnt do any messing with the muffler, i know that for sure. But the coil deal is on me lol. I think I'm in business now though! Thought youd like to hear what I found out.
Would the warped muffler and partially blocked exhaust port make a saw run fine until it's hot but then die off and no restart? Mike was thinking coil, but maybe that was what the sole issue was from the start? Sorry for such a windy post!

Thank you huskihl, I really appreciate that. And heres an update....I removed that coil. And put the 1 on that I had laying on my workbench, that came off my 2159. Fired right up, I had to mess with all 3 jets some to get it fairly tuned in. But no more blubbering, it sounds good, great throttle response, idles nicely, I put it in some wood and she snorts like she should. I believe that did the trick. And now my memory became clear of more to the story once I took that coil off...on the underside I saw that it is a stens 600-600 coil which after hearing stens, I'm pretty sure i remember putting that on there myself 🙄. When I talked with mike on the phone right after I bought it, he thought it sounded like a bad coil when I said itd run fine til it got heated up then itd die off and wouldnt restart hot. So I ordered that coil, it was aftermarket part supposed to work for this model, (obviously my mistake not buying oem part). So that coil didnt do it, and at that point, i actually had 2 issues I think....a wrong/junk stens coil, and that warped muffler due to the gasket being put on wrong. I didnt do any messing with the muffler, i know that for sure. But the coil deal is on me lol. I think I'm in business now though! Thought youd like to hear what I found out.
Would the warped muffler and partially blocked exhaust port make a saw run fine until it's hot but then die off and no restart? Mike was thinking coil, but maybe that was what the sole issue was from the start? Sorry for such a windy post!
I've never had good luck with after market electronic parts. I just won't use them anymore unless I absolutely have to.

I bleve that's a good plan! I appreciate you guys help. Huskihl, how backed up r ya? Weve got a dolmar 6100 could use a wake up. I used to talk saws with Carl miller once in a while after getting a 5105 from him, he said the 6100 is a bad dude once ported. Was always planning to send it to him, but he got out of saws.

Back