Ported saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm calling BS on that. There is no way any saw will last the better part of 20 years of full time falling.
The longevity argument for not owning a ported saw is ridiculous. Most people on this site have never wore out a saw in there life. With that said plenty of ported saws in the hands of full time fallers do just fine. When I was logging I noticed no differance in lifespan between ported and non.
I call BS on you.

I have/had a used 361 that was just ported and tested this spring and never split ever. Ate a set of seals plus the stock ones over the eight years and seven to eight hundred tanks that went through it maybe more. I wore out the piston and needed little else but the usual stuff wearing out like drums, rims other consumables like three worm springs, one worm gear and two drums. Now its ported and on fresh seals, again, with a new piston and rings in it this March. The wrist pin bearing has never worn out or the wrist pin. My rings were at 0.016 gap and 0.011 when they came out with a worn out piston skirt on the intake side from fines. Your BS so move on you long hours hater. It also wore out one carburetor and several air filters and an intake boot. Still got the stock oil pump in it. The case is worn open at the lower front AV mount and it still don't need a jug, case gasket or bearings. Rebuilt the starter once and two Stihl pull ropes plus a few flippy caps. The roller chain catcher saved it nicely with dual medium dogs. It did get a loud ass shotgun muffler this time around and machine work. I hate those shotgun mufflers so.... not my saw anymore so who cares, right? It went to a small weekend worrier company south of me who buys my old saws almost every time I sell mine. This was a bonus for them to have more ported tools from me. Machine work and port work just made it faster, again you hater. It rolls so smooth you shouldn't touch it down bottom. You'd be jealous 😅

Running a stock saw is just so mundane, after running ported saws. I have more than 20 ported saws I use for commercial tree work and as far as them lasting there should be no issues at all, they run cooler and if tuned properly plus maintained they will run for many years, my oldest ported saws are from the 1980`s era. with hundreds of hours run time on them. All of my saws run higher RPM`s than stock saws do with super sharp chains on them there is no need to force the saw to cut, the higher chain speed lets the saw just fall through wood rapidly.
I can vouch for Him , he ported one for me and just what he said!

I call BS on you.

I have/had a used 361 that was just ported and tested this spring and never split ever. Ate a set of seals plus the stock ones over the eight years and seven to eight hundred tanks that went through it maybe more. I wore out the piston and needed little else but the usual stuff wearing out like drums, rims other consumables like three worm springs, one worm gear and two drums. Now its ported and on fresh seals, again, with a new piston and rings in it this March. The wrist pin bearing has never worn out or the wrist pin. My rings were at 0.016 gap and 0.011 when they came out with a worn out piston skirt on the intake side from fines. Your BS so move on you long hours hater. It also wore out one carburetor and several air filters and an intake boot. Still got the stock oil pump in it. The case is worn open at the lower front AV mount and it still don't need a jug, case gasket or bearings. Rebuilt the starter once and two Stihl pull ropes plus a few flippy caps. The roller chain catcher saved it nicely with dual medium dogs. It did get a loud ass shotgun muffler this time around and machine work. I hate those shotgun mufflers so.... not my saw anymore so who cares, right? It went to a small weekend worrier company south of me who buys my old saws almost every time I sell mine. This was a bonus for them to have more ported tools from me. Machine work and port work just made it faster, again you hater. It rolls so smooth you shouldn't touch it down bottom. You'd be jealous 😅
Your falling full time?

I'm calling BS on that. There is no way any saw will last the better part of 20 years of full time falling.
The longevity argument for not owning a ported saw is ridiculous. Most people on this site have never wore out a saw in there life. With that said plenty of ported saws in the hands of full time fallers do just fine. When I was logging I noticed no differance in lifespan between ported and non.
Well bud, nobody said you have to agree with it. I have put in new rings and a clutch case bearing, a couple of seals here and ther Nobody asked about maintaining a saw just that ported saws don't last. I don't use it full time. Haven't for a few years now. It has a sentimental value. My point was that a well ported saw in the right hands can have longevity like a stocker, use and care will effect either. You have your experience and I have mine.

Well bud, nobody said you have to agree with it. I have put in new rings and a clutch case bearing, a couple of seals here and ther Nobody asked about maintaining a saw just that ported saws don't last. I don't use it full time. Haven't for a few years now. It has a sentimental value. My point was that a well ported saw in the right hands can have longevity like a stocker, use and care will effect either. You have your experience and I have mine.
I don't disagree on ported saws lasting.
What I disagree with is a pro faller using the same saw for 20 years. It just doesn't happen.

I don't disagree on ported saws lasting.
What I disagree with is a pro faller using the same saw for 20 years. It just doesn't happen.
Well let's see... When logging you have saws for felling, and saws for limbing and the landing. I cannot claim to know how often or long the saw I inherited was used. I would seriously doubt that a 70+ cc saw was his go to when working in big timber. I am just really glad to have it.

Well let's see... When logging you have saws for felling, and saws for limbing and the landing. I cannot claim to know how often or long the saw I inherited was used. I would seriously doubt that a 70+ cc saw was his go to when working in big timber. I am just really glad to have it.
A landing saw gets beat up more than a felling saw.. No way the same saw was used for 20 years as you CLAIMED.. In fact for a pro 2 years is pushing it.

A landing saw gets beat up more than a felling saw.. No way the same saw was used for 20 years as you CLAIMED.. In fact for a pro 2 years is pushing it.
I claimed nothing. As stated in your quote of my conversation, I cannot know how or otherwise what use and repairs that were done to the saw. How about stop trying to make something out of nothing. I did not own the saw when it was built. Again I cannot know what what has been done to it (p/c, cases replaced or any thing else) before I was in possession of the saw. I am not a logger and don't pretend to be. How about let it go. You have made it clear how you feel.

I claimed nothing. As stated in your quote of my conversation, I cannot know how or otherwise what use and repairs that were done to the saw. How about stop trying to make something out of nothing. I did not own the saw when it was built. Again I cannot know what what has been done to it (p/c, cases replaced or any thing else) before I was in possession of the saw. I am not a logger and don't pretend to be. How about let it go. You have made it clear
You said the following "Yeah I hate to interrupt your tirade but I have an 038 Magnum that was ported Walkers Saw Shop in 1982. Run by an uncle of mine in a production outfit for the better part of 2 decades before he retired"
Sounds like a claim to me. Let's not BS there is no way a pro ran that saw for nearly 20 years. Maybe he ran it for a year or 2 and set in the shed for the next 18...

You said the following "Yeah I hate to interrupt your tirade but I have an 038 Magnum that was ported Walkers Saw Shop in 1982. Run by an uncle of mine in a production outfit for the better part of 2 decades before he retired"
Sounds like a claim to me. Let's not BS there is no way a pro ran that saw for nearly 20 years. Maybe he ran it for a year or 2 and set in the shed for the next 18...
I would like to reiterate that I have no idea what was done to the saw or how it was used. Have stated that repeatedly in this conversation. I did say that the saw was 30yrs old. I did say that it is highly likely that it was not the only saw he used. I would say that you may well be right that he probably shelved it a while after getting it, as most do when they have more than one. I was just trying to say in fairness that ported saws do last. There was no implying that mine was the only opinion that was true.

I would like to reiterate that I have no idea what was done to the saw or how it was used. Have stated that repeatedly in this conversation. I did say that the saw was 30yrs old. I did say that it is highly likely that it was not the only saw he used. I would say that you may well be right that he probably shelved it a while after getting it, as most do when they have more than one. I was just trying to say in fairness that ported saws do last. There was no implying that mine was the only opinion that was true.
You only mentioned those things after you made the claim...

Back