Ported saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colonel428

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just curious to know what people who have had a/saws woods ported by someone reputable think of the finished product. Have you been happy with the performance and longevity? Would you do it again?

Running a stock saw is just so mundane, after running ported saws. I have more than 20 ported saws I use for commercial tree work and as far as them lasting there should be no issues at all, they run cooler and if tuned properly plus maintained they will run for many years, my oldest ported saws are from the 1980`s era. with hundreds of hours run time on them. All of my saws run higher RPM`s than stock saws do with super sharp chains on them there is no need to force the saw to cut, the higher chain speed lets the saw just fall through wood rapidly.

I had one done a few years back and there's no question it's a stronger, better running, (But also noisier, thirstier) saw. The builder is local to me and highly respected, so there's no doubt I got my $300 worth out of the deal. However, I own other saws which are bone stock that I enjoy using every bit as much and I doubt they'll ever see any modifications (sorry Kevin).

Late post. I have a 362cm that was ported at MMWS. It made an amazing difference. Runs cooler, more bottom end and smoother power curve. Woods porting was where I went with this one. It was very worth it. Once you work with a broke in ported saw you will really look at your stockers differently.

Once you go ported, you’ll never want to run stock saw again,longevitiy shouldn’t be a issue with a good builder
You run an engine at 3k rpm or 6k rpm - what lasts the longest hours ... ?
Some boats around here are still running good since 1970, they are running at about 2k rpm.
Thats about 2000 rounds p/min. Your saw is running at 10k rpm's. - not gonna last that long now is it ?

Some boats around here are still running good since 1970, they are running at about 2k rpm.
Thats about 2000 rounds p/min. Your saw is running at 10k rpm's. - not gonna last that long now is it ?
What kind of boat are you talking about that’s turning 2k rpms???

Is that a diesel, never seen a gasoline engine in any boat turn that slow or low RPM.

Yeah I hate to interrupt your tirade but I have an 038 Magnum that was ported Walkers Saw Shop in 1982. Run by an uncle of mine in a production outfit for the better part of 2 decades before he retired. It was passed onto me. It STILL has over 140 compression and just murders trees. Sorry... You were saying...

Yeah I hate to interrupt your tirade but I have an 038 Magnum that was ported Walkers Saw Shop in 1982. Run by an uncle of mine in a production outfit for the better part of 2 decades before he retired. It was passed onto me. It STILL has over 140 compression and just murders trees. Sorry... You were saying...
I'm calling BS on that. There is no way any saw will last the better part of 20 years of full time falling.
The longevity argument for not owning a ported saw is ridiculous. Most people on this site have never wore out a saw in there life. With that said plenty of ported saws in the hands of full time fallers do just fine. When I was logging I noticed no differance in lifespan between ported and non.

Back