Porting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You gonna use the saw for showing cutting cookies at you tube - or milling?
If you are gonna use it for milling that saw is perfect just as it is, you don't want to degrade it's torque by having someone going wild with a grinding tool raising the exhaust timing on it. And brake the nikasil coating between the cylinder and the port bevel, that sure aint gonna make it last longer.

Performance blow away at the local GTG with a full engine rebuild after every run - is quite the opposite of milling.
You gonna run that saw at full tit for long hours each time, it better be up for it - endurance and torque.
Your saw was made for it - just as it is.

If you are gonna use it for milling that saw is perfect just as it is, you don't want to degrade it's torque by having someone going wild with a grinding tool raising the exhaust timing on it. And brake the nikasil coating between the cylinder and the port bevel, that sure aint gonna make it last longer.

Performance blow away at the local GTG with a full engine rebuild after every run - is quite the opposite of milling.
You gonna run that saw at full tit for long hours each time, it better be up for it - endurance and torque.
I only build work saws, but I test my power gains by cutting cookies. If I were to only cut firewood while testing, I’d need 30 pulp cord of logs every year. I’m not in the business of splitting and selling firewood though.

There are many builders out there that build race saws and GTG type saws only, but you’re painting with a broad brush by fitting me in with “cookie cutters”. My goal is to make a saw cut faster using the same size bar as before, or to be able to run a longer bar than what was possible before.

I only build work saws, but I test my power gains by cutting cookies. If I were to only cut firewood while testing, I’d need 30 pulp cord of logs every year. I’m not in the business of splitting and selling firewood though.

There are many builders out there that build race saws and GTG type saws only, but you’re painting with a broad brush by fitting me in with “cookie cutters”. My goal is to make a saw cut faster using the same size bar as before, or to be able to run a longer bar than what was possible before.
Your COMMENT reminds me of an old saying. "You Kicked the CAT out of that DOG FIGHT"

Your COMMENT reminds me of an old saying. "You Kicked the CAT out of that DOG FIGHT"
Some guys give ported chainsaws a bad rap, as some builders do things a little bit differently and have their own opinion, right or wrong, about what makes a good work saw. Maybe they ran a ported saw and it didn’t last and the builder wouldn’t fix it or they ran one and they felt it wasn’t worth the cost. They get soured on the idea and due to that one bad experience, they don’t feel it’s a worthy venture. To each their own, I guess. I just wish they’d educate themselves before saying that all ported saws won’t last or that they can’t perform a specific function better

Some guys give ported chainsaws a bad rap, as some builders do things a little bit differently and have their own opinion, right or wrong, about what makes a good work saw. Maybe they ran a ported saw and it didn’t last and the builder wouldn’t fix it or they ran one and they felt it wasn’t worth the cost. They get soured on the idea and due to that one bad experience, they don’t feel it’s a worthy venture. To each their own, I guess. I just wish they’d educate themselves before saying that all ported saws won’t last or that they can’t perform a specific function better
My DAD was a firm believer in "Because I said so" Most of the time it wasn't. You have a polite way of pointing out differences of opinions.

Well said Kevin.

Some people don't bevel ports, chamfer bolts holes or even bother looking at the rest of the tool. I build my saws specifically for milling now and you and I both know that has nothing to do with how long something will last or it's wear properties progress on parts. The guy who says porting is bad hasn't a clue what is really involved. Sure we could just be lumped in with others but that really should piss off everyone who does do nice work. I know for fact you/I can make the rings last longer that stock. Maybe the guy doesn't understand the time that goes into all those correct shapes, bevels in the right place when needed and dare I say just clean out the port runners?... oh my maybe I've said too much.

Not fixing stock related issues like black transfer ports and choking exhaust with leass not more port intake volume really must make your tools last longer, sure. Ima go over here, be quiet and stick my head in ****ing sand.

Bye now... ported heads suck.... wtf kind of comet is that

Not going to use the saw for "cookie cutting", mostly for milling. I have some 24" diameter walnut and cherry I plan to mill. I think I will leave the Saw stock.

Never heard that one before, don't even know what it means.
When some "person" is Stirring the pot also known as trolling, one of the old cliches was "Throwing a Cat in a DOG FIGHT". This comment Merely tweaks that cliché to say that some one removed the "Thrown in cat" so the Dogs can return to "Business as usual" without the distraction of said cat.. To say "KICK the Cat" suggests that anyone would be close to insane to try and "GRAB" a cat out of a dog fight. It is an expression and no animals were harmed or intended harm with my comment.

Only cookie cutting done with my MM 090 is at GTGs. Folks want to play with one and there is usually a 4-5 foot log to try it
I have ported saws from 22 to 135cc. Use them hard.
They make cutting cords and cords of hardwood much easier.
On me AND the saw.

Thanks saw saw is NOT perfect as is.

Much more torque ………why wouldn’t you port a saw?

Not going to use the saw for "cookie cutting", mostly for milling. I have some 24" diameter walnut and cherry I plan to mill. I think I will leave the Saw stock.
Well you certainly have the absolute perfect saw for that particular job.

Note the cut surface when he's done... he knows what he's doing.

Back