Possible ms400c this coming Tuesday

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id gladdly chuck that fugly 500i for a good welding machine.

For me welders make me money and often save tons of money, saws rarely make money. Maybevits Flipper around for you.

More about saving money then making money. The steering shaft on my riding mower has broken its weld. I have to turn the wheel 1/4 to 1/3 before it catches a burr and steers the tires. Not going to last much longer. I have thought of several ways to fix it, but welding is the ultimate answer. I could buy a new stem, but at $50 or so dollars, I'd rather fix it. It is 23yo mower and all kinds of stuff is nearing the end of its life. It is a great mower, that I only paid $100 for (a big brag for me), and not spending anything else keeps the brag alive. :rock:

Burning wood? I heat almost exclusively with wood. 5+ cords of wood at $150 to $200 a cord, per year. That's HUGE.

I'm with Evan, I wouldn't get a 120V inverter. (In fact, I wouldn't own an inverter, period, since the Chicom jobbies currently flooding the market seem to leak their Magic Smoke fairly fast...but that's another discussion.) If you want a wire feeder, I'd look at some of the older used 240V transformer-based machines such as the HH 187.
Good luck.

120inverter will kick the **** out of a 120transformer.

Everything made and sold and pretended be made in the United states is garage.

The old school 220 transformers do have a following. They are robust work horse machines.

Im uderly impressed with my computer controled machine. But the old hobart 180 keeps on burning wire and doing more than its specked

500i along with a back up 70cc saw would be an ideal saw plan for 5cord a year wood burner

Looks like the saw has been cancelled. The revolver funds are now going towards a welder.

I had been thinking of getting a welder for a few years, and asked a friend that has developed quite the skills and has the knowledge. The cheap one I was considering has been advised against. I have to spend quite a bit more then I was thinking and the new funds are going towards this.

View attachment 944731

I have that very welder and it’s been good to me. Anything 1/4” and heaver needs to be preheated for good penetration.

120inverter will kick the **** out of a 120transformer.
Maybe. After the warranty runs out...not so much. After 10 years, I wouldn't give you a nickel for one.

Transformers last for generations. I've got a Miller from the 70s, still puts out 465A of AC. Picked it up a few years back for $300 with pedal. Good luck getting into a 400A-class inerter for under $20k.

A lot of inerters are also specked pretty funny, even American ones, for example the Miller Dynasty 200. At 200A, duty cycle is about 10%
lol8.gif
and max current with everything WFO and 0% duty cycle is a whopping 207A.
In contrast, duty cycle on my transformer-based Syncrowave 250 at 250A is 40%, it goes up to 310A, and I can run 150A 24/7/365. If you want horsepower and headroom, "big iron" transformers are the only way to fly.

Years ago one of my welding friends recommended the Handlers. I have had a Handler 135 for 15 plus years. He also has Miller welders. The little Handler works running off my little Honda 5000 watt generator when I need to do field repairs. In the shop they do like having 12 gauge house or garage wiring and a 20 amp breaker. The solid core wire with some 75/25 gas works well. The Handler is a bit easier to run than a stick welder sometimes.

On the other hand I do have an Everlast dual voltage AC/DC tig/stick machine and I ordered a bigger Everlast wire feed machine. Both based on inverters. Welding is hobby/repair thing, not a profession.

If you can find someone who has a Handler in your area that is willing to give you a short lesson and welding session you might find you like the idea of a wire feed welder. The name brand welders use chinese parts in some of their welders. I waited for months to get a Lincoln inverter welder that never came in. The welding supply house was waiting a few months for a board to repair the model I wanted. Inverter/transformer. Transformer may be king, or maybe not. Kind of like Stihl/Echo/Dolmar/Husqvarna/ or maybe it is like 025 vs. 250. ;-) I want a 362 but as little as I use my 311 I keep using it. Or maybe I should say 311 vs. 400.

Got it! Almost.

Tuesday in Missoula, Murdochs had 7 of the 400c for $949 (20" B&C). No way.

Today in Pinehurst Id, they had 1 and the owner made me a deal of $800 + Tax, and I was able to take the saw with no B&C. :happybanana:

Actually, I was not able to "take" it, since this was a cash deal, and I had only a hundred on me. But it is mine, tomorrow or in the next couple of days, when I return with the Balance Due.

It has been quite a year.
Sold the 290 and the 461 for what I paid, almost and exactly
Bought the 261c, the 500i and the 400c

I'm Done. Thats it.
Montana - I knew after poking and poking we’d get you to buy that 400 too. Now we’ve got the same lineup: 261, 400, 500i. Nice work.

Montana - I knew after poking and poking we’d get you to buy that 400 too. Now we’ve got the same lineup: 261, 400, 500i. Nice work.

I knew someone (not me) was responsible for my actions. :yes:

Christmas comes early. 😁

I've got logs in the yard all ready to break-in both these saws come springtime.

CIMG0001.JPG

At GIE, I spent a few minutes in the Stihl booth. Since it was more of a landscape focused show, most people weren't interseted in chainsaws too much.

I handled a 400 & 500i briefly back-to-back. The 500i felt like a beast of a saw. The 400 by comparison felt very impressive. Much lighter & nimbler feeling. I know that they're not even in the same class. But I bet that 400 is a blast to use. I could see it being someone's "ultimate" only saw...

Id love to have a syncrowave and dynasty to play with.

Latly ive had a 461 on my mind then I see the 500i and think i want a 462.

How big is a 400 Im guessing 50/60cc??

67cc might be able to fall in the 70cc category with a 25" bar. Nice

Back