Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the four way wedge, six way wedge and box wedge. Only have had time to play with one day when not so muddy. Did a face cord of wood in about 15 minutes all by myself. I get a couple guys working with me and sure we can put out wood quicker. Used the box wedge. We will see if I end up switching to one of the other wedges for smaller stuff. Right now the bigger stuff is on top of the pile.

I’ve never seen such a narrow road between rows of houses.

I’m just getting started at my own place. I’ve helped my dad for years. Been on a chainsaw binge lately. Im trying to fill up this 12x20 shed.

Attachments

• 47518439-418D-49B5-8B35-F2750836E4AB.jpeg
    47518439-418D-49B5-8B35-F2750836E4AB.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 7CE633B4-55D9-4F5E-BA03-581293AA7A7E.jpeg
    7CE633B4-55D9-4F5E-BA03-581293AA7A7E.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 30
3 1/2 truckloads of this beautiful wood. I think its elm but it splits easy and isn't stringy. Im hoping its a quality wood because I'll be doing a lot of cutting on it. A farmer knocked over a row on his acreage and I'm trying to get a bunch before he burns it. Pretty rare for me to find this much quality wood around here.
20201231_163934.jpg
20210102_150810.jpg20201231_160920.jpg20201231_165338.jpg

Picking with a Hatcheroon.

Not worthy of a separate thread and I wasn't sure where to post this but thought it might fit here.

Last year I made a hatcheroon from a carpenter's hatchet. I intended to give it to a friend who was having back troubles. He splits wood several days a week for our local firewood ministry and I thought he could use the hatchet end to de-branch firewood before splitting. But the sight of it scared him such that he wouldn't take it.

I do most of my cutting for the same firewood ministry. The winters have been mild and my weekends have been absorbed by the ministry the last two years to the extent I haven't burned any wood or split any for myself. Fast forward to this past Christmas - we had a nice snow for Christmas and the family wanted a fire. I found I had no dry wood. I determined that that wouldn't happen again. By New Year's Day the snow was gone so I went out in the drizzling rain to bring in some wood. I found my wood piles to be in bad shape, but I found a new use for the hatcheroon. I hate seeing nature reclaim all my hard work and found the hatchet end was great for de-punking splits that I pulled from the pile with the point. I salvage two yard carts. Probably another one still there for another day. Hope to get a burn permit next week so I can clean up the mess and start again.

Picking through a pile.
IMG_5945.JPG

Mostly red oak.
IMG_5947.JPG

Ron

3 1/2 truckloads of this beautiful wood. I think its elm but it splits easy and isn't stringy. Im hoping its a quality wood because I'll be doing a lot of cutting on it. A farmer knocked over a row on his acreage and I'm trying to get a bunch before he burns it. Pretty rare for me to find this much quality wood around here.
View attachment 879702
View attachment 879701View attachment 879703View attachment 879704

Doesn't look like elm. Guessing cottonwood. Will dry quick when split. Works nice in the shoulder season. Can't beat free BTU's!!
Most of that looks like willow to me. Wouldn't surprise me if there was Cottonwood in there too though. Hopefully the selection gets better as you dig deeper

I use selling firewood as a means of getting rid of my wood that I take down throughout the year in my side gig. I usually work two evenings a week and then one day on the weekend so I had to come up with a way to light up the area so I could continue working. Found a fairly cheap LED light that I can power off of my USB ports in my truck. Made a mount to go in my stake pocket an ta-da... light. The ash wood flies out the door but I've got a bunch of maple and what looks like red oak ready to go too.
File_001.jpegFile_002.jpegFile_004.jpegFile_000.jpeg

Most of that looks like willow to me. Wouldn't surprise me if there was Cottonwood in there too though. Hopefully the selection gets better as you dig deeper
Spoke to the landowner and he said it was austree (willow hybrid). At least my campfire wood is stocked up for this summer lol.

Was supposed to get to 30 today so I figured I would make some rounds on wood I don't want to lift. I make the rounds then split them into 4's with the skid steer splitter and finish them on the SS. Most of the wood I did today was 22"-28". My @huskihl 572 is wearing a 28" bar and the log is about 25". Mostly oak but I had 1 elm and 2 ash logs mixed in. logpile.jpglogpile1.jpglogpile2.jpglogpile3.jpg

Was supposed to get to 30 today so I figured I would make some rounds on wood I don't want to lift. I make the rounds then split them into 4's with the skid steer splitter and finish them on the SS. Most of the wood I did today was 22"-28". My @huskihl 572 is wearing a 28" bar and the log is about 25". Mostly oak but I had 1 elm and 2 ash logs mixed in. View attachment 880871View attachment 880870View attachment 880869View attachment 880868
How do you like it? Any issues?

Back