Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my firewood area. It is all set up to be a streamlined one way operation, because I don't like picking anything up more times than I have to.

I can back a pickup/trailer in, right up to the splitter, pull rounds off the tailgate and split, then toss right into the shed. If it's dry enough to be going straight into the shed. I also keep a big round next to the back door of the wood shed for hand splitting. Otherwise I usually prefer to store rounds for seasoning, and have put together a few skids to stack on.

1636736103494.png

Here's a view from the inside of the shed looking out. It was a perfect straight shot backing in until my in-laws decided that was where they wanted to park their camper. To be fair we invited them to move on to our land and build a cabin, so they're doing the best they can. I can still get in around the camper.

1636736229192.png

Here's a picture of the current dry supply. This is the latest I have ever gone in the year without a full woodshed, and I've been in emergency mode this week trying to remedy that. I would say the shed is roughly 5/7 full at the moment. I'm disappointed with how warm it's been getting into mid-Nov this year. Only had a little snow this week and it doesn't last.

1636736363080.png

And lastly is a pic showing from the door to the house to the wood shed. We just drag a little wagon out to the wood shed here and can get 2-4 days of wood at a time. I was never a fan of making 10 armload trips to load the rack/box in the house.

1636736771138.png

This is only our 2nd winter on this property, and we run a small family construction company, so the wood pile isn't as "developed" as I'd prefer. We burn Doug Fir, Larch, Grand Fir and Lodgepole Pine. Most else I pass on, though a little Cedar mixed in here and there is pleasant. If I had time to be picky I'd skip the Grand Fir and Lodgepole, but it's easy to get real close to the house. Though the Grand Fir does smell nice. We have a little Hemlock & various Birch around but it's not yet been convenient to take for burning.

Here's my firewood area. It is all set up to be a streamlined one way operation, because I don't like picking anything up more times than I have to.

I can back a pickup/trailer in, right up to the splitter, pull rounds off the tailgate and split, then toss right into the shed. If it's dry enough to be going straight into the shed. I also keep a big round next to the back door of the wood shed for hand splitting. Otherwise I usually prefer to store rounds for seasoning, and have put together a few skids to stack on.

View attachment 940949

Here's a view from the inside of the shed looking out. It was a perfect straight shot backing in until my in-laws decided that was where they wanted to park their camper. To be fair we invited them to move on to our land and build a cabin, so they're doing the best they can. I can still get in around the camper.

View attachment 940950

Here's a picture of the current dry supply. This is the latest I have ever gone in the year without a full woodshed, and I've been in emergency mode this week trying to remedy that. I would say the shed is roughly 5/7 full at the moment. I'm disappointed with how warm it's been getting into mid-Nov this year. Only had a little snow this week and it doesn't last.

View attachment 940951

And lastly is a pic showing from the door to the house to the wood shed. We just drag a little wagon out to the wood shed here and can get 2-4 days of wood at a time. I was never a fan of making 10 armload trips to load the rack/box in the house.

View attachment 940952

This is only our 2nd winter on this property, and we run a small family construction company, so the wood pile isn't as "developed" as I'd prefer. We burn Doug Fir, Larch, Grand Fir and Lodgepole Pine. Most else I pass on, though a little Cedar mixed in here and there is pleasant. If I had time to be picky I'd skip the Grand Fir and Lodgepole, but it's easy to get real close to the house. Though the Grand Fir does smell nice. We have a little Hemlock & various Birch around but it's not yet been convenient to take for burning.
The pic of your current dry supply reminds me a lot of grandfather's wood shed. Good memories.

Just about have my splitting area cleaned up for the winter. I'm sure I'll get a new pile going next spring. Each rack is a full cord of wood. Primarily oak, ash and hickory. A bit of other mixed hardwoods here and there.

Attachments

• 20211112_114855.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 33
I love having a large wood shed for personal heating wood. It's a game changer, from covering piles, and dealing with snow. Especially with the shorter daylight, it's not a problem going out and getting a wheelbarrow load of beautiful dry splits after dark.
I agree.

It was going to be two wood sheds facing each other, with shed roofs when I started. Drive between. One side for one year, one side for the next, and rotate. Got started, and decided to connect them.
The left bay had repurposed board fencing for flooring where the small ramp is. The rest is 2" x 4" on edge, cleated on the top in places, to stack firewood on. 8' removable sections. 4" x 4" x 8' vertical posts in the dirt 2' to stack against. Wasn't much of a plan to start with, butIMG_5490.jpgworked out well enough. The header should have been higher. It ended up about 32' wide x 24' deep. I have patched the roof many times due to falling limbs poking threw.

4CP488Bh.jpg

Back